Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stolen photos
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
spphoto.dk
I don't know if it was stolen or whatever it was. But I know that I like to be informed if my pics are seen around the net.

Link to the site
porsche944
or tell em to paypal you 50$
Synesthesia
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Nov 9 2008, 09:31 PM) *

Surely you're not serious... tard.gif
porsche944
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Nov 10 2008, 12:30 AM) *
Surely you're not serious... tard.gif

paypal me 50$
911xx
lol
dphan
get em coach!
spphoto.dk
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Nov 10 2008, 04:31 AM) *

More like 51$!!!!!!!! That'd be wicked crazy yo.
Performance Imagery
I think I'm going to go get my law degree and work for Easton. I'll never be out of a job then!

Get'em man!!

Wow, then even took the time to alter the photo with flashy lights!
TorqueJunkie
I wish I was good enough to have my stuff stolen lol
goota
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Nov 9 2008, 07:31 PM) *

more like $50000, there's interest yo.
varro
What ? Is it nonlegal to use someones picture without permission ? bitchfight.gif shoot.gif head.gif die.gif
I fawking hate those thieves
Boily
QUOTE(Brennan McKissick @ Nov 10 2008, 11:07 AM) *
I wish I was good enough to have my stuff stolen lol

ahaha word laugh.gif
JC_PHOTGRAPHY
MAYBE WE NEED A TOPIC JUST FOR REPORTING STOLEN WORK WE FIND
DB9
It would all be filled with easton's work. But that's actually not a bad idea, I'd support it.
Easton
Yeah - that is a good idea. But the idea of reporting is to bring it to the attention of those infringed. And not every photographer will necessarily check the thread regularly.

What do others think? Shall we make a new sticky thread for this purpose?
ScottChu
I would definitely keep an eye out for DS photog material for the thread.
wilch
QUOTE(Easton @ Nov 12 2008, 04:53 PM) *
Yeah - that is a good idea. But the idea of reporting is to bring it to the attention of those infringed. And not every photographer will necessarily check the thread regularly.

What do others think? Shall we make a new sticky thread for this purpose?

I think it's a good idea.
Dejan Sokolovski
It's a good idea yeah, make a sticky for that... =)
Tifun
I'm new and suck as a photographer, but the few things I have had featured I take a lot of pride in. I vote sticky.
Boily
QUOTE(Dejan Sokolovski @ Nov 12 2008, 07:13 PM) *
It's a good idea yeah, make a sticky for that... =)

x123
andywee
well turn it into a good deal. it can be a win-win situation. I managed to turn a manufacturer that stole my image and we talked and i ended up doing their worldwide ad campaign. I cant reveal who until the NDA expires. once i get my payment, I'm gonna build myself a dry carbon fibre rig.
MartijnGizmo
Ah, that's gotta be the Italian guys, nice work Andy! smile.gif

This can help to find back your pics: http://tineye.com
TorqueJunkie
thats pretty cool, I vote sticky as well
porsche944
How often does this actually come up?
DB9
QUOTE(andywee @ Nov 17 2008, 11:21 AM) *
well turn it into a good deal. it can be a win-win situation. I managed to turn a manufacturer that stole my image and we talked and i ended up doing their worldwide ad campaign. I cant reveal who until the NDA expires. once i get my payment, I'm gonna build myself a dry carbon fibre rig.

I'm gonna say either Pagani, because i remember they had something of yours recently. Or VW because you just did an ad for them i remember.
andywee
QUOTE(DB9 @ Nov 18 2008, 08:00 AM) *
I'm gonna say either Pagani, because i remember they had something of yours recently. Or VW because you just did an ad for them i remember.

nah, I'm only doing regional work for VW. have been shooting for them every month.

i wont say who. zipped. wink.gif I'll show the pics once I am able to show them. all i can say is agency stuff is unbelievably stressful. I'm given only 1 day per image to finish the retouching.

as for stealing images. once they approve and implement orphan works, they have the right to use it. the only way to protect ourselves now is to add in watermarks. and start getting fingers into commercial ligitation.
spphoto.dk
Yeah sticky this. I'll rename the topic if I can.
Easton
STICKIED!

Wow - first time I used my mod powers in years tongue.gif
clarkma5
Here's another one for you Easton...from a video game called "Racer":

http://www.racer.nl/
Boily
^loll good one !!
so much of easton's stuff all over the internet ...
Tifun
QUOTE(MartijnGizmo @ Nov 17 2008, 09:45 AM) *

I tried that page......it doesn't find anything of the pics I've posted on forums. I think they need to work out some bugs. Great concept though.
moe
Hey Easton, I just bought some posters of your work from the local CarreFour. It was the Shelby GT500, they also had the NSX-R and the 300C available. The publisher on the bottom is www.gbeye.com...are they legit?

EDIT: I just hit up their site, apparently they are.
Davidsen
Easton check this out:
http://www.sturupraceway.com/business/RaceDine.aspx
Davidsen
QUOTE(Easton @ Dec 8 2008, 01:53 AM) *
oh wait - i don't think that last ones mine biggrin.gif

After a closer look I think you're right Easton: The needle on your photo is about 8000 rpm, and on the “stolen” picture it's only about 7200. The angle is slightly different as well.
Even though, it looks a lot like your work. Or maybe a little worse tongue.gif
Blue Devil
I think everyone here will find this very useful...

http://tineye.com

give it a try... they just started but it looks very promising ...
DB9
QUOTE(MartijnGizmo @ Nov 17 2008, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Blue Devil @ Dec 16 2008, 02:28 PM) *
I think everyone here will find this very useful...

http://tineye.com

give it a try... they just started but it looks very promising ...

DS2_Rep0st_Cop2.gif

Still cool though tongue.gif
pterps
I have seen a lot of pictures on websites in this topic, but what to do if one of your pics has been used on a television programm?

A dutch programm used one of my pictures last monday in a show on tv. It was for a topic about the Maybach Landaulette.

I have send them a mail and asked them to come with a proposal to solve the problem.

nismo
Fuck thieves.
slauk
Isn't this Eastons photo, just a little modified?

Link: Club Honda Norway
Easton
bah
spphoto.dk
QUOTE(Easton @ Dec 20 2008, 03:47 AM) *
bah

Hahahaha - The backside of being a world famous car photographer. I bet you can't even do shit about 75% of the cases, amirite?
andywee
QUOTE(spphoto.dk @ Dec 20 2008, 06:10 PM) *
Hahahaha - The backside of being a world famous car photographer. I bet you can't even do shit about 75% of the cases, amirite?

actually you are wrong. the more famous you are, the higher price you can get out of the whole ordeal. the biggest problem with these cases is the photograher usually has to come up with the legal fees first. and hoping that at the end of the deal, you get more than what it costs you to start the commerical legitation. if i am not wrong, it cost AU$20k to start for australia. each country has got a different set of fees. for australia, the $20k that we(photographers) pay cannot claim back from the other side. so the whole ordeal, if it doesnt drag too long, can cost up to $50k. so the image has to worst at least $50k.

in australia it cost au$20k.
in singapore it costs $5k but the ceiling limit that we can claim is only $20k per image. but if the plaintiff is not in singapore then it becomes a different issue.

most of the time, online web cases are US/worldwide issues. eg server is in 1 country, plaintiff is in another country.
if i recall the limit for UK is $120k GBP per image
US is $200k USD per image.

being famous is not something someone say. but based on how many companies look at it..
eg, Easton by far is more famous than me in everyone's eyes. but because I have nikon worldwide recognition, I can claim more than 2x when compared to Easton.
having won international competitions and getting sponsored are multipliers to the 'famous' quota.
the famous factor in otherwords must be a physical evidence and not just a hearsay.

My situation is very different. I have good terms with my lawyer. so I persue each and every case that comes to my knowledge. most of my cases so far are settled 'out of court'. I guess in the industry word has gotten out that I am quite agressive in such issues that many have taken me very seriously. partial such issues is to keep the money rolling. eg, the money won from such cases are used to roll for the next case. all it takes is to just get the first case started and stick to it to the end.
andywee
QUOTE(pterps @ Dec 20 2008, 06:11 AM) *
I have seen a lot of pictures on websites in this topic, but what to do if one of your pics has been used on a television programm?

A dutch programm used one of my pictures last monday in a show on tv. It was for a topic about the Maybach Landaulette.

I have send them a mail and asked them to come with a proposal to solve the problem.

I have mentioned this before..
dont ask them for a solution..

start by sending them email/contacting them, telling them that you are very happy that they found your image good enough to use. and you would be delighted to send them more images if they need so. meantime, tell them that usual cases, you would be charging them licensing fee and statuatory damages. but you are willing to understand their oversight of using your image(s) without your permission.

tell them what you normally charge. and send them your regular licensing invoice. then tell them that if they found your other images good enough for them to use also, tell them you are willing to offer some discount in licensing fee for the other images they intend to use.

i hope this help. I'm glad this is stickied. kinda tired of repeating this over and over again.

as for licensing fee, there are a few factors that contribute to the total figure.
1) what medium is it used for, eg billboards, newsprint, magazines, etc
2) how many copies
3) size of print
4) how many countries
5) I remember there is a fifth. but cant put my finger to it. when i remember i'll fill this up again. <g> yeah I'm getting old.

how the formula works

MEDIUM: magazines=1, etc etc, if medium is mag & newspaper, MEDIUM=2
COPIES: if the mag printed 20k and newspaper = 100k then COPIES=120k divided by X. (x=something that you decided.)
SIZE: full page for mag and 1/2 page for newsprint, then SIZE= 1.5
COUNTRIES USED. mag=6 countries, newsprint=1 then COUNTRIES=6 (whichever is higher)

MEDIUM * COPIES/X * SIZE * COUNTRIES = licensing fee.

if anyone has a more accurate formula feel free to correct me.
Boily
Easton
bah
George Manont
Hi,

My 2 cents ;

1. If it is for commercial use, just give 'em a lite warning. Meanwhile you have to gauge the actions, cost and benefits !

2. If it is NOT for commercial use, why don't you feel proud that your work is adored by cyber people.

This is a matter of thinking. You can sue 'em but the judge would NOT treate this type as a priority.

Peace.
wooter
http://www.speedwear.be/index1.html ...
Benny
Easton Chang: world renowned for illegal use of his images
Costas
So uhh.. one of my clients that I had done a shoot for said one of his pics got used in Nissan Sport Magazine as seen here:

It's the white Z under 1990-1996 category. Should I bother doing anything about this? They didn't contact me or offer any type of compensation for using my photo.. hMMMMMMMMMM. I wonder if anyone here knows the photographers of any of the other photo's on there, and if they even know their photo got used.

edit: just got this email from the car owner
i got another email from them...he said that my car and pics are
likely to make a one page feature, but prob not till later in the
year...which is okay, cause i'm doing a complete chrome engine bay
project right now and i'll be able to submit pics of that as
well....you'll hear from me again
JustinCesler
Costas,

Reading that last email actually hurts my brain. I feel for you.....wow, that is amazing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.