Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY '09: Super Luxury
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year '09 competition, please see this thread.

Bentley Azure T
Base MSRP:
$356,990 (estimated)
Available Engines: 6.75 liter OHV twin-turbocharged 16-valve V8 with 500 HP and 737 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 10 City/20 Highway (based on European fuel economy cycle)
Curb Weight: 5699 lbs.

Bentley Continental Flying Spur Speed
Base MSRP:
$218,300
Available Engines: 6.0 liter DOHC twin-turbocharged 48-valve W12 with 600 HP and 553 ft.-lbs. of torque,
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 10 City/17 Highway
Curb Weight: 5379 lbs.

Maybach Landaulet
Base MSRP:
$1,380,000
Available Engines: 6.0 liter SOHC twin-turbocharged 36-valve V12 with 604 HP and 738 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
EPA Fuel Economy: 10 City/16 Highway
Curb Weight: 6340 lbs.

Rolls-Royce Phantom Coupé
Base MSRP:
$400,000
Available Engines: 6.75 liter DOHC 48-valve V12 with 453 HP and 531 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic transmission
EPA Fuel Economy: 11 City/18 Highway
Curb Weight: 5798 lbs.

Bjorn
Flying Spur Speed, but only because its the least gaudy of the bunch.
clarkma5
The Flying Spur Speed is definitely the car here that's best at working as a real car, but I had to go for the Rolls...it looks like something a Bond villain would drive, it is 110% class. Five words: suicide doors on a coupe.

Oh and when I was doing my research for this category, I literally LOL'd when I saw the Maybach's MSRP (as well as the Maybach itself).
Bjorn
^ya, it's entirely possible (and probable) that I don't understand the mindset of the super rich, but the Maybach is absurd in every which way.
4wheelfreak
I'd never want to have to drive one of these behemoths every day anyway, so I'd choose the one I'd most like to be driven around in...
the Maybach in all its absurd luxury
darinzon
eww. no vote
Mitlov
Rolls coupe because it's just so badass. Most impressive image here, and best looking, and in this market, that's what matters.
Benny
id be wearing all white in my all white maybach (like a fast overpriced insane asylum)
clarkma5
QUOTE(Benny @ Feb 22 2009, 10:01 PM) *
(like a fast overpriced insane asylum)

Best analogy ever.
Mitlov
The Landaulet looks cheap and possibly Chinese if you ask me. I showed it to my wife and her gut reaction was that it was priced against Town Cars.
OHirtenfelder
The Azure T gets my vote. It's the only true convertible here, and its so sexy. If youre gonna be a pimp, might as well do it with a drop top. Plus it seemslike the most 'honest' car here. The others are just to 'look at what I got...', although the Rolls Coupe is real hot aswell.
moe
It was a tough call for me between the unbelievably sexy Azure, and the Rolls, which is just drivable art. In the end, I went with the Bentley just because of the imagery I get thinking of it. I think of a beautiful woman in my self cruising down the French Riviera. Nice.
b0mb3r
lol i think its so funny that all of these cars are german... smile.gif
nismo
Super Luxury = Landaulet hands down.
Easton
Rolls
infinity
Gotta love how the coupe is winning the Super Luxury race. Nothing says Super Luxury like 2 doors and, IMO, the least luxurious looking interior.
Razor
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Feb 23 2009, 01:41 AM) *
The Landaulet looks cheap and possibly Chinese if you ask me.

I thought the same. I don't like convertibles too much, so I skipped the Azure T as well, even if the gauge trim is the same as the dashboard trim in my car. tongue.gif

Between the Rolls Royce and the Flying Spur, I was about to vote for the Rolls, I then I remembered that the full, four door version of that car is something I'd definitely rather sit in the back of than drive. There's no point in choosing the coupe, then. Bentley Continental Flying Spur for the win.
infinity
Thank you! Why are convertibles and coupes in the Super Luxury category!?
clarkma5
QUOTE(infinity935 @ Feb 23 2009, 02:56 PM) *
Thank you! Why are convertibles and coupes in the Super Luxury category!?

Because they cost a fortune and are from major luxury car manufacturers? Since when were luxury cars only 4-door sedans?

Ironically I'd say that the only true 4-door sedan here (the Flying Spur) is actually the least luxurious.
infinity
Yeah I know...I just think it's kind of ironic or something.
fiber optic
Rolls Royce. It is the definition of sinister.
moe
QUOTE(infinity935 @ Feb 23 2009, 09:25 PM) *
Gotta love how the coupe is winning the Super Luxury race. Nothing says Super Luxury like 2 doors and, IMO, the least luxurious looking interior.

Super luxury isn't exclusive to four-door sedans or limos. Also, if you ever get a chance to sit in the Rolls, do so. I doubt you'd say that about the interior then.

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 24 2009, 03:04 AM) *
Ironically I'd say that the only true 4-door sedan here (the Flying Spur) is actually the least luxurious.

I see more Flying Spurs than just about any other full-size luxury sedan (S-class and 7-series excepted). I don't even really consider it super luxury anymore. It's just a regular luxury sedan with a more prestigious badge.
Frederf
The Azure T is the car I would want to be driving around the coast of Greece in on holiday (of cars listed) no questions asked. It's the only car that seems fun and yet dignified. The Maybach is simply a yacht for land; I get it but I don't want one.
infinity
So, are we voting for the car we like most, or the car we think is the best for the segment listed?
clarkma5
QUOTE(infinity935 @ Feb 27 2009, 11:23 AM) *
So, are we voting for the car we like most, or the car we think is the best for the segment listed?

That's really pretty up to you...I'd like to think that what you think is the best and what you like the most are the same car but I guess not. Just look at all the cars available and pick the one that speaks to you most, that's how I vote.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.