Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Direct wallpaper linking
Dieselstation Car Forums > Forum Issues > Issues & Suggestions
clarkma5
The only reason I have an account on the DS mainpage is to get direct download links to the .jpgs. Now those are gone.

http://www.dieselstation.com/cars/ferrari-...tures-a949.html

Nowhere to click so I can just "save target as". Faaaaabulous.
Diesel
yeah clark. you have to click on the image itself, then right click on the image and save as. or just drag it out to your desktop. Ketan made that change a long time ago. no more direct links to the wallpapers.
clarkma5
There were direct links until like a week ago...you had to be logged in, but then the resolution below each pic would be a direct link to the jpg. It's how I downloaded the 2009 Audi S4 pics, which were just posted on the 23rd.

Basically, Ketan's just making it harder and harder to actually get what is wanted from the site, generating more and more ad revenue for himself in the process, and I say it's bullshit. There's a point where ease of use trumps profitability (and c'mon, it required a login to use anyway, it's practically an inside secret only).
DB9
There are plenty of other sites that have more, and sometimes bigger, pictures. I stopped using dieselstation a long time ago because it never updates as fast as others.
clarkma5
I use dieselstation because there's a lack of watermarks and pop-up ads and the organization is still quite good.
b0mb3r
I just noticed this too... what a pain in the ass.
duality
why make things so complicated?
Razor
QUOTE(duality @ Dec 16 2008, 09:22 AM) *
why make things so complicated?

The same reason everything's gone downhill on the mainsite: money.
dukenukem
The guy has invested some serious money into this site. We can bitch about this for free because he is paying the server bills.
clarkma5
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Dec 16 2008, 01:35 PM) *
The guy has invested some serious money into this site. We can bitch about this for free because he is paying the server bills.

We know from the days when diesel ran it that this site runs a significant profit. All ketan's doing is increasing profits. If this was a matter of breaking even I wouldn't be complaining, but this inconvenience only serves to line Ketan's pockets. Not like he doesn't have a right to make a profit, but it's not like I don't have a right to complain about it!
Kip_666
lol, drama
clarkma5
Now he's changed it to some sort of flash-based slideshow player with tiny pictures, tons of compression, and a dieselstation watermark. When I try to click on "1600x1200" the page errors and it doesn't load hi-res. This is awful. I think Ketan has no soul or interest in his end users' opinion of him.
Razor
Since this thread clearly isn't doing jack shit, let's picket the mainsite with comments. Go on a little 'strike'...
Aircooled
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Dec 17 2008, 04:52 AM) *
Now he's changed it to some sort of flash-based slideshow player with tiny pictures, tons of compression, and a dieselstation watermark. When I try to click on "1600x1200" the page errors and it doesn't load hi-res. This is awful. I think Ketan has no soul or interest in his end users' opinion of him.

While I also dislike lackability of the direct linking, the only thing absolutely true in the above quote is the slide show comment.

For example. lets take the Buick Lacrosse Super, something everyone wants on their desktop. Click any of the attractive thumbnails. Then right click the picture with "tons of compression, and a dieselstation watermark" and you will have the option to open the high res image, or open it in a new window.

It takes you here http://www.dieselstation.com/wallpapers/al...se-Super-01.jpg

Where a nice high-res, good quality, non-watermarked image is located...

Not that I'm trying to defend Ketan, but I'm just saying the good ol stuff is still there...
dukenukem
The whole right click thing is counter intuitive. Might be a better idea to have buttons for the thing. Rest of the stuff i dont care much about.
dukenukem
Because all the kewl kids are doing it even i found something to bitch about!!!

"Superperformance Roush MKIII-R" It should be Superformance MKIII
Synesthesia
WOW, this new system for getting wallpapers is really shitty. The Dieselstation front page is now completely obsolete for me.
porsche944
that guy driving that car just hit a hole in uno on a tpc!
Dieselstation
I am trying to improve the way you could browse and download the wallpapers. I will make a change so that you have a link or button ('save image'), and when you click the link, it will open the high-res image. Apart from that, what is the difficult part you are encountering. I thought it was natural for people to right-click on images to save, and as a result gave a menu where you could get the high res image.
DB9
Lulz.
Aircooled
QUOTE(Dieselstation @ Dec 23 2008, 08:30 AM) *
I am trying to improve the way you could browse and download the wallpapers. I will make a change so that you have a link or button ('save image'), and when you click the link, it will open the high-res image. Apart from that, what is the difficult part you are encountering. I thought it was natural for people to right-click on images to save, and as a result gave a menu where you could get the high res image.

I personally like to have every picture of a car album both regular and wide screen versions. The current way it is takes a long time to save the images. I have a toolbar that I used to be able to use that detects linked images and will save them all to a directory of your choice. For it to work the thumbnail of the images has to take you to an actual jpg file not another webpage with the image embedded in it.

A fair trade off would be to leave everything as is bust just allow people to access the directory of the picture files.
Take this image address
CODE
http://www.dieselstation.com/wallpapers/albums/Mercedes/THE-NEW-BENZ-CLC/THE-NEW-MERCEDES-BENZ-CLC-07.jpg

If I typed in
CODE
http://www.dieselstation.com/wallpapers/albums/Mercedes/THE-NEW-BENZ-CLC/
and saw a list of the image files that would be ok.

Similar to this http://www.w3.org/Icons/
clarkma5
^^yeah, that's really all I ask, a direct link to the actual image. You can make it a bit of a secret or require you to be logged in to have it if you like, because I know the deeper you embed pictures in pages the more ad revenue you get, but it certainly does make me not even bother with the main page of this site anymore.
b0mb3r
I agree with clark... I have not really been to the front page in months.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.