Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windows mobile apps like iiphone?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
redls1bird
Well, it looks like im going to be upgrading to a smartphone with windows mobile. Is anyone familiar with windows mobile, and the apps available for it? The iphone has a ton of kickass apps, but I just dont see the PC counterpart being quite so hip. Anyone know a place to find stuff like that?
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 1 2009, 10:34 PM) *
Well, it looks like im going to be upgrading to a smartphone with windows mobile. Is anyone familiar with windows mobile, and the apps available for it? The iphone has a ton of kickass apps, but I just dont see the PC counterpart being quite so hip. Anyone know a place to find stuff like that?

Take the number of apps the iPhone has and multiply it by infinity. That's how many WM apps are in existence. If you're trying to do something with a WM phone, an app exists to do it. Well, except the farting app (isn't the iPhone so great?).

I've had a WM phone since summer 2007 (the same one, not very advanced, Windows Mobile 5 on an HTC XV6700), and I've loved it, save the size of the device itself, but one of these days I'm going to cough up the cash necessary to get my hands on an HTC Touch Pro. Mmmmmmmm. I think it's better looking than the iPhone and I like the interface more. And I'm usually an Apple fanboy.
redls1bird
Im not really that into touch phones, save the iphone just for its geeky quality it had when it first came out. Im looking at a Samsung i600. Its the same body as the original blackjack, but also has built in wifi and an additional camera on the face of the phone for video calls. Its slightly dated, but i just like the form of it.
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 2 2009, 08:47 AM) *
Im not really that into touch phones, save the iphone just for its geeky quality it had when it first came out. Im looking at a Samsung i600. Its the same body as the original blackjack, but also has built in wifi and an additional camera on the face of the phone for video calls. Its slightly dated, but i just like the form of it.

Yeah, it looks a bit dated but those are good features to have (Wi-Fi is FTW). Any idea which version of WM comes on it on the carrier you plan to get it on?
redls1bird
it comes WM5 , but capable of 6 (so therefor 6.1 as well?) I'll be using it with At&t . I wanted wifi so i didnt have to sign up for a bigger data plan to use its features.

Im pretty excited as im watching two on ebay that are ending today. I use the swoop method : Choose the highest price you intend to pay for the item, watch it til its virtually over, then, swoop in and bid your maximum amount with about 3-5 seconds to go. This way, i dont get into a bidding war and end up paying more than i intended for my item.
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 2 2009, 01:20 PM) *
it comes WM5 , but capable of 6 (so therefor 6.1 as well?) I'll be using it with At&t . I wanted wifi so i didnt have to sign up for a bigger data plan to use its features.

Im pretty excited as im watching two on ebay that are ending today. I use the swoop method : Choose the highest price you intend to pay for the item, watch it til its virtually over, then, swoop in and bid your maximum amount with about 3-5 seconds to go. This way, i dont get into a bidding war and end up paying more than i intended for my item.

It comes WM5, but can you officially upgrade to 6.1? You'll get sick of WM5 pretty fast I think, without having a touchscreen.
redls1bird
any idea the going price of 6?

Here's the link for the current phone im watching. Please dont steal my phone! lol

I based the upgrade comment on this. It may or not be possible, but if it really is a operating system, i dont see why not.
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 2 2009, 02:27 PM) *
any idea the going price of 6?

Here's the link for the current phone im watching. Please dont steal my phone! lol
I based the upgrade comment on this. It may or not be possible, but if it really is a operating system, i dont see why not.

It would be a free upgrade through either AT&T or Samsung. If not, there are illegal, homebrew updates that are not supported and if used incorrectly could brick the device. I don't recommend those. I could use that to get WM6 on my phone but I decided against it and just installed a new Today shell interface instead.
redls1bird
thumbs_down.gif

Razor
Indeed.
moe
I really, really don't like WM5. My dad has had it on his last three phones, the Qtek 2020, iMate Jam, and iMate JAMin (which he currently uses), and I just can't come to terms with it. It's not a particularly slick interface, it looks & feels dated, and is it just me or is it just confusing to get to certain menus? I much prefer Symbian (hook it up with a Nokia E61i if you can), or a newer version of Windows Mobile.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Mar 2 2009, 04:58 PM) *
I really, really don't like WM5. My dad has had it on his last three phones, the Qtek 2020, iMate Jam, and iMate JAMin (which he currently uses), and I just can't come to terms with it. It's not a particularly slick interface, it looks & feels dated, and is it just me or is it just confusing to get to certain menus? I much prefer Symbian (hook it up with a Nokia E61i if you can), or a newer version of Windows Mobile.

Yeah, using it without any mods sucks. However, I use a modified shell that is really easy to navigate and is touch-friendly. I can't wait to pick up a Touch Pro for the TouchFLO 3D, though, IMO it puts Mac OS X Mobile to shame.
redls1bird
So I scored the phone for 112.50 shipped, brand new. I also found where windows mobile 6 was offered for free for this phone right up til oct of last year.... now i cant find it at all. Im going to contact Samsung and see if they can help me out at all.
moe
QUOTE(Razor @ Mar 3 2009, 04:27 AM) *
Yeah, using it without any mods sucks. However, I use a modified shell that is really easy to navigate and is touch-friendly. I can't wait to pick up a Touch Pro for the TouchFLO 3D, though, IMO it puts Mac OS X Mobile to shame.

I dunno about that man. One of my friends has the Touch HD, and the other has the Touch Diamond, and I wasn't really that impressed. It sure is slick, but it's also a bit clunky. I think the only touch interface that holds a candle to the iPhone is the Symbian Series 40 touch interface on the Nokia 5800.
redls1bird
Finally got my phone this weekend. Ive been familiarizing myself with WM5, which isnt all that bad. It seems like there is alot of cluter, and duplicate menus and such. I found where i can update my phone to WM6, but its altered software for unbranded phones. People have had good results, with only bricks coming from blackjack users who couldnt wait for their version of the software. I have a contact open with Samsung though to see if they have an official version they might extend to me instead.
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 9 2009, 01:29 PM) *
Finally got my phone this weekend. Ive been familiarizing myself with WM5, which isnt all that bad. It seems like there is alot of cluter, and duplicate menus and such. I found where i can update my phone to WM6, but its altered software for unbranded phones. People have had good results, with only bricks coming from blackjack users who couldnt wait for their version of the software. I have a contact open with Samsung though to see if they have an official version they might extend to me instead.

I hope you get the official! Glad you like it, though. If you need anything for WM5 in the meanwhile, let me know.
redls1bird
Thanks for the help!!
redls1bird
I managed to get WM6 loaded on my i600 without killing it. It seems a little bit quicker (emphasis on a little) . I do like the automatic update option though.
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 11 2009, 11:50 PM) *
I managed to get WM6 loaded on my i600 without killing it. It seems a little bit quicker (emphasis on a little) . I do like the automatic update option though.

Very nice! I take by "managed" you did it unofficially. Which version did you get? The today screen is miles better than WM5, yes?
redls1bird
Well, i found the original update file provided by samsung last year. So i used that, but there were no official instructions, so i was following a procedure listed on a blog and some forums.. It felt like homebrew.

The default screen for my phone is set to a "cardwheel" display.

I only have a few options that are preloaded for the home screen ( i assume thats the same as the today screen?)

I use the windows default one right now, because it gives me access to turn on the wifi from the come screen.

After this weekend when i figure out how to set shortcuts and such, ill probably upgrade my hom,e screen look.
Any suggestions/links?
redls1bird
On the upside, google maps can now discover my approximate location, when before it just came up location unavailable...
Cyclone
Yuck, I hate Windows Mobile phones. It's such a clunky shitty phone OS. No matter how many different UI's or mods you use, nothing changes the fact that it still sucks.

I've got an HTC Touch here. Horrible horrible horrible. It's so damn slow and the interface blows.
Razor
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Mar 12 2009, 10:57 AM) *
Yuck, I hate Windows Mobile phones. It's such a clunky shitty phone OS. No matter how many different UI's or mods you use, nothing changes the fact that it still sucks.

I've got an HTC Touch here. Horrible horrible horrible. It's so damn slow and the interface blows.

Begone from this thread, betrayer. At least you no longer have the toy known as the iPhone. tongue.gif

Still have the G1?
Cyclone
Yup. My G1 runs so much quicker than the latest HTC smartphone offerings I have here at the office to play with.

I've used so many different windows mobile smartphones and every single one has sucked imo. I'll never consider another one
redls1bird
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Mar 12 2009, 06:57 AM) *

When its all you know, and its the first OS based phone you've used, like myself, its not that bad at all.
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 12 2009, 11:42 AM) *
When its all you know, and its the first OS based phone you've used, like myself, its not that bad at all.

I've used everything available at least once in my time with Smartphones and WM still appeals to me the most for its versatility.
redls1bird
sweet, this post is from my phone. granted the font is so small on the screen i cant even read it but , you know, its till cool. i guess...
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 24 2009, 10:20 PM) *
sweet, this post is from my phone. granted the font is so small on the screen i cant even read it but , you know, its till cool. i guess...

My XV6700 died today. sad.gif

However... something good will come of this. DS_Naughty2.gif
redls1bird
What kind of plans do you have?
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 24 2009, 10:50 PM) *
What kind of plans do you have?

This weekend.
redls1bird
OOhh, snazzy looking. Is it touch screen as well?

Im slowly immersing myself in the ability to be so connected with a smart phone. I like how things are integrated with each other. For instance, you can set the phones ringer profile to automatic, which monitors your calender and when an appointment is current, it automatically switches to vibrate. Very nice. I like being able to see my email as well. Also, i found a new browser thats called SKYFIRE. it allows you to view regular webpages on you mobile device, and watch flash based videos (youtube, hulu, etc) and works pretty well.
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 24 2009, 11:06 PM) *
OOhh, snazzy looking. Is it touch screen as well?

It is. It's the HTC Touch Pro. Even with my upgrade, though, this is going to run me a pretty penny... or two... or three... or twenty-nine thousand six-hundred. sad.gif

QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 24 2009, 11:06 PM) *
Im slowly immersing myself in the ability to be so connected with a smart phone. I like how things are integrated with each other. For instance, you can set the phones ringer profile to automatic, which monitors your calender and when an appointment is current, it automatically switches to vibrate. Very nice. I like being able to see my email as well. Also, i found a new browser thats called SKYFIRE. it allows you to view regular webpages on you mobile device, and watch flash based videos (youtube, hulu, etc) and works pretty well.

Yeah, Skyfire is amazing. I've been using it since private beta. It's come a long way.
moe
It's all about Symbian tongue.gif
redls1bird
QUOTE(Razor @ Mar 24 2009, 07:53 PM) *

This weekend.

Weekends almost over....
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 28 2009, 10:27 PM) *
Weekends almost over....

Hard reset fixed my XV... I'm going to wait until it really goes, as tempting as it is to buy the Touch Pro.
redls1bird
Do you have backlight issues with SKYFIRE while watching anything online? If i watch any video that is longer than my backlight timeout spec, skyfire wont keep it lit. It will go out for a moment, and then come back on. Any ideas?
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 29 2009, 08:05 PM) *
Do you have backlight issues with SKYFIRE while watching anything online? If i watch any video that is longer than my backlight timeout spec, skyfire wont keep it lit. It will go out for a moment, and then come back on. Any ideas?

Hmmm... I don't use Skyfire for watching videos so no... but I bet you that someone will have discussed it here.
redls1bird
well, thist morning my 2gb microsd card for my phone shit the bed. I can recover or format it. It shows its capacity of 8mb, its write protected and has no files on it....

Im reading about a driver to install to get my phone to recognize an 8 gb card, but it has mixed results...
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Apr 2 2009, 10:44 AM) *
well, thist morning my 2gb microsd card for my phone shit the bed. I can recover or format it. It shows its capacity of 8mb, its write protected and has no files on it....

Im reading about a driver to install to get my phone to recognize an 8 gb card, but it has mixed results...

Be careful with the size recognition update. I've heard bad things about those too... considered it for my phone but didn't do it.
redls1bird
well, i was more worried about the wm6 update, but i got that taken care of. I found where about 15-20 i600 users had success with a driver for sdhc cards without a problem, so i downloaded and installed the driver. It recognized it, so i just bought a 8 gb sdhc card off ebay. Hopefully everything will be ok.
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Apr 2 2009, 01:43 PM) *
well, i was more worried about the wm6 update, but i got that taken care of. I found where about 15-20 i600 users had success with a driver for sdhc cards without a problem, so i downloaded and installed the driver. It recognized it, so i just bought a 8 gb sdhc card off ebay. Hopefully everything will be ok.

You win at Russian roulette... maybe it's time to start making bar bets. tongue.gif Seriously though, glad it worked for you. It's annoying how the old phones didn't allow larger capacity.
redls1bird
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 2 2009, 04:47 PM) *
It's annoying how the old phones didn't allow larger capacity.

True. more so now that programs seem to be getting bigger and bigger, just for basic stuff. If im not mistaken, on board storage for the i600 is like 60 mb's. Thats not going to take you very far.
Razor
It's official... this Friday. DS_Naughty2.gif
Razor
Hey red... guess where I'm posting from DS_Naughty2.gif ... pictures to come sometime soon... damn, I love this thing.
redls1bird
Sweet. Im in NYC right now, Just enjoyed the NYIAS. looking forward to seeing pictures of the new goods.
redls1bird
i guess no pictures?
Razor
Haha damn, I forgot about this... sorry, I'll get some ASAP.
moe
Congrats, those HTCs are great phones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.