Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Jaguar XK
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
I've always thought the current Jag XK was a pretty car. Beautiful, in fact. Then I saw the old XK. I've never seen very many of them, and it had been a while since I'd seen my last one. I saw two within the last week, and both times remember going, "Wow, that's a beautiful car." To which a friend replied, "But that's the old one." That's when I realized just how much better the old one looked. Anyone else agree?

350Z
Old one is alot classier, plus it's got the DB7 lines which always look good. The new one looks more aggressive but I think thats partly because the one you posted is the XKR.
fiber optic
The previous one, which I prefer, looks more like a classic Jaguar than the new one.
Bjorn
I like the Coupe versions of the old XK, more than the current XK? I don't know. The new convertible is miles better than the awkwardness of the old model.

I think the headlights, front bumper and taillights of the current XK are it's weakest design element. Were they to be restyled in an Audi/Porsche fashion I think it would be a more cohesive design. I also think the hood vents on the XKR are kinda weak, and look like an after thought.

That being said, the old XK design was great from some angles, but poor from others. It's rear overhang was stupid big, wheels never seems to look right on it, like the arches were the wrong shape to complement round things, and the interior was a throwback to the 80's (which considering its XJS underpinnings is no great surprise).

Side by side I think the new car eaks out, but my opinion may change in 15 years, since I have a feeling the old design will age better than the new.
clarkma5
I think I actually prefer the new one, but it's really quite evolutionary when you put them side by side.
DB9
Current for sure. Old one was beautiful a couple years ago, but now that the new one is out and about, it definitely takes the cake.
Easton
me wikey new one
dukenukem
I much prefer the newer one to the old one.
moe
QUOTE(350Z @ Nov 11 2008, 12:17 AM) *
Old one is alot classier, plus it's got the DB7 lines which always look good. The new one looks more aggressive but I think thats partly because the one you posted is the XKR.

To be fair, both pictures posted are XKRs.

The older design seems sleeker, and more exotic to me. The new one looks more blocky, and bulky to me...which doesn't work as well.
BadBoi
I prefer the looks of the older one. It's sleeker, and has this "sprung" look to it. The new one is a very pretty car but the details on the front of the car, such as the headlights and the lower grill, in my opinion, give it a bulkier, fatter look.
350Z
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Nov 11 2008, 11:24 AM) *
To be fair, both pictures posted are XKRs.

The older design seems sleeker, and more exotic to me. The new one looks more blocky, and bulky to me...which doesn't work as well.

Oh yes, should have realised when I saw those rims.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.