Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MKV stuff
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Pages: 1, 2, 3
b0mb3r
blah blah I installed a few bits here and there.

but I always wanted a boost gauge, who would not want one so they can watch their turbo pressure!

Anyway, there are few after market options available but I decided that I could make one that suited me better. This is the result:

Minus the zip tie, which is a temporary solution; I am satisfied but mounting the gauge in this location is pretty stupid because its more or less useless.
clarkma5
Yeah that's a really awful location. I'm not sure there's any point to a boost gauge unless your car's reaching a reasonably high state of tune, otherwise it's just a "look at me!" feature.
dukenukem
I agree with clarkma because stock cars never eat their turbos or develop leaks which will cause the turbo to not reach target boost or shoot past the limit.
Kip_666
Some cars it's handy to have a boost gauge, cause the butt dyno isn't as accurate. You can also see directly that there's something wrong, too much boost or not enough. Turbo systems are a bit more complicated than people think.

Here's mine, on the left: You see it hasn't ruined the dash because it was already awful.
I tried to go for a less flashy one.
b0mb3r
I actually had some boost issues and it was nice to see when I fixed them, it was making right boost. You guys are such elitists...
dukenukem
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Feb 15 2009, 03:54 PM) *
I actually had some boost issues and it was nice to see when I fixed them, it was making right boost. You guys are such elitists...

i was being sarcastic ...
infinity
That location makes no sense to me. I feel like if I had a car with a turbo I'd like a gauge, too, but that is an awful place to put it. You'd have to take your eyes far from the road just to watch your boost (which, under acceleration, probably isn't a smart/safe idea).
Razor
Why didn't you get the air vent gauge holder? This is DIY at its worst.
b0mb3r
I guess I should have mentioned that this was a test... and that I am probably going to relocate this thing to the steering column... I thought that it would be useful there but it turned out otherwise.
OHirtenfelder
Why didn't you get the air vent gauge holder? This is DIY at its worst.

I have to agree. It's a very cool idea, it's just REALLY badly executed. It looks cheap and nasty. Even one of the 'go faster' gauge pods on the dash would look better. Once you've mounted it better, it should look much cooler.
b0mb3r
I did not think it looked that bad... but I am practicing smile.gif
Mr b00st
is your car running more boost than stock?

otherwise that's not very useful except for seeing if you have a boost leak

which, since you have stock MKV with 55k on it, you probably do - the stock DV sucks arse.

i'm a big fan of the NewSouth column pod, but i think your gauge might be too big for it.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Feb 16 2009, 10:03 AM) *
is your car running more boost than stock?

otherwise that's not very useful except for seeing if you have a boost leak

which, since you have stock MKV with 55k on it, you probably do - the stock DV sucks arse.

i'm a big fan of the NewSouth column pod, but i think your gauge might be too big for it.

the expert has spoken. There are plenty of people who run Stage 1 and 2 on their cars with stock DV. Also my gauge is exactly the same size as the new south one - 52mm.
b0mb3r

oh noez my MKV iz broken!!!!!!!!!!
fiber optic
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Apr 13 2009, 09:31 AM) *

Visit My Website
Kip_666
good excuse for a bigger turbo (if it's that)
MustangAficionado
bankE46
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Apr 13 2009, 05:07 PM) *

what doesn't this stuff clean?? it should just say "ADD TO CAR FOR WIN."
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(BankieVR6 @ Apr 13 2009, 04:00 PM) *
what doesn't this stuff clean?? it should just say "ADD TO CAR FOR WIN."

It makes smoke at start up after use. Which is my bet what the pics are from
b0mb3r
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Apr 13 2009, 05:45 PM) *
It makes smoke at start up after use. Which is my bet what the pics are from

that is correct smile.gif I thought my picture names would give it away. I seafoamed my car and my sisters car... it made a noticeable difference on both but her car smoked much more then mine; wish I thought to take some pictures of it.
Phix
How much is this stuff? Sounds like a cureall.
clarkma5
The Miata guys talk about seafoam a lot...usually somewhat wearily.
fiber optic
QUOTE(Phix @ Apr 13 2009, 10:11 PM) *
How much is this stuff? Sounds like a cureall.

Less than $5 for a can of it.
infinity
Damn I need to invest in some of that stuff. I bet it would do wonders for my car.

It says it's $9 from Advance Auto Parts.
Aircooled
I mainline that shit when I'm down in the dumps, it gets me up every time.
dukenukem
I was hoping it was a blown turbo so i could hate on the gti some more. tongue.gif
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Apr 14 2009, 10:30 PM) *
I was hoping it was a blown turbo so i could hate on the gti some more. tongue.gif

NA FTW
clarkma5
Says Mr. Evo lover?
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 14 2009, 11:09 PM) *
Says Mr. Evo lover?

Addendum: for the Mk V platform. tongue.gif
b0mb3r
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Apr 14 2009, 06:30 PM) *

I never understood why all the pooparu guys hate on VWs... it almost feels like that they all secretly wishing to get a VW? smile.gif

QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 14 2009, 07:29 PM) *
Addendum: for the Mk V platform. tongue.gif

eh turbo cars have more fun smile.gif.
Razor
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Apr 15 2009, 08:39 AM) *
eh turbo cars have more fun smile.gif.

My exhaust sound and low-end torque say different. tongue.gif
darinzon
1000hp/l ultimately has the final word in this.
turbo
Razor
QUOTE(darinzon @ Apr 15 2009, 03:50 PM) *
1000hp/l ultimately has the final word in this.
turbo

That would be just peachy going to the front wheels.
porsche944
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 15 2009, 05:21 PM) *
That would be just peachy going to the front wheels.

drive backwards or get a new car
b0mb3r
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 15 2009, 05:51 AM) *
My exhaust sound and low-end torque say different. tongue.gif

what low end torque? i bet my 2.0T has a fatter torque.
clarkma5
Must we have an R32 vs. GTI debate in here?

GTIs weigh less, cost less, and are cheaper to run but lack AWD and that nice VR6 noise. R32s sound better, turn better, but you're paying for the privelege and DSG-only. There, debate over.

So bomb3r, how did that seafoam work out? How did you use it...in the oil, in the fuel tank, in the intake manifold, somewhere else? I think my friend's corolla could benefit from some of that stuff.
b0mb3r
I went conservative... I know that seafoam can damage 2.0T injectors... so I just used a basketball needle and sucked it through the intake, past throttle body. The car idles smoother and engine seems to run smoother. but i noticed a huge difference on my sister's mazda 3 after seafoam, which was done in the same fashion though the intake, past throttle body.
clarkma5
Good to know. I think my friend's 4AFE gets pretty significant carbon buildup in the heads so I think it would benefit a lot from something like this...it feels scary to rev it past 3500 RPM.
b0mb3r
Hi my name is BPY motor and I hate my owners:

probably will have to change my oil now. idiot.gif idiot.gif idiot.gif idiot.gif
fiber optic
Does it look the same on the dipstick?
b0mb3r
not yet, but I am going to change the oil... I have a catch can system installed... forgot that I am supposed to drain it often during cold weather idiot.gif idiot.gif idiot.gif idiot.gif
Aircooled
meh, mine used to look like that in the cold weather sometimes. It happens when you do a lot of small trip driving. Water in the oil never gets completely driven out and forms a gross looking emulsion. Since I drive my car regularly to college now it is not a problem. It should only be at the fill hole (not the vagina one)

Old pic...
b0mb3r
i drive 30 miles one way... so that should not a problem.
abbozzo
That looks like a LOT of water is mixing with the oil. "Would you like a jar of mayonnaise with your engine oil sir?" Does the engine smoke? Is your head gasket worn? If I was going to buy a car and saw that in the cap I would walk away.
Aircooled
Mine or his?
b0mb3r
changed oil...
woke up to this on saturday:

SwissWhiskey
With proper shoes the GTI is a blast in snow. I did 300km last weekend in a friends GTI, mostly on snow (highway/countryroads) since they couldn't catch up with clearing the roads.
b0mb3r
i agree smile.gif they are a lot of fun in the snow, except i pretty much scrape the ground with my subframe sad.gif
b0mb3r
have not bought anything for the car for a while... it felt neglected:

so yes I realize that its just a fancy shmancy intake, which does not increase power from my filter on the stick. but you can't deny that it looks great.
And my car almost sounds stock.
Aircooled
I'm confused, are these just carbon fiber sections of pipe?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.