Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSTOTY '09: Compact SUVs
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year '09 competition, please see this thread.

Audi Q5
Base MSRP:
$37,200
Available Engines: 3.2 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 270 HP and 243 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/23 Highway
Curb Weight: 4100 lbs. (estimated)

Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute/Mercury Mariner (including Hybrid models)
Base MSRP:
$19,730 (Tribute 2.5), $20,435 (Escape 2.5), $22,650 (Mariner 2.5), $23,055 (Tribute V6), $23,660 (Mariner V6), $24,465 (Escape V6), $28,175 (Tribute Hybrid), $29,645 (Escape Hybrid), $30,090 (Mariner Hybrid)
Available Engines: 2.5 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 171 HP and 171 ft.-lbs. of torque, 2.5 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with hybrid drive system and 153 HP and 136 ft.-lbs. of torque, 3.0 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 240 HP and 223 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual (2.5 FWD only, N/A on Mariner), 6-speed automatic (N/A on Hybrid), or CVT (Hybrid only)
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive or part-time 4-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 34 City/31 Highway (Hybrid FWD), 29/27 (Hybrid 4WD), 22/28 (FWD 2.5 5MT), 20/28 (FWD 2.5 6AT), 19/25 (4WD 2.5), 18/26 (FWD V6), 17/24 (4WD V6)
Curb Weight: 3291-3843 lbs.

Subaru Forester
Base MSRP:
$19,995 (Base), $26,195 (Turbo)
Available Engines: 2.5 liter DOHC 16-valve horizontally-opposed flat-4 with 170 HP and 170 ft.-lbs. of torque, 2.5 liter DOHC turbocharged 16-valve horizontally-opposed flat-4 with 224 HP and 226 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual (base only) or 4-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 20 City/26 Highway (Base), 19/24 (Turbo)
Curb Weight: 3250-3460 lbs.

Volkswagen Tiguan
Base MSRP:
$23,200
Available Engines: 2.0 liter DOHC turbocharged 16-valve inline-4 with 200 HP and 206 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual (FWD only) or 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive or All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 19 City/26 Highway (FWD 6MT), 18/24 (FWD & AWD 6AT)
Curb Weight: 3433-3631 lbs.

Razor
I hate the Tiguan because it has the RNS-510 and I don't. tongue.gif Seriously though, it is a good car, but everything here gets eclipsed by miles by the Q5.
clarkma5
I actually decided to go for the Escape/Tribute/Mariner crew, much to my surprise. The Q5's expensive, the Forester has dropped the 5-speed/Turbo combo and has a lackluster interior, and the Tiguan is nice but the price really climbs quickly as you add on features.

We had a 2001 Tribute V6 4WD. It was one of the best cars our family ever owned, fun to drive, spacious inside, compact outside. With the new engines, new 6-speed auto, and various other refinements, I still think the Tribute can be a rather competitive car in this segment, especially since it's cheaper than most of the newer options.
Benny
id go for the tiger iguana
Frederf
The Forrester, even without the XT trim, I think is the best. The Tribute is/was great to be sure but for the same money the Forrester is just as good.
4wheelfreak
The Q5, just for its looks- though I'm still trying to figure out how it weighs 800 pounds more than its competition.
dukenukem
The Q5 is hideous.
The Tribute/ Mariner/ Escape are nice but too rental car for my taste.
The Tiguan resembles a fat kid in person.
The Forester has a turbo therefore it wins. Oh and its great as a family car too.
Bjorn
I feel betrayed by the Forester. It used to skirt around the SUV issue by being a tall wagon. I used to consider it the only true crossover. But that ethos has been abandoned in a misguided attempt to apeal to the CRV/Rav4 crowd.

But it's still a Subaru, and if someone had a gun to my head and forced me to choose it's the one I would choose.
Mitlov
What a wretched set of options. I'd go with the Tiguan if it wasn't offensively expensive with AWD. If you want 4Motion, you're at $29k, bare minimum. As for the Q5, I can't think of a single reason why I'd want one over an A4 Avant, so it fails. The Subaru is just lame.

And that leaves me with the Escape. And here's a thought. If you bought an Escape instead of a Q5, you could buy a Civic Si with the price difference, and just use the Escape when you needed to haul the family dogs. Not bad.
moe
Geez, I'd rather have syphilis than any of these.

I think the Q5 is too expensive for what it is, and I really think the Tiguan fills the same spot in the market (albeit slightly downmarket) for considerably less.

I would've voted for the Scooby, but I too, like Bjorn feel betrayed by the fact that it's grown into a proper SUV. Maybe that's what the market wants, but the fact that it was a a thinly veiled wagon, regardless of how nondescript it was, kept it my favorite compact SUV for many, many years. The new one's also considerably softer, with softer suspension, and increased body roll. All that just goes to further cement my vote for the Tiguan.
Benny
tiquan+APR stage 1 ecu= badass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.