Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toyota Urban Cruiser 1.4 D-4D
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Seriously Uncool
Mitlov
This vehicle baffles me. It's a Scion xD subcompact with a 1.4L diesel making 89 hp and 205 Nm of torque (151 lb-ft), four-wheel-drive, a six-speed manual, and a name that alludes to the legendary Land Cruiser and the rock-crawling FJ Cruiser. I cannot decide whether I love it or hate it.

http://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2009-urban_cruiser/
duality
i have no idea about the performance/mechanical capabilites of the car. but its oddly good looking in a decent proportionate way...interior's alright too.
moe
I have a thing for small urban runabouts. All of them are cool in my book (except for sedans, and the Aveo and Getz...the Aveo is just sub-par as a car, and the Getz is too anonymous for a funky, little hatch). This is pretty robust looking...I like it.
Razor
Al-Gore-Is-A-Fucking-Maserati-Driving-Hypocrite Uncool
Bjorn
Looks like a Caliber, which is almost the worst thing you could say about a car's looks.

A 1.4L diesel engine in a small North American Toyota however is very very cool...Yaris Diesel anyone?
Mitlov
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 8 2008, 06:22 AM) *
Looks like a Caliber, which is almost the worst thing you could say about a car's looks.

A 1.4L diesel engine in a small North American Toyota however is very very cool...Yaris Diesel anyone?

I'm pretty sure that the Urban Cruiser is Europe-only.
OHirtenfelder
Looks like a Daihatsu Materia, IMO. But kinda cool though. The interior looks to be a little more funky than your run of the mill Toyota.
The back end does actually resemble a Calibre quite a bit, which is very bad, but from the front and inside, not too bad.
moe
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Oct 8 2008, 06:29 PM) *
I'm pretty sure that the Urban Cruiser is Europe-only.

I'd wager that the ME would get it too. The xA was sold here, and did pretty well. Since there's no direct replacement for the xA, the Land Cruiser brand is extremely strong, and SUVs are still very popular, it would be a shoe in.
Mitlov
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Oct 8 2008, 04:36 PM) *
I'd wager that the ME would get it too. The xA was sold here, and did pretty well. Since there's no direct replacement for the xA, the Land Cruiser brand is extremely strong, and SUVs are still very popular, it would be a shoe in.

Yeah, when I said "Europe-only," I meant "not available in North America," which in retrospect was a pretty inaccurate and America-centric way of putting things...my bad idiot.gif
clarkma5
I want to say it's cool because the xD body actually looks pretty good, the 4-wheel drive and 6-speed combo is good, and the diesel is a good selling point. But I know that Toyota just can't get the driving dynamics right these days, no matter what the spec sheet says.

Uncool.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Oct 8 2008, 07:46 PM) *
I want to say it's cool because the xD body actually looks pretty good, the 4-wheel drive and 6-speed combo is good, and the diesel is a good selling point. But I know that Toyota just can't get the driving dynamics right these days, no matter what the spec sheet says.

Uncool.

Fucking Amen to that. thumbs_up.gif
porsche944
"Fucking Uncool Please"
Synesthesia
I dig it, cool.

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Oct 8 2008, 07:46 PM) *

Uncool.

I wonder, are Toyota USA driving dynamics the same as those in other parts of the world? It seems like this sort of thing varies country to country for some other companies.
moe
Yeah they are. Other than the IS-F, they don't have a single car worth a shit to drive (if you're an enthusiast).
Mitlov
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Oct 9 2008, 02:07 AM) *
Yeah they are. Other than the IS-F, they don't have a single car worth a shit to drive (if you're an enthusiast).

I somehow don't think this car was meant to appeal to sporty folks in the first place, though. I mean, it's a diesel AWD small box with a name that alludes to an off-roader.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Oct 9 2008, 10:14 AM) *
I somehow don't think this car was meant to appeal to sporty folks in the first place, though. I mean, it's a diesel AWD small box with a name that alludes to an off-roader.

Well, two things for that:

1) Obviously, then, it's going to appeal to us less here on DS.
2) Good driving dynamics don't necessarily have to mean sporty. Toyotas suck to drive overall, even the comfy ones. Good driving dynamics will instill driver confidence even in something that's soft.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Oct 9 2008, 02:15 PM) *
2) Good driving dynamics don't necessarily have to mean sporty. Toyotas suck to drive overall, even the comfy ones. Good driving dynamics will instill driver confidence even in something that's soft.

Honestly I think you're just biased in this regard. I have heard from SO MANY non-enthusiasts that they love the way Toyotas drive.
moe
^ I think Clarkma's actually right, I'm trying to think of cars Toyota makes that are still above average to drive, and not just from an enthusiast perspective. TBH, I'm coming up with the Yaris, and that's about it.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Oct 10 2008, 06:03 AM) *
^ I think Clarkma's actually right, I'm trying to think of cars Toyota makes that are still above average to drive, and not just from an enthusiast perspective. TBH, I'm coming up with the Yaris, and that's about it.

I think we're all unavoidably biased. I don't necessarily understand it, I'm just saying, that's what many people tell me. The latest was a guy with a new Camry. Absolutely loved the way it drove, thought it was the greatest car of all time. I guess, of course, he could just be completely clueless.
Mitlov
My wife, father, and mother are all ga-ga for how Toyotas drive.

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into good car/bad car, and that's where it's headed.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Oct 10 2008, 06:24 AM) *
I think we're all unavoidably biased. I don't necessarily understand it, I'm just saying, that's what many people tell me. The latest was a guy with a new Camry. Absolutely loved the way it drove, thought it was the greatest car of all time. I guess, of course, he could just be completely clueless.

Yeah, I don't think we should be taking lessons on what's good to drive from the people who wouldn't know what's good to drive if it bit them in the ass.

When it comes to enjoying a car, there's a lot of perception and preference involved, no doubt. But there is a point where people are just ignorant (I don't mean the loaded, insulting version of "ignorant", just the fact that they're unknowledgeable in the subject matter, which is true of most buyers.)
Mitlov
I don't think it's ignorance, I think it's subjective tastes. A floaty ride gives you isolation from road bumps and road noise. Dead steering with a bit of free play tracks straight and true, even when you sneeze. If someone looks at vehicles solely as transportation appliances, a Buick Lucerne's ride IS more pleasant than an R32's, and a Tacoma's steering IS nicer to live with than an Exige's.

That said, I don't really know how the ride or the steering is in this Urban Cruiser thing. I just can't figure out what it's supposed to be. Miniature soft-roader? That's what the "cruiser" name and the AWD suggests, but it doesn't seem durable enough for that. Little urban runabout? Then the AWD doesn't make sense anymore, since it saps fuel economy and adds weight and cost.
Razor
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Oct 10 2008, 02:31 PM) *
a Buick Lucerne's ride IS more pleasant than an R32's

Not trying to fanboy the shit out of this thread but I know for a fact via experience that your example is false. tongue.gif
dukenukem
Its like me trying to bake a pie by following the recipe given to me by a Michelllin 4* chef. I will have all the right ingredients but in the end its going to end up as a miserable disaster.

Uncool.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 10 2008, 11:40 AM) *
If someone looks at vehicles solely as transportation appliances, a Buick Lucerne's ride IS more pleasant than an R32's

Not trying to fanboy the shit out of this thread but I know for a fact via experience that your example is false. tongue.gif

Um...are you coming from the perspective of someone who thinks of cars solely as transportation appliances? The context of that statement (i.e., the introductory phrase) was kind of important.
clarkma5
...Mitlov, I think Razor understood what you meant. Maybe the R32 is not the most justified comparison, maybe go for a non-sport Audi or BMW or a well-sorted Honda. Basically, a Buick floats and bobs. A good car will not, whether it's sporty or not. Comfort does not have to mean unnecessary suspension movement, which it does in bad cars. People who go for that are really just ignorant of what constitutes good suspension design, and it's not a matter of them preferring comfort vs. preferring sport.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Oct 10 2008, 09:03 PM) *
...Mitlov, I think Razor understood what you meant. Maybe the R32 is not the most justified comparison, maybe go for a non-sport Audi or BMW or a well-sorted Honda. Basically, a Buick floats and bobs. A good car will not, whether it's sporty or not. Comfort does not have to mean unnecessary suspension movement, which it does in bad cars. People who go for that are really just ignorant of what constitutes good suspension design, and it's not a matter of them preferring comfort vs. preferring sport.

Yeah, you got it. The Buick Lucerne has a horrid, wobbly suspension and terrible ride quality. Even the taught and sporty suspension on the R32 was more comfortable.
Megadeus
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Oct 10 2008, 11:31 AM) *
That said, I don't really know how the ride or the steering is in this Urban Cruiser thing. I just can't figure out what it's supposed to be. Miniature soft-roader? That's what the "cruiser" name and the AWD suggests, but it doesn't seem durable enough for that. Little urban runabout? Then the AWD doesn't make sense anymore, since it saps fuel economy and adds weight and cost.

Don't know why you're getting so hung up over this thing. It's an AWD subcompact runabout, probably aimed at the core Subaru market of all-weather, bad road driving. Not everyone wants or needs an SUV or truck. Obviously, the Urban Cruiser isn't going to tackle the Rubicon or climb the Rockies. Driving to the store in town on sunny or snowy days, and maybe a few muddy road occasionally seems the intended use. Blame the marketing dept. for trying to butch up its image with LC or FJ connotations.
moe
^ I wouldn't be that harsh about it. They're just tying the range together with the "Cruiser" name. It's not like they want you to believe it can go off-road, they did call it the URBAN Cruiser after all. I still think it's pretty funky, and the dynamics should be decent based on what I've read about the xD.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.