Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSTOTY '09: Family SUVs
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year '09 competition, please see this thread.

Chevrolet Traverse
Base MSRP:
$29,255
Available Engines: 3.6 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 281 HP and 266 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive or All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 17 City/24 Highway (FWD), 16/23 (AWD)
Curb Weight: 4790-5066 lbs.

Ford Flex
Base MSRP:
$28,550
Available Engines: 3.5 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 262 HP and 248 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic transmission
EPA Fuel Economy: 17 City/24 Highway (FWD), 16/22 (AWD)
Curb Weight: 4468-4640 lbs.

Honda Pilot
Base MSRP:
$27,695
Available Engines: 3.5 liter SOHC 24-valve V6 with Variable Cylinder Management and 250 HP and 253 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed automatic transmission
EPA Fuel Economy: 17 City/23 Highway (FWD), 16/22 (AWD)
Curb Weight: 4310-4608 lbs.

Kia Borrego
Base MSRP:
$26,245 (V6), $30,995 (V8)
Available Engines: 3.8 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 276 HP and 267 ft.-lbs. of torque, 4.6 liter DOHC 32-valve V8 with 337 HP and 323 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed automatic with manual shift capabilities (V6 only) or 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities (V8 only)
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive or Full-time 4-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 17 City/21 Highway (RWD V6), 16/21 (4WD V6), 15/22 (RWD V8), 15/20 (4WD V8)
Curb Weight: 4248-4621 lbs.

Nissan Murano
Base MSRP:
$27,680
Available Engines: 3.5 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 265 HP and 248 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: CVT with manual shift capabilities
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/23 Highway
Curb Weight: 3855-4141 lbs.

fiber optic
Ford Flex but the Chevrolet was a very close second.

If/when we retire the Volvo I think we'd probably end up in one or the other.
Razor
The Flex is awesomely designed, has a great interior, and the AWD version seems pretty cool from a driving standpoint. I couldn't go with anything else, but if I had to, it'd be the Pilot. GJ Ford.
Mitlov
Flex. Nice ride, cool style, and tons of useable space. What more could you want from a family hauler?
Bjorn
Although the interior is a bit too "art deco" for me, I really like the way the Flex looks...and I find the styling really refreshing in an otherwise bland category.

On a side note, the new Murano is a huge step backward from the original, it's bland and derivative where the original was pretty fresh and interesting when it first appeared.
clarkma5
I too went for the Flex's combination of great style, versatility, and competitive driving dynamics. At MSRP these cars are a little on the pricy side for what you get, but for the actual prices that these things are coming off lots at, they're a deal.

For secondary choices, I like both the Kia and the Nissan, for very different reasons. The Kia is the last of a dying breed of SUVs that offer true truck-capability instead of station wagons/minivans in disguise, and I really respect that. The Nissan feels like the sports car of the bunch, and I actually like the way it looks, it is very striking.
moe
I had to go with the Murano. I wasn't a big fan of the new styling, but having seen it in person now, it's actually quite striking. Besides, it offers the most car-like driving experience, and is big enough for most families without being excessive.

That said, my favorite car here is definitely the Flex. I love that it tries to fuse the big wagon concept with CUVs, rather than make it look like a traditional SUV. However, having seen a few puttering around town, I just can't come to terms with its size. I guess it's a good choice for those that would've bought an Expedition or Yukon, but otherwise it's just a lot bigger than it needs to be.

I also like the Borrego, it's a solid effort from Kia again. Good-looking, well-built, refined, etc. However, the actual off-road ability is probably going to be lost on most families.
Benny
the flex is the only one that stands out, and come 2010 it will be ecoboost equipped DS_Evil.gif
Frederf
I swear there's some odd mental link but it was the Murano ever so slightly over the Flex with props to the Kia.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.