Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY '09: Subcompacts
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year '09 competition, please see this thread.

Chevrolet Aveo5/Pontiac G3
Base MSRP:
$11,965 (Aveo5), $14,335 (G3)
Available Engines: 1.6 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 106 HP and 105 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission (N/A on Aveo5 LS)
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 27 City/34 Highway (5MT), 25/34 (4AT)
Curb Weight: 2546 lbs.

Honda Fit
Base MSRP:
$14,750
Available Engines: 1.5 liter SOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 117 HP and 106 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic transmission (with paddle shifters on Fit Sport model)
EPA Fuel Economy: 28 City/35 Highway (5AT non-Sport), 28/35 (5MT & 5AT Sport)
Curb Weight: 2489-2615 lbs.

Nissan Cube
Base MSRP:
$13,990
Available Engines: 1.8 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 122 HP and 127 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual or CVT
EPA Fuel Economy: 27 City/33 Highway (CVT), 26/31 (5MT) (Fuel economy based on Versa 1.8 model, actual data not available)
Curb Weight: 2600 lbs. (estimated)

Nissan Versa Sedan
Base MSRP:
$9,990
Available Engines: 1.6 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 107 HP and 111 ft.-lbs. of torque, 1.8 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 122 HP and 127 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual (1.6 only), 6-speed manual (1.8S only), or 4-speed automatic (N/A on 1.6 Base)
EPA Fuel Economy: 26 City/34 Highway (1.6 5MT), 26/33 (1.6 4AT), 26/31 (1.8 6MT), 24/32 (1.8 4AT)
Curb Weight: 2516-2734 lbs.

Toyota Yaris 5-door
Base MSRP:
$13,305
Available Engines: 1.5 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 106 HP and 103 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 4-speed automatic transmission
EPA Fuel Economy: 29 City/35 Highway
Curb Weight: 2340 lbs.

moe
YES DSCOTY!

Honda Fit for me. The Cube's design integrity seems to have litterally melted away, and the Versa, while great value-for-money is just boring to drive (not to mention ugly in sedan form). The Aveo is one of the few cars on sale that I'd say is honestly a bad car. I like the Yaris a lot, but the new Fit just looks great inside and out, and is hugely entertaining to drive.
Razor
And I've been having this debate with myself for a long, long time. First I was with the Honda Fit, and then when I saw all the parts TRD made for the Yaris, it looked enticing, but now I'm back once again to the Fit. The interior comparison is the epic make-or-break. Fit it is.
hybr1d
Fit, of course. No matter that i own toyota (scion).
Benny
it was the fit for me. its the only one i could truly see myself in.
Bjorn
Aveo: the last one was horribly built, the horror stories from my friend who leased two (one for him and his wife) were enough for me to never even consider a re badged Daewoo as anything more than a possible rental, and even then I would be annoyed.

Cube: too weird for me.

Versa: the five door is the only one I would consider, and It doesn't feel as good as the Fit or the Yaris (test drove all three recently).

Yaris: Frankly it's too old, it's been on sale in Canada as a 3 door and a 5 door since '05 as and '06, and was on sale in Japan and Europe well before that. It's due to be replaced soon, but until then it can't compete with the new, beautiful, lovely Fit.

Fit: Its' the one I would have...it looks good, drives good, and is just good IMO. Also I trust Honda reliability...and we have a great Honda dealer here in the city (something that is really important for me).
Mr b00st
i'll go for the Nissan Cube, just barely over the fit.

Is the Kia Soul too big for this class?
Razor
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Feb 20 2009, 11:30 AM) *
i'll go for the Nissan Cube, just barely over the fit.

Way to break the cycle, douche. tongue.gif
Mr b00st
QUOTE(Razor @ Feb 20 2009, 11:34 AM) *
Way to break the cycle, douche. tongue.gif

hey, I'm just douchin' it up, all votin' for my favorite econobox & shit
OHirtenfelder
Nissan Cube for me. In a class of cars that are for the most part incredibly boring, the Nissan Cube just gives the finger to the 'standard look' of subcompacts. On paper, also the most powerful, which is an area that these types of cars are also usually very uninspiring.
dukenukem
Fit for me. Its nice, small, very ergonomic and with a manual quite entertaining little bugger. Plus its a honda.
darinzon
fit. is toyota serious with that interior?
Mitlov
Fit, by a mile. Very nice interior (dash is more attractive than the Civic, by far), versatile back seat and cargo area, and from what I've read, the best to drive.

And +1 for "is toyota serious with that interior?"
fiber optic
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Feb 20 2009, 12:00 PM) *
And +1 for "is toyota serious with that interior?"

It even makes the Versa interior look posh.
Mitlov
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Feb 20 2009, 10:16 AM) *
It even makes the Versa interior look posh.

...and it makes a fuckin' Aveo look like a luxury car. Seriously, Toyota, seriously?
Razor
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Feb 20 2009, 01:33 PM) *
...and it makes a fuckin' Aveo look like a luxury car. Seriously, Toyota, seriously?

I think it's safe to say that the Yaris has the most boring interior in the history of cars.
infinity
Oooh this is gonna be a close one! rolleyes.gif
clarkma5
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Feb 20 2009, 08:30 AM) *

The Soul would've been in this class, but it's a 2010 model not a 2009.

I guess I'll go for the Fit but I'm not in love with any of these. I'll agree that the Fit's interior looks the most high quality, but Honda's interior designs are going off the deep end these days with all the protrusions and curves and wonkiness...

If the Soul were in this group I would vote for it in a heartbeat.
moe
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 21 2009, 01:59 AM) *
If the Soul were in this group I would vote for it in a heartbeat.

I second that.
Mitlov
I'd definitely go for the Fit over the Soul. The Soul's got cool exterior looks, ten ways to sunday better than the Fit. But the Fit should handle better (lower center of gravity) and get far better fuel economy. And Edmunds IIRC said that the Soul's interior design was good but that the materials were very cheap.
clarkma5
Center of gravity only goes so far in handling...in fact, when you look within a certain segment of cars, COG is probably one of the least important factors on handling quality. The Fit's got a torsion beam rear suspension, which is the least sophisticated suspension setup after a full-on live axle, while I believe the Soul's got a true 4-wheel strut setup, which can go a long way toward making the Soul a better handler. Of course, a well-tuned torsion beam setup can be totally competitive with a macpherson or double wishbone design, but it's harder to do.
b0mb3r
fit by a mile... it has the most sporting character!
4wheelfreak
My vote goes to the Fit- it would be genuinely fun to 'zip' around in.
But seriously, how did Toyota manage to get a $13K base price out of such a stripped car?
Marien
I would like to vote for the Cube, because I like the styling. I like how they looked outside of the box (pun intended). But that interior makes me cry. Same goes for the Yaris. Here in Europe it's been around for ages, but I still kind of like the styling. But the interior screams 'build for easy RHD conversion'. So I'm going to jump on the Fit bandwagon, mostly because I couldn't care less for the others.
Frederf
The Fit.

I think the Cube is fine on the exterior, it's the interior that gets me. The Verse gives me nightmares. I hate it so much after sitting in one. The interior is SO AWFUL I just threw up a little.
nismo
The fit. It's a great little car!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.