Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSTOTY '09: Luxury SUVs
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year '09 competition, please see this thread.

BMW X5 xDrive35d
Base MSRP:
$51,200
Available Engines: 3.0 liter DOHC twin-turbocharged diesel 24-valve inline-6 with 265 HP and 425 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 19 City/26 Highway
Curb Weight: 5225 lbs.

Interior photo is of non-diesel 2007 model:

BMW X6
Base MSRP:
$55,900 (xDrive35i), $66,650 (xDrive50i)
Available Engines: 3.0 liter DOHC twin-turbocharged 24-valve inline-6 with 300 HP and 300 ft.-lbs. of torque, 4.4 liter DOHC twin-turbocharged 32-valve V8 with 400 HP and 450 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 15 City/20 Highway (xDrive35i), 13/18 (xDrive50i)
Curb Weight: 4894-5269 lbs.

Cadillac Escalade Hybrid
Base MSRP:
$73,135
Available Engines: 6.0 liter OHV 16-valve V8 with multiple displacement system and parallel hybrid drive system and 332 HP and 367 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 4-speed automatic transmission
Available Drivetrains: Rear-wheel drive or full-time 4-wheel drive with low-range gearing
EPA Fuel Economy: 20 City/21 Highway (RWD), N/A (4WD is too heavy for EPA estimates)
Curb Weight: 5932-6161 lbs.

Infiniti FX
Base MSRP:
$42,150 (FX35), $58,400 (FX50)
Available Engines: 3.5 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 303 HP and 262 ft.-lbs. of torque, 5.0 liter DOHC 32-valve V8 with 390 HP and 369 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 7-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive (FX35 only) or All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 16 City/23 Highway (RWD FX35), 16/21 (AWD FX35), 14/20 (FX50)
Curb Weight: 4094-4575 lbs.

Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI
Base MSRP:
$42,800
Available Engines: 3.0 liter DOHC twin-turbocharged diesel 24-valve V6 with 221 HP and 407 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Drivetrains: All-wheel drive with low-range gearing
EPA Fuel Economy: 17 City/25 Highway
Curb Weight: 5086 lbs.

Interior photo is of standard VR6 model:
Mitlov
BMW X5 35d. Great drivetrain, decent dynamics, good looks.
Razor
X6, because there's no better way in this segment to say a good old "Fuck You" to sanity.
clarkma5
I know the V6 TDI is the one I'd own if I gave it more than 5 minutes of reasonable thought, thanks to its nice looks, right size, and combination of fuel economy and performance for the money (it's ten grand less than the X5 diesel)...but I look at that ridiculous X6 dune-buggy-from-hell and I think "that is sex...I want that".
DB9
The X6 looks incredible irl. Like my jaw dropped. But, sadly, I don't think those good looks justify the 55k price tag and four seats. I went with the infiniti.
mung35
Does the production Escalade Hybrid come with that many douchy hybrid signs on it?
clarkma5
QUOTE(mung35 @ Mar 10 2009, 04:50 PM) *
Does the production Escalade Hybrid come with that many douchy hybrid signs on it?

Yes, they're standard. And there's no delete option either.
DB9
QUOTE(mung35 @ Mar 10 2009, 06:50 PM) *

maybe they put them on their to make owners think that the $73,000 price tag is justified.
4wheelfreak
I like the idea of an X6 with a 6-inch lift and incredibly knobby tires, but until then I'll go for the only SUV in this group that can actually leave the tarmac (and return in one piece)- the Touraeg.
dukenukem
Cadillac Escalade Hybrid - The newest must have thing for yuppies with a ecomental thing. A joke for everyone else.
VW Towrag - Nice specs but dont like the interior.
Infiniti FX - No idea how it is so doesnt matter.
X6 - Looks retarded. And it is not bonkers. The Lamborghini LM002 was bonkers. This is just ugly/ weird
That leaves us with the X5 which is the nicest to look at and to drive. So i vote for that.
Mitlov
The X6 would make more sense if it came with dolphin-skin upholstery and an indentured servant.
moe
x6, because it's sexy.
infinity
I can't believe that hideous blob is winning this.
Flaw
There's an X5 in my apartment complex that just sounds so smooth when it drives by, it has to get my vote.
maxima302
The BMWs are probably good cars, but they aren't that distinctive to me, and their interiors are awful (that gear-shifter is the dumbest looking thing). The x5 is cool, diesels are cool, but I'm not convinced there is a market for a $51,000 diesel SUV...at least here in the US. On the other hand, the FX gets deplorable MPGs, especially the FX50S. A guy in the office is driving one and routinely gets 10-12mpgs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.