Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY '09: Boy Racers
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year '09 competition, please see this thread.

Chevrolet Cobalt SS Sedan
Base MSRP:
$23,425
Available Engines: 2.0 liter DOHC turbocharged 16-valve inline-4 with 260 HP and 260 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual transmission with “no-lift shift” feature
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive (limited slip differential optional)
EPA Fuel Economy: 22 City/30 Highway
Curb Weight: 3001 lbs.

Dodge Challenger (excluding SRT-8 automatic)
Base MSRP:
$21,820 (SE), $29,820 (R/T), $40,515 (SRT-8 6MT)
Available Engines: 3.5 liter SOHC 24-valve V6 with 250 HP and 250 ft.-lbs. of torque, 5.7 liter OHV 16-valve V8 (with cylinder deactivation on 5AT R/T) and 372 HP and 401 ft.-lbs. of torque, 6.1 liter OHV 16-valve V8 with 425 HP and 420 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 4-speed automatic (V6 only), 5-speed automatic with manual shift capabilities (R/T only), 6-speed manual transmission (N/A on V6)
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive (limited slip differential on 6MT models)
EPA Fuel Economy: 17 City/25 Highway (V6), 16/25 (R/T), 14/22 (SRT-8 6MT)
Curb Weight: 3819-4041 lbs.

Mini John Cooper Works Clubman/Hardtop
Base MSRP:
$28,550 (Hardtop), $30,800 (Clubman)
Available Engines: 1.6 liter DOHC turbocharged 16-valve inline-4 with 208 HP and 192 ft.-lbs. of torque (up to 207 with overboost feature)
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual transmission
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive with Electronic Differential Lock Control
EPA Fuel Economy: 26 City/34 Highway
Curb Weight: 2701-2888 lbs.

Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Base MSRP:
$26,490
Available Engines: 2.0 liter DOHC turbocharged inline-4 with 237 HP and 253 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed dual-clutch semi-manual transmission
Available Drivetrains: All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 17 City/25 Highway
Curb Weight: 3462 lbs.

Subaru Impreza WRX
Base MSRP:
$24,995 (Sedan), $25,495 (5-door)
Available Engines: 2.5 liter DOHC turbocharged 16-valve horizontally-opposed flat-4 with 265 HP and 244 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual
Available Drivetrains: All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/25 Highway
Curb Weight: 3174-3175 lbs.

Mitlov
Challenger RT 6MT, all the way. I find the WRX generally unappealing, though I like it better than the 2008. The Ralliart lacks a third pedal. And the Cobalt...as nice of a driver's car as it is, it's still a Cobalt.

But the Challenger RT looks badass, sounds badass, has a badass engine, and generally is appealing as all hell on the subjective level.

My runner up is the JCW Clubman. It might have won if it wasn't so overstyled inside and if it didn't have such an asinine door setup.
Razor
I would go for the Ralliart in two seconds if it had better brakes and tires... but it doesn't. So I have to go with the rival: WRX for the win. That thing is awesome, inside, outside, and under the hood.
4wheelfreak
It's a really close race between the Cobalt and the WRX for me, which is saying a lot since I generally don't give much credit to FWD. The horrible ergonomics on the Chevy are what do it in- and the WRX is just so freaking fast. My vote goes to AWD (though I don't really like the external styling, and no body kit is going to save that ugly face).
Bjorn
Contrary to popular opinion, I quite like the look of the new WRX wagon...pictures don't do it justice IMO.

I can't get over how boring the Cobalt SS looks...especially compared to the SS Supercharged from a few years back. I understand that they dynamics are better, and that the engine is better but it looks so bland.

I never was really a fan of the muscle car, so the Challenger has little appeal for me.

The mini is full of win, until you get to the interior, where I think the designers have gone too far. Simplicity would be welcome here.

The Ralliart is kinda cool, but again, looks kind of bland (I'm not a fan of the new Lancer in non EVO form) and is 300lbs heavier than the WRX and 30bhp down. Also, no manual transmission, no thanks. (I expect I would tire of TC-SST after a period of time, and yearn for a proper manual.
clarkma5
The Challenger is just lovely, and the R/T 6-speed was tempting, but it's just such a massive car with such a lame interior that I don't think I could cope...

After that it came down to the WRX and the Cobalt. The WRX is probably the better all-round package, but the Cobalt SS is undoubtedly the dynamic king in this group and as an added bonus is the cheapest, so I went for that.
moe
I went with the Mini. I think hot hatches, or boy racers, have to have a certain flavor...a little bit of spice. And I think that persona is missing from just about every other car here.

The Cobalt is supposed to be brilliant, but it's just so bland. Where's the character?

The Challenger is just in the wrong segment. It's a big, cushy coupe...not a boy racer.

The Lancer looks every inch the mini-Evo, but bad tires and brakes let the side down. Never mind that I believe the availability of a manual is absolutely crucial for this part of the market, and that's something it just doesn't have.

The WRX is a classic in its own right. Much like the GTi, I suspect it'll always be around serving up its own style of boy racer fun. Even the once ugly styling has grown on me. However, I've heard way too much about the wooden steering and notchy gearbox, which is really the kiss of death in this segment. I think a lot of the fun in this segment is down to tactility. The AWD is also a bit unnecessary to me.
OHirtenfelder
Mini all the way.
No car has ever changed my mind about it as much as the Mini, when I drove it. I used to always say the mini is a gay/girlie car, that's just pretty to look at. And I always figured that, fine, it has a decent chassis and engine, but that's all just secondary to the 'fashion statement' that the mini is. And I always said I think the Mini's interior is quite disgusting and childish.

Then, one day, a Mini Cooper S Clubman arrived at our offices, and I can't remember the last time I had as much fun. The Mini is just huge fun, and it punches way above its class(especially in JCW guise). It is really one of the most brilliant drivers cars.
The interior is still disgusting. But it gets my vote, 'cause it really is just such an absolute blast to drive.
fiber optic
WRX is my boy racer car of choice for 2009.
b0mb3r
cobalt is a little bland but at the same time they are hella fast! The WRX is not bad but its rather crude in its controls. The lancer is just too heavy and it shows up in all of the dynamics and I have never been a fan of the Mini. To me boy racer is inexpensive and fast; kind of like VW GTI. tongue.gif
OHirtenfelder
These aren't tru boy racers though. These are like 'young-man racers'. The true boy racers are thr Ford Fiesta STs, VW Polo GTIs, etc. Im guessing you guys don't get those in the states, do you?
clarkma5
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Feb 22 2009, 10:36 PM) *
These aren't tru boy racers though. These are like 'young-man racers'. The true boy racers are thr Ford Fiesta STs, VW Polo GTIs, etc. Im guessing you guys don't get those in the states, do you?

Nope we don't get anything that small here, everything's a class bigger.
Benny
i wouldn't buy any of these, but if i had to make the choice based on my location, and practical uses id probably get the Lancer ralliart.
dukenukem
If i had to buy one of these then it would be the WRX .. party because i am manlier than Benny. tongue.gif
Benny
cant argue with facts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.