Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY '09: Family Cars
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year '09 competition, please see this thread.

Dodge Journey
Base MSRP:
$20,625 (2.4), $23,625 (V6)
Available Engines: 2.4 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 173 HP and 166 ft-lbs. of torque, 3.5 liter SOHC 24-valve V6 with 235 HP and 232 ft-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 4-speed automatic (2.4 only) or 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities (V6 only)
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive or All-wheel drive (V6 only)
EPA Fuel Economy: 19 City/25 Highway (2.4), 16/23 (V6 FWD), 15/22 (V6 AWD)
Curb Weight: 3796-4239 lbs.

Hyundai Sonata
Base MSRP:
$18,700 (2.4), $22,450 (V6)
Available Engines: 2.4 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 175 HP and 168 ft.-lbs. of torque (168/163 in PZEV states), 3.3 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 249 HP and 229 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual (N/A on V6) or 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 22 City/32 Highway (2.4 5AT), 21/32 (2.4 5MT), 19/29 (V6)
Curb Weight: 3292-3494 lbs.

Kia Optima
Base MSRP:
$17,495 (2.4), $21,695 (V6)
Available Engines: 2.4 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 175 HP and 169 ft.-lbs. of torque, 2.7 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 194 HP and 184 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual (N/A on V6) or 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
EPA Fuel Economy: 22 City/32 Highway (2.4), 20/28 (V6)
Curb Weight: 3157-3294 lbs.

Mazda6
Base MSRP:
$18,550 (2.5), $24,130 (V6)
Available Engines: 2.5 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 170 HP and 167 ft.-lbs. of torque (168/166 in PZEV states), 3.7 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 272 HP and 269 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual (2.5 only), 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities (2.5 only), or 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities (V6 only)
EPA Fuel Economy: 21 City/30 Highway (2.5 5AT), 20/29 (2.5 6MT), 17/25 (V6)
Curb Weight: 3258-3547 lbs.

Toyota Venza
Base MSRP:
$25,975 (2.7), $27,800 (V6)
Available Engines: 2.7 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 182 HP and 182 ft.-lbs. of torque, 3.5 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 268 HP and 246 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive or All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 21 City/29 Highway (2.7 FWD), 20/28 (V6 FWD), 19/26 (2.7 AWD), 18/25 (V6 AWD)
Curb Weight: 3760-4045 lbs.

Volkswagen Routan
Base MSRP:
$25,200 (3.8), $33,600 (4.0)
Available Engines: 3.8 liter OHV 12-valve V6 with 197 HP and 230 ft.-lbs. of torque, 4.0 liter SOHC 24-valve V6 with 251 HP and 259 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
EPA Fuel Economy: 17 City/25 Highway (4.0), 16/23 (3.8)
Curb Weight: 4335-4621 lbs.

Razor
Holy shit... I just voted for a Toyota in DSCOTY. Venza all the way... it's beautiful, available AWD and V6 seem solid, and aside from the Mazda 6, which is boring overall, it seems like it would be the best to drive here. Venza, Venza, Venza, all the way.
Bjorn
-Journey...eh...I just don't like it (might have something to do with the fact that the photo-radar vans here are all Dodge Journys, and are the only ones ever seen here).
-Hyundai...I think the Sonata is getting a bit long in the tooth...although it's a pretty good looking car.
-Routan is just a re badged Caravan, which is silly IMO.
-Kia is a Kia...and call me stupid, but I don't want to own a Kia.

I think the new Mazda 6 is pretty good looking, the second cheapest in this category and will probably be an OK car to drive, gimme a wagon and I'll be happy.

EDIT, oh ya, the Toyota. Toyota bores me...and a crossover is just an van in denial IMHO.
Mitlov
Sonata.

The Mazda6 is really hideous in person, in my opinion, and I've heard they're dulled the driving experience since the first generation. And while it's probably the sportiest midsize-to-large FWD sedan out there right now, it still doesn't strike me as a car that would satisfy the enthusiast side of your personality.

The Sonata, on the other hand, is at peace with the fact that it's a comfortable family sedan, not a sport sedan. It looks magnificent, in and out, and I was impressed with the materials, refinement, and build quality even before the facelift, which improved all of those fronts. So I'd choose the Sonata.

The Venza is my second choice, but I prefer sedans to crossovers.
moe
The 6. It's not as sharp as the world-model (actually in the ME we get the global model, and the US-spec badged as the "Ultra"), but it's still at least as good as anything else in the category. It also looks sexy for a midsizer outside, and pretty good inside too.

I also really like the Journey. I've yet to drive one, but I think it's a massive step forward for Chrysler. Good built quality, respectable dynamics, competitive pricing...it really is a good family hauler.
clarkma5
I, too, went for the Sonata. Going down the list:

Journey - A genuinely attractive mainstream model from Dodge for a change! The interior looks pretty decent in person, too, and the pricing is OK. Still only a midpack entrant in these wars, but at least Dodge isn't a distant last like usual.

Sonata - The 2009 refresh really transformed the Sonata from "viable option" to "class standard". Alright, it's a soft car, but it's really well screwed together, fuel efficient for its power output, and offers a lot of features for the cost. To get a loaded Accord would cost you $5000 more than a Sonata Limited, which just isn't worth it.

Optima - I really want to like the Optima for being a half-size smaller than the other cars here...it just doesn't come with the discount to match.

Mazda6 - This car feels painfully like Mazda selling out to me. The 4-cylinder model is supposed to be somewhat disappointing and the overpowered V6 sounds like a very un-Mazdalike situation of grunt over finesse. Plus, it's gigantic and is no longer the clear-cut dynamic winner in its segment.

Toyota Venza - It is very lovely to look at, though the interior still has some noticeable Toyotaness (look at that awful dash/steering wheel grain, for instance). In the end, I think it's too focused on having big rims (those tires are 'spensive!) and looks to be a viable family car and it's too dowdy to be a luxury contender. Plus it would weigh hundreds of pounds less if Toyota would just go ahead and build us a Camry wagon instead, which is basically what this is in disguise.

VW Routan - I applaud VW for making the improvements they've made to a mediocre van, but it still feels like they needed to go a lot farther. In this group, it looks expensive to buy and a bit of a downer to live with.
Benny
well..... i guess its the hyundai.
Frederf
Sonata
dukenukem
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Mar 3 2009, 02:47 PM) *
The Sonata, on the other hand, is at peace with the fact that it's a comfortable family sedan, not a sport sedan. It looks magnificent, in and out, and I was impressed with the materials, refinement, and build quality even before the facelift, which improved all of those fronts. So I'd choose the Sonata.

This.

A very very close 2nd is the Mazda6
moe
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 4 2009, 02:58 AM) *
Mazda6 - This car feels painfully like Mazda selling out to me. The 4-cylinder model is supposed to be somewhat disappointing and the overpowered V6 sounds like a very un-Mazdalike situation of grunt over finesse. Plus, it's gigantic and is no longer the clear-cut dynamic winner in its segment.

I mentioned it in my vote, but the US-spec Mazda6 is known as the Mazda6 Ultra here, and rather than compete directly with the Accord and Camry. It's only offered fully-loaded and with the V6 here, so it really functions more as a replacement for the Xedos/Milennia. We still get the full range of half-size smaller world-spec 6s...which are just awesome cars. So I really don't think it's a sell-out at all.
clarkma5
Well we don't get the world-spec 6's, sadly.
b0mb3r
purely based on the looks, mazda 6 hands down... i have seen a few of those on a road and i like it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.