Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Next GT3 and GT3 RS discussion
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Bjorn
Found this on Autoblog, which is a repost from globalmotors.net
Current 911 (997) has already got the facelift on Carrera and Carrera S (including AWD 4 and 4S). Facelift is still in the works for Turbo, GT3, GT2 and track oriented GT3 RS. Here we have the latest spy photos of the 2010 GT3 RS. Facelifted 911 GT3 RS is expected to make its world debut next spring as a 2010 model.

Facelifted GT3 RS is based on the Carrera 4 body featuring the same widened track and carbon fiber interior as the current GT3 RS, main changes are not very big when you compare it with the current model.

What’s probably most important is the power boost thanks to new direct-injection system. We have no information how much will the numbers change, but current 405 hp is already a lot. Also acceleration times will improve thanks to new Doppelkupplung dual-klutch system.

Exterior changes include LED daytime lights, redesigned taillights, larger air intakes and a new lip spoiler.

I take exception to a few assumptions made in this article, and was wondering what your thoughts are?

1) there has been lots of speculation about Porsche abandoning the split case engine which has powered all of the GT3's, in favor of a 3.8L direct injection engine. I'm not so sure. I beleive the split case engine has been bored out to a maximum of 4.0L, meaning that if Porsche felt a need to give the 997 GT3 mkII more power, it might be able to do it with a bigger version of the same engine, which I feel would be a much better swan song then just dropping it all together.

2) lots of rumours are floating around about the GT3 only having a PDK transmission. I could see it maybe maybe maybe having a PDK as an option, but IMO Porsche would have to make the paddles more motorsport orientated, like in the F430. Reports I have read about the current PDK paddles say that if you are used to the Tiptronic system they are intuitive and easy to use, but are not optimal for hard driving.

What are your thoughts?
clarkma5
1) I see the chance of Porsche dropping the old engine architecture and adopting the new Carrera's at about 50/50. The old GT3/Turbo motor dates back to the day of the 956 as you know, and it has been a fantastic motor all those years, but ~25 years is a long time for an engine architecture to stick around. The new 997 Carrera motors are the first ones that could really threaten to replace that old workhorse since they're significantly lighter, stronger, and use significantly less moving parts. The new Carrera motors really are fantastic, but we'll see if Porsche makes that leap for the sake of a facelift. Direct injection is flat-out guaranteed either way. If they stick with the old case design I suspect we'll still see only 3.6 liters; the new one would be 3.8. Seeing the GT2's resonance intake manifold would be fun too.

2) PDK-only is bullshit...I sincerely doubt Porsche will do it and if they do I will be surpremely disappointed. In fact I wouldn't even bet on PDK being optional for this car, Porsche has always found the manual to be the superior choice for their highest performing models, if not because of the outright speed of them then because that's what their consumers demand.

Carrera bodywork on the GT3 with Carrera 4 bodywork on the GT3 RS is the norm after the existing cars. We'll certainly see that continue. PCCB will continue to be optional to appease the trackheads. GT2-style launch control on the manual will almost certainly happen.
Mitlov
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Oct 23 2008, 11:34 AM) *
2) PDK-only is bullshit...I sincerely doubt Porsche will do it and if they do I will be surpremely disappointed. In fact I wouldn't even bet on PDK being optional for this car, Porsche has always found the manual to be the superior choice for their highest performing models, if not because of the outright speed of them then because that's what their consumers demand.

But Nissan never even put an automatic in the GT-R at all until the R35, when they went dual-clutch auto as the only option, right? Volkswagen never even put an automatic in the R32 at all until the MkV, when they went dual-clutch auto as the only US-market option, right? Mitsubishi never put an automatic in the EVO at all until the EVO X, when they went dual-clutch auto as the only option in the highest-end US-market EVO?

So many manufacturers are switching to dual-clutch autos in their highest-end performance cars, because of the objective performance advantages and wider appeal, that I wouldn't be that surprised if the GT3 or the GT3 RS went that route too.
clarkma5
Yeah but Porsche is a better company than Nissan, VW, or Mitsubishi, let's be fair. They understand that PDK is a tiptronic replacement, not a manual replacement, and god knows they'd never foist an automatic-only GT3 on their consumer base.
Mitlov
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Oct 23 2008, 11:53 AM) *
Yeah but Porsche is a better company than Nissan, VW, or Mitsubishi, let's be fair. They understand that PDK is a tiptronic replacement, not a manual replacement, and god knows they'd never foist an automatic-only GT3 on their consumer base.

Isn't the F430 Scuderia a paddle-shift-only setup, no third pedal available? It's not like this would be without precedent, even amongst higher-end sports car manufacturers.

I'm not saying that I know for sure that's what Porsche would do, and I'm not saying it's a good thing if they do go PDK only. I just think it's the way the entire market is going right now.
Synesthesia
There's no freaking way the new models would be PDK-only. Ferrari's Scud' doesn't really prove anything, Porsche and Ferrari have very different philosophies when it comes to making cars.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Oct 23 2008, 11:59 AM) *
Isn't the F430 Scuderia a paddle-shift-only setup, no third pedal available? It's not like this would be without precedent, even amongst higher-end sports car manufacturers.

I'm not saying that I know for sure that's what Porsche would do, and I'm not saying it's a good thing if they do go PDK only. I just think it's the way the entire market is going right now.

QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Oct 23 2008, 02:01 PM) *
There's no freaking way the new models would be PDK-only. Ferrari's Scud' doesn't really prove anything, Porsche and Ferrari have very different philosophies when it comes to making cars.

Yeah, Ferrari's philosophy has always been much more LOOK AT OUR TECHNOLOGY and justifying things by looking at tenths of a second on the race track. I feel Porsche's got more of an understanding that making their road cars faster doesn't always make their road cars better.
moe
Even if Porsche someday planned to replace the manual with the PDK, it wouldn't just drop the manual altogether. Just look at the history of the brand, it's always been a steady evolution, and it always will be. They're pushing the technology hard right now, and I'm guessing that means they'll put it on the GT3, but as an option.
Bjorn
I would be fine with PDK as an option, but they need to make some changes for it to work with the GT3 IMO.

Proper paddles is a big one. One for up-shifts, another for down-shifts, mounted to the steering column. Other than that I think PDK could be a fine addition to a GT3. I just don't feel that it could ever replace a proper manual.
Aircooled
I have to agree with clarkma's past 3 posts.

I don't think Porsche would be foolish enough to axe the manual. They can have the PDK as an option to take care of the performance numbers department but retain the manual for fun factor/owner demand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.