Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY '09: Compact Luxury
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
Yes I know this is a weird category, just roll with it tongue.gif

For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year '09 competition, please see this thread.

Acura TSX
Base MSRP:
$29,160
Available Engines: 2.4 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 201 HP and 172 ft.-lbs. of torque (170 with 5AT)
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual or 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 21 City/30 Highway (5AT), 20/28 (6MT)
Curb Weight: 3400-3486 lbs.

Audi A3
Base MSRP:
$26,920 (2.0T), $30,500 (2.0T Quattro), $36,975 (3.2 Quattro)
Available Engines: 2.0 liter DOHC turbocharged 16-valve inline-4 with 200 HP and 207 ft.-lbs. of torque, 3.2 liter DOHC 24-valve VR6 with 250 HP and 236 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual (2.0T FWD only) or 6-speed dual-clutch semi-manual transmission
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive (2.0T only) or All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 21 City/30 Highway (6MT), 22/28 (2.0T FWD S-Tronic), 21/28 (2.0T Quattro), 18/25 (3.2)
Curb Weight: 3219-3781 lbs.

Honda FCX Clarity
Base MSRP:
Limited 3-year $600/month lease (available in Los Angeles area only)
Available Engines: Hydrogen fuel cell system with AC Synchronous Permanent-Magnet Electric Motor with 134 HP and 189 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: None (Direct-drive)
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 77 City/67 Highway (EPA equivalent values)
Curb Weight: 3582 lbs.

Subaru Impreza 2.5GT
Base MSRP:
$26,995 (Sedan), $27,495 (5-door)
Available Engines: 2.5 liter DOHC turbocharged 16-valve horizontally-opposed flat-4 with 224 HP and 226 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 4-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 19 City/24 Highway
Curb Weight: 3240 lbs.

Volkswagen CC
Base MSRP:
$26,790 (2.0T), $38,700 (3.6)
Available Engines: 2.0 liter DOHC turbocharged 16-valve inline-4 with 200 HP and 207 ft.-lbs. of torque, 3.6 liter DOHC 24-valve VR6 with 280 HP and 265 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual (2.0T only) or 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive or All-wheel drive (3.6 only)
EPA Fuel Economy: 21 City/31 Highway (6MT), 19/29 (2.0T 6AT), 18/27 (FWD 3.6), 17/25 (4Motion VR6)
Curb Weight: 3300-3854 lbs.

nismo
Volkswagen CC for the win!
clarkma5
The CC is tempting but I can't help but feel like its slinky looks promise more than its more plebian underpinnings can deliver. Also, while the base model is a decent value, the higher-end models are laughably overpriced.

I went for the FCX Clarity for its revolutionary-ness. Plus it actually looks like a pretty decent car based on its own merits.
Bjorn
Ah, didn't really know what to make of things here...went with the A3 just because I fancy them when I see one driving along the road. Would have been the Impreza had there been a manual option...since Subaru Automatics hail from the 1880's.
OHirtenfelder
Looking at the list I was going to pick A3 stright up. I'm a huge fan of everything Audi, especially the A3 (just not the Sportback). But as soon as I saw the image of the CC, it swayed me. IMO, it's so far ahead looks wise, it has to take it. Plus having spent quite a bit of time in the previous Passat, I know that it's a great car. CC gets my vote!
Marien
The FCX gets my vote, simply because Honda has the balls to put a 'real' hydrogen fuel cell vehicle on the consumer market.
b0mb3r
I was torn between CC and clarity... but I have seen the new CC at the dealer; it is simply an awesome car. I am waiting for someone to wreck their so I can buy those seats.
Razor
Acura TSX: Yuck. Ugly, front wheel drive, underpowered. No thanks.

Audi A3: The highest end model is my car with worse handling, a slightly nicer interior, and a higher price tag.

Honda FCX: Revolutionary? Hell yes. Boring to drive and the equivalent appeal of a dishwasher or dryer? Hell yes. Too appliance-like for me.

Subaru Impreza 2.5GT: Luxury? I think hardly, judging by that interior shot. Good engine, but horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE transmission.

Volkswagen CC: The appeal is there, for sure. It's beautiful. The 3.6L VR6 with 4Motion sounds good to me. However, it seems a touch boring, and probably is to drive.

I'm going with the CC, for a hairline win over the A3. I don't love anything here, though.
Mitlov
I went Volkswagen CC. The base model is a great family-size driver's car at a good price point ($26,000) and even has an available manual. It gets rapidly more expensive, and rapidly less competitive with other options, from there, but I would love a base CC.

The second-gen TSX is, for me, a symbol of Honda becoming the next Toyota. So much blander and duller than the first generation with no performance enhancements. I'd never vote for it.

The A3 seems nice until I ask "is it worth the extra money over a five-door GTI?" The interior tweaks just don't justify it for me. I feel like I'm paying a lot more for the badge, and I don't like that.

The Clarity is a good option, but I wasn't willing to vote for a car that's ONLY available by lease to ONLY a very small number of people and ONLY in California. I see it more as a publicly-driven prototype than a proper production car.

Impreza and luxury don't work in the same sentence for me.
dukenukem
I really cant vote for any car in this group. The impreza is far from luxury even i will admit that. The Clarity is revolutionary and great idea that might save the automobile but again .. luxury? Dont think so.
4wheelfreak
A3 Quattro- I, for one, think it looks better than the emasculated CC.
moe
Initially I voted for the Clarity, but I don't think it fits the bill quite right. Sure, the technology is a huge step forwards, but it's just too limited in too many ways.

So can someone change my vote to the Passat CC? I think it's a beautiful car inside and out. Built well, refined, comfortable, and infinitely stylish. I think in base form, it fits the entry-level luxury bill quite nicely.
clarkma5
Sure thing, moe.
Mitlov
Since the "Impreza 2.5GT" is actually identical to a 2008 WRX auto-tranny AFAIK, should it really be in this race at all? Just a new name, not a new car.
clarkma5
Eh it was one of those cars that I could've left in or taken out. I decided to leave it in. There are some trim differences compared to the 2008 WRX, and I can't help but think that a name change and a segment shift, in the case of this particular car, is actually pretty significant.
maxima302
The only cars on here that are "compact luxury" are the TSX and A3. The Passat CC is "luxury", but its not compact...
clarkma5
It's at a similar price point and borrows its mechanicals from a compact platform...I can only refine the categories so much until I end up with every car by itself.
Benny
CC
Frederf
The Clarity, as much as the A3 is one of those stop-you-in-your-tracks pieces of perfection, I feel the A3 is a bit like the iPod: too good and thus trendy.

I would be proud to drive a Clarity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.