Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: C2 or C4
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Bjorn
I often play around with the idea of buying a new 997 (something I am in no position to do ATM). I am constantly at the Porsche website configuring 911s, always starting with a base C2, and not adding many options. I figure I'll be pretty happy with the base stereo, brakes, suspension and all that, maybe adding sport seats.

With the new 997 mk.II I am slightly conflicted.

Magazines such as Excellence and GT Porsche seem to have the opinion that the new C4 is no longer a compromise compared to the C2, and that with the introduction of PTM, the handling of the C4 is almost indistinguishable from that of it's rear-wheel-drive sibling.

Add to these revelations the Autoblog article which claims that the drive to the front can be canceled with a single upward click of the parking brake lever (In PDK equipped cars) and the C4 becomes an even more tempting option.

Living where I do (in the middle of Canada) the C4 makes so much more sense if you want your 911 to be more than just a weekend car, but I always dismissed it due to the compromises which had to be made to have AWD. With these no longer taking center stage, my choices have become a lot more difficult.
clarkma5
The C4's definitely a great car...but without any major wet weather or snow concerns in California, I will always pick the lighter, cheaper, and "purer" RWD Carrera for myself. Though I could never look down at anyone buying a C4 over a C2, whether they lived in the driest southwestern desert or the windswept tundra or anywhere in between.
Razor
New England winters say Carrera 4 for the win.
nismo
Carrera 4
Synesthesia
I voted 4. Even just in rain having the 4 would be great...especially with no compromises. (other than increased cost)
moe
With PDK, you can actually disable the AWD system on your C4 and turn it into a C2. Also, that strip between the tailights on the C4 is, oh so sexy...I had to vote C4...
Mitlov
I chose C2. I'd never have a 911 as my only car, and whatever sort of sedan I have could be my middle-of-winter car. The C2 is lighter, and you're only able to switch from 4WD to 2WD on the C4 if you get the PDK transmission. And I would want a manual transmission in a Porsche if I'm going to get a Porsche.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Nov 15 2008, 10:14 PM) *
you're only able to switch from 4WD to 2WD on the C4 if you get the PDK transmission.

Oh, somehow I missed that. If anyone cares, change my vote to C2...that's definitely a deal breaker. What a weird restriction.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Nov 16 2008, 05:22 PM) *
Oh, somehow I missed that. If anyone cares, change my vote to C2...that's definitely a deal breaker. What a weird restriction.

done
infinity
Porsche in Canada? I'd go for the 4.
Bjorn
Weird, I remembered reading a while ago criticisms about the C4, saying that because the fuel tank straddles the differential in the C4, that it had a decreased capacity. Looking on the Porsche website the C4 actually has a bigger tank, at 67L vs 64L for the C2...

Maybe the fuel tank capacities are different in Europe.

Edit, they are the same volumes for each car respectively, in the UK...
350Z
You could get a C2S for C4 money which is what I would do.
moe
I change my mind. I wouldn't get the PDK, I don't need AWD, and I like the 911 better without the little red strip the Carrera 4 gets. So I'll take a regular Carrera S please.
350Z
While we are on the topic is the 3.8 going to become the new engine in later years?
clarkma5
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Nov 18 2008, 04:02 PM) *
I change my mind. I wouldn't get the PDK, I don't need AWD, and I like the 911 better without the little red strip the Carrera 4 gets. So I'll take a regular Carrera S please.

Changed

QUOTE(350Z @ Nov 18 2008, 04:12 PM) *
While we are on the topic is the 3.8 going to become the new engine in later years?

The 3.6 is still very very viable for now and it will definitely live on through the end of the 997 generation...with fuel economy and emissions being major concerns, Porsche may choose to stick with it through the 998 generation as well. basically they just went to a whole new architecture for both motors and I don't see them being in any rush to abandon that, especially because it looks like the new 3.6 and 3.8 are some of Porsche's greatest motors since the original 3.2 liter 956 motor that has been the basis for the vast majority of their high-end and motorsports motors for the better part of 30 years.
350Z
So for the 3.8 is it a simple bore out of the 3.6?
clarkma5
QUOTE(350Z @ Nov 19 2008, 08:23 AM) *
So for the 3.8 is it a simple bore out of the 3.6?

The 3.8 has a larger bore and stroke than the 3.6 for its displacement increase (btw both the bore and the stroke are different for the new 3.6 and 3.8 compared to the old 3.6 and 3.8...because despite the same numbers, they're actually totally new engines) I dunno if they're the same block or anything but they share many of the same common design features (bore spacing, crank architecture, materials, etc.)
moe
There was a Porsche exhibit at a new mall here, and I stopped by (and got a free poster YAY!). They had a Carrera S with Turbo rims, a tan leather interior, and was finished in the rather exquisite Porsche Racing Green. The combo was perfect and that particular 911 was easily one of the most beautiful cars I have ever come across.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.