Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY '09: Entry-level Sports Sedans
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
Starting with this thread, I'm increasing the quality of the DSCOTY pictures from the old 640px wide standard to 800px, while also decreasing compression. Enjoy!

For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year '09 competition, please see this thread.

Acura TL
Base MSRP:
$34,955 (3.5), $38,505 (3.7)
Available Engines: 3.5 liter SOHC 24-valve V6 with 280 HP and 254 ft.-lbs. of torque, 3.7 liter SOHC 24-valve V6 with 305 HP and 273 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive (3.5 only) or All-wheel drive (3.7 only)
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/26 Highway (3.5), 17/25 (3.7)
Curb Weight: 3699-3948 lbs.

Audi A4 Sedan/Avant
Base MSRP:
$31,000 (2.0T Sedan), $34,850 (Avant), $40,400 (3.2 Sedan)
Available Engines: 2.0 liter DOHC turbocharged 16-valve inline-4 with 211 HP and 258 ft.-lbs. of torque, 3.2 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 265 HP and 243 ft.-lbs. of torque (N/A on Avant)
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual (2.0T Quattro Sedan only), 6-speed automatic with manual shift capabilities (Quattro only), or CVT (FWD only)
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive (2.0T only, N/A on Avant) or All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 23 City/30 Highway (CVT), 22/30 (6MT), 21/27 (2.0T 6AT), 17/26 (3.2)
Curb Weight: 3527-3827 lbs.

BMW 3-series Sedan/Wagon
Base MSRP:
$33,600 (328i Sedan), $35,400 (Wagon), $40,300 (335i), $43,900 (335d)
Available Engines: 3.0 liter DOHC 24-valve inline-6 with 230 HP and 200 ft.-lbs. of torque, 3.0 liter DOHC twin-turbocharged inline-6 with 300 HP and 300 ft.-lbs. of torque (N/A on Wagon), 3.0 liter DOHC twin-turbocharged diesel inline-6 with 265 HP and 425 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual (N/A on diesel) or 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive or All-wheel drive (N/A on diesel)
EPA Fuel Economy: 23 City/36 Highway (335d), 19/28 (328i Sedan 6AT), 18/28 (328i Sedan 6MT), 18/27 (328i Wagon 6AT), 17/27 (328i Wagon 6MT), 17/26 (335i), 17/25 (328xi & 335xi 6AT), 16/25 (335xi 6MT)
Curb Weight: 3340-3825 lbs.

Infiniti G37 Sedan
Base MSRP:
$33,250
Available Engines: 3.7 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 328 HP and 269 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual (Sport model only) or 7-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive or All-wheel drive (N/A with 6MT)
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/26 Highway (RWD 7AT), 18/25 (AWD), 17/25 (6MT)
Curb Weight: 3581-3791 lbs.

Pontiac G8 GXP
Base MSRP:
$37,610
Available Engines: 6.2 liter OHV 16-valve V8 with 415 HP and 415 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual (optional extra) or 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive with limited slip differential
EPA Fuel Economy: 13 City/20 Highway
Curb Weight: 4025-4050 lbs.

Mitlov
How could I NOT vote for the G8 GXP 6MT? It's just two tons of badass. I'm not sure it's the one I'd buy...I'd likely end up with a 335i or a G37...but despite that, I just can't see anything but the G8 GXP winning "entry-level sport sedan of the year."
Razor
Eh... this is such a hard one for me, mostly because I don't really like any of them.

Acura TL: Ideally what I'd normally vote for, because I'm a sucker for AWD and an overload of cabin technology. However, the uninspired transmission and the less-than-pretty front end have me discouraged.

Audi A4: I've had plenty of experience being around and driving B7 A4s, and this bigger B8 base has taken what I liked about the A4 out of the equation, no matter how much horsepower they added. I liked it as a smaller sedan; this one is just too big. It is good-looking though.

BMW 3-Series: Hah. No. Absolutely not.

Infiniti G37 Sedan: It's good. There's no denying that. I still can't stand the guido clock on the center of the dash and I'm really not a fan of the new rear end. I do like the powertrain choices, though, save the fact that you can't get a manual with the AWD.

Pontiac G8 GXP: I drove a GT this summer. It was raw and loud, and I guess that same set of adjectives can be used to describe the outside of the car, too. From these pictures it looks as if they've improved the interior quality at least somewhat, and this new powertrain is absolutely insane. I'm still not sold 100% on the styling, but I think this thing isn't too bad overall.

Well, shit. I can't make up my mind. I'm going to have to sleep on this one.

Morning Edit: It's between the Acura and the G8... and I'm going with the G8. Had the Acura been less ugly, I would have picked it in a heartbeat, though.
Bjorn
I went with the Audi.

Acura is too ugly to live, BMW is old (by comparison), I don't like the Infinity and the G8 is a bit too expensive in GXP form for me to consider it along with the other cars on offer.

I like the G8, and stare every time one goes by, but when I could have an A4 for six and a half grand less, it's hard for me to justify the added expense from a practically minded standpoint.
4wheelfreak
For me it's a toss up between the 3-series (with its excellent TT I-6) and the G8 (with its behemoth V8). The engine is a huge part of the driving experience, and that's what really rules out the G37 for its harsh top-end. Between the Bimmer and the Pontiac, I'd rather drive the car the I-6 is stuck in, but my vote goes to the G8. It really sticks out from the rest of the group's 'economizing turbo' attitude with its massive displacement power. And a lot of reviews have said it offers surprisingly close driving dynamics to that of a 5-series. I just hope it can make it through to the next model cycle without getting canned. Way to go Pontiac!
clarkma5
For me it came down to the A4 and the GXP. I love how Audi's got the A4's driving dynamics up to snuff finally, and it looks fantastic, and the new EA888 2.0T motor is really impressive. The V6 is simply not competitive though, which means Audi's only got their A4 half figured out...great base model, but their higher end model isn't there. It also doesn't feel like a really great value.

The G8's bigger and heavier, and its interior is certainly the weakest in this group, but for the price of a moderately optioned 3-series you can have a 415 HP V8 monster that looks great, sounds great, and goes great. Not perfect but it's the biggest breath of fresh air in this segment for ages.
darinzon
pontiac. i can definitely enjoy the simplicity of the car, especially in an automotive world where busy and complex is trendy. v8's gotta be tight
moe
It's between the 3-series and the G37 here for me. The 3-series is timeless. Like the 911 you know BMW will never get the basics wrong. The dynamics are best in class, the interior is up there, and the proportions are bang on. The styling isn't particularly special, but this facelift has helped that IMO.

The G37, in comparison, isn't quite as polished. The instruments are tacky; the build quality is much-improved over past Infinitis, but not quite up there with BMW/Mercedes/Lexus/Audi; and the clock looks like it's trying too hard to be classy. However, it has a fabulous engine, a great chassis, and makes the 3-series look completely over-priced. Although some say the styling is bulbous, I really like it. Spec it in the right color (blue slate) and it looks downright gorgeous.

What it comes down for me, is while the BMW ticks all the right boxes (well, maybe except style), it just feels too clinical. So it's the G for me.
350Z
The pontiac interest me the most, it's just a shame it doesn't look as good as the VXR8.
b0mb3r
this is really a tough one... Audi A4 is absolutely stunning, 335 is a monster... but I think I am going to vote for the G8 GXP. You just can't go wrong with it smile.gif
DB9
I voted Audi mainly just because the GXP costs like 6k more. I think this is a tough segment though, there are a lot of high quality cars here. And I'm probably the only one that doesn't mind the new TL's looks.
Mitlov
QUOTE(DB9 @ Feb 21 2009, 08:41 AM) *
I voted Audi mainly just because the GXP costs like 6k more. I think this is a tough segment though, there are a lot of high quality cars here.

But it costs $6,000 more than a car with a 211 horsepower four-cylinder turbo, and it's got a 415-horsepower V8.

And I'm probably the only one that doesn't mind the new TL's looks.

Probably so.

QUOTE(moe @ Feb 20 2009, 11:44 PM) *
It's between the 3-series and the G37 here for me. The 3-series is timeless. Like the 911 you know BMW will never get the basics wrong.

Sometime I'll have to ramble about how I think that the GTI, 3-Series, and 911 are the three timeless benchmarks of driving pleasure coming out of Germany. They're certainly not the only great cars coming out of the country, of course, but they're just three cars (at three different price points) where you just can't go wrong if you like driving.
moe
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Feb 21 2009, 10:38 PM) *
Sometime I'll have to ramble about how I think that the GTI, 3-Series, and 911 are the three timeless benchmarks of driving pleasure coming out of Germany. They're certainly not the only great cars coming out of the country, of course, but they're just three cars (at three different price points) where you just can't go wrong if you like driving.

The GTi went on a sabbatical for a bit. I really think the MkIII and IV lost the plot, as do all the Euro mags, but Clarkma and Bomber are going to disagree with me on that (probably Ozi and Ohirtenfelder as well).
dukenukem
The GXP wins by 2 cylinders and no pretentiousness.
clarkma5
QUOTE(DB9 @ Feb 21 2009, 08:41 AM) *
And I'm probably the only one that doesn't mind the new TL's looks.

No, honestly the TSX and the TL have both really grown on me. I won't say they look magnificent but depending on the angle, they vary from inoffensive to good. And I've liked the MDX since it debuted. That just leaves the lumpy RDX and the goofy looking facelifted RL that I'm kinda down on.
Uwe
Easy decision for me: the Beemer.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 21 2009, 01:40 PM) *
No, honestly the TSX and the TL have both really grown on me. I won't say they look magnificent but depending on the angle, they vary from inoffensive to good. And I've liked the MDX since it debuted. That just leaves the lumpy RDX and the goofy looking facelifted RL that I'm kinda down on.

My father drove the new TSX and said that it was way too heavy for that engine... it made noise but did not move like the old model.
DB9
It's funny, I think the TSX actually looks worse then the TL. The TL has presence whereas the TSX just looks bland to me.
Benny
335d sedan wub.gif
infinity
This thread proves the TL = epic fail
moe
I didn't think I would ever end up saying this, but the TL's styling has finally grown on me. It still isn't pretty, but aggressive? Yes. Distinctive? Yes. And distinctive is something Acura really needs right now. They've been struggling with brand identity for years, being little more than tarted-up Hondas, and looking the part too. The 2nd-gen MDX was probably the first Acura that looked like an Acura, the previous-gen TL was the second...this is very much an evolution of Acura's styling theme.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.