Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT-R spotted, at a BMW dealer... wait, what?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Car Sightings
Audi Addict
I was cruising the local BMW lot (I was bored) and was about to leave when I saw some car headed toward me. I stopped as a black GT-R burbled past. I sat frozen for a second, then reversed into a spot and went to check it out. The owners were very nice and we talked for an hour at least. Got to ride in the car and I can attest the car is insane. We took a right onto the main road and he got the rear end out pretty far for a AWD car. It is a huge, powerful, very attractive beast.

Onto the pics:

M3 being scared:

Engine:

Interior:

~Simply amazing car!
redls1bird
What was he interested in at the bimmer place?
Mr b00st
This car was obscenely fast. Really, just obscenely fast. The guy was really just looking - like we were. For a car with that much power, it was surprisingly quiet and somewhat refined. Not much back seat room though. Hopefully look for an upcoming article on my website.
Mitlov
Hooray to an amazing car and pleasant owners thereof. Boo to drifting on "the main road."
Audi Addict
I wasn't driving, and it was accidental, let it go.
redls1bird
I have to agree with the drifting on the road. Also, if it was "accidental" than that means the driver cant control the vehicle, and should probably park it.
clarkma5
Piffle you're all overreacting. I can't speak for the GT-R's handling characteristics in particular but I know I've experienced a little sideways action when I didn't expect it...often on a race track or autocross course, but it was still something that happened when a small dip or bump in the roadway or something like that produced an unexpected, but very catchable, bit of sliding despite not driving near 10/10ths. Also, I'm seriously not about to wag my finger at someone who's showing off his GT-R to a couple curious young car guys...that's more like being totally cool than being a total douche.
Mitlov
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Sep 25 2008, 03:43 PM) *
Piffle you're all overreacting. I can't speak for the GT-R's handling characteristics in particular but I know I've experienced a little sideways action when I didn't expect it...often on a race track or autocross course, but it was still something that happened when a small dip or bump in the roadway or something like that produced an unexpected, but very catchable, bit of sliding despite not driving near 10/10ths. Also, I'm seriously not about to wag my finger at someone who's showing off his GT-R to a couple curious young car guys...that's more like being totally cool than being a total douche.

I'd agree if this was an empty parking lot or a country lane with good visibility and little traffic. I'm not going to go so far as to say "never do anything illegal on a public road under any circumstances." But this happened on "the main road," not some autocross course or a race track or even an empty country lane.

Audi Addict, the "boo" was directed at the driver of the car, not you. Obviously it's not your fault that he thinks the town's main road is his own personal autocross course.
4wheelfreak
^ +1 about the 'not a douche' thing
clarkma5
...Mitlov you're jumping to a ton of conclusions. Honestly now, you weren't there, you don't know what the slide looked like, you don't know if this guy drives like this all the time or was just showing a good time to his enthusiastic passengers once, you don't know what "main road" really means here (it could be a relatively rural highway, for instance, or an empty thoroughfare through business parks after hours), you don't know how crowded it was, you don't know if there were any pedestrians or cyclists in the area, etc. etc. etc.

If you're going to say "I'm not going to go so far as to say 'never do anything illegal on a public road under any circumstances.'" then mean it! Otherwise that's just lip service.
Razor
The GTR is simply the coolest GT + Track car... ever.

/want.
Mitlov
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Sep 25 2008, 03:56 PM) *
...Mitlov you're jumping to a ton of conclusions. Honestly now, you weren't there, you don't know what the slide looked like, you don't know if this guy drives like this all the time or was just showing a good time to his enthusiastic passengers once, you don't know what "main road" really means here (it could be a relatively rural highway, for instance, or an empty thoroughfare through business parks after hours), you don't know how crowded it was, you don't know if there were any pedestrians or cyclists in the area, etc. etc. etc.

If you're going to say "I'm not going to go so far as to say 'never do anything illegal on a public road under any circumstances.'" then mean it! Otherwise that's just lip service.

Oh fuck off. He said "main road." All I did was repeat that terminology in my post. And he said "he got the rear end out pretty far for a AWD car," not "the rear end moved a little bit when he hit a bump." There's nothing about that sentence that makes it sound accidental or insignificant. I accepted what he said and responded, instead of cross-examining him at length about every aspect of the drive. I said one fuckin' sentence ("boo to drifting on the main road") and you're jumping all over me for it, and saying I'm the one jumping to a ton of conclusions?

And before you accuse me always jumping all over everyone for everything illegal, consider that I did NOT say anything about Boost doing burnouts on an empty country road with good visibility in all directions. That's illegal but not worth commenting on, IMO. Very different than stepping the back out "pretty far for an AWD car" on a "main road."
clarkma5
...wasn't trying to be that aggressive, just challenging what I perceived to be your assumptions and perceptions. Was certainly not expecting an "oh fuck off"...
redls1bird
Once again the difference of opinions is what puts people at odds. Mitlov expressed his unhappiness of that kind of driving, very benignly i might add. I agreed. Why does that have to cause such a problem? Just agree to disagree, and commemorate the bad ass gtr that can step it out.
clarkma5
I just describe things in a very straightforward manner that gets me in trouble. When I read what I wrote the tone is pretty friendly but I can see it being interpreted as being asshole-ish.
Audi Addict
Wow, to clarify. He was driving pretty hard (showing off admittedly) and slid a bit going onto the main road running through Raleigh. Again, it was accidental at 11:00 at night and still incredible.
redls1bird
I personally think there is an animosity between Mit and you. Youve both stepped up to be the better man and not take b.s. jabs at each other, but that doesnt mean that things can be mistakenly out of context.

Being straight foward is not a fault. It can come off as brash sometines, but if thats who you are, thats it. I try to appreciate everyones opinion, and only can hope they do the same for me and others.
clarkma5
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Sep 25 2008, 07:45 PM) *
I personally think there is an animosity between Mit and you. Youve both stepped up to be the better man and not take b.s. jabs at each other, but that doesnt mean that things can be mistakenly out of context.

Honestly my take on it is that I've always held a lot of respect for Mitlov overall. I've chosen, and probably will continue to, pick my nits with what he says and what he thinks, partially because he seems to be on an intellectual level where he can handle that, which has a tendency to be taken worse by him than I expect. Things then escalate and then I partake in all the rigamarole because I've grown frustrated with the argument (instead of being mad at him).

Make sense? I hate to have the board see things as a smouldering hatred between us...for me personally, you can't get much farther from the truth with that line of thinking.

I know I'm getting way off topic here, sorry. For the sake of this thread I maintain that a GT-R owner taking a couple enthusiasts out for a joyride is damned cool first, irresponsible second.
redls1bird
Id be lying if i said i wouldnt giggle like a school girl if i was the passenger, but i still dont like the idea.
Mitlov
And I respect Clarkma5. I don't feel anything remotely like a simmering hatred toward him or anything. He's just some pretty knowledgeable dude on a car forum who I seem to butt heads with more often than average, for some reason or other. And I personally take being told that I just give "lip service" to having a nuanced view of a topic, when I in fact see it in black and white, as pretty hostile. I really don't like somebody else telling me that they know my thought processes better than I do. That's a real pet peeve of mine. Though it's now apparent that's not how Clarkma5 meant it.

Anyway, let's get this thread back on track before Duke posts the Drama Llama. I never meant "boo to drifting on the main road" to be the main point of this thread, I just thought it ought to be said. And I certainly never meant this thread to be Rocky XXVII: Skinny Pale Dudes on the Internet Throw Down.

So...how does the beast sound? Did you like the exhaust note, or was it a little sterile?
Audi Addict
Inside, it was very quiet. Just the sound of the turbos, no diverter valve noise. Only turbo whine and a constant low hum. Outside is much more impressive. You get some turbo noise and a very burbly V6 noise. Like a 350Z with an exhaust, but lower toned. It needed a retune for more boost and exhaust to be perfect.
OHirtenfelder
Man, I would give alot for one o' dem GTRs, or even for a drive in 1. That car was destined to be top dog from day one. Nissan had the Skyline dialed from the first model(especially the GTR models) and this one is no exception. It looks the absolute dogs bollocks, goes like f*ck and if it sounds anything like a 350Z, that can only be a good thing.
I don't know what a guy driving a GTR would want to be looking at, at a Beemer dealership. I guess all he was doing was walking around, pointing his finger at a random assortment of BMWs and saying:" Mine's better than that one....mine's better than that one...."
What a car.
moe
I think there's one of these at my university already, and quite a few rolling around Dubai. They look a lot more impressive in person, and I love how they don't carry any snob value at all.
OHirtenfelder
...I love how they don't carry any snob value at all.

And that's one of the most beautiful things about it. You see someone in an M3 and you just think 'dickhead'. You see someone in a GTR, or any Skyline for that matter, and all you can think is 'cooooooool'.
redls1bird
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Sep 26 2008, 03:05 AM) *
I love how they don't carry any snob value at all.

Thats debatable. The fact taht a car like this can only be purchased by someone whos relatively well off means to me that there are people with money who can affordit and want it because its new and hot. To me, the guy that saves up for years, possibly lives in a place that costs less to help and probably buys one second hand JUST to say he owns one, combats the snob factor. Its too new for that to happen yet, so if i see one ill drool and guess its probably some yuppie that owns it.
OHirtenfelder
^ That is true, but at the end of the day, it's a Nissan. And that's what makes all the difference. Nissan can bringout a $300 000 sports car and, no matter how great a car it is, it will still be a Nissan in the eyes of the car snobs. BMW(I keep refering to BM because here in SA, they are the ultimate in 'look at me I'm in a Beemer' ) can bring out a $70 000 car (ala M3) and it's got huge snob appeal, because it's got the blue and white badge on the front.
Fuck yeah for Nissan!!!!
Aircooled
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Sep 26 2008, 03:42 AM) *
I guess all he was doing was walking around, pointing his finger at a random assortment of BMWs and saying:" Mine's better than that one....mine's better than that one...."

I actually think any BMW save for the X series looks better than a GT-R. And I'd be wiling to bet the pistons in my engine that the GT-R will not best BMW performance wise for too much longer...
Mitlov
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Sep 28 2008, 07:33 PM) *
I actually think any BMW save for the X series looks better than a GT-R. And I'd be wiling to bet the pistons in my engine that the GT-R will not best BMW performance wise for too much longer...

Aye, but would BMW offer that sort of performance in a US$70k car? Remember that the GT-R is priced against a well-equipped M3 coupe.

I'd prefer an M3 over a GT-R for subjective reasons, but if I took a purely cold, analytic, objective approach to it, I'd have to say that the GT-R wipes the floor with the M3 ten ways from Sunday.
Aircooled
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Sep 28 2008, 10:50 PM) *
Aye, but would BMW offer that sort of performance in a US$70k car?

Maybe in the future, but not likely.

QUOTE(Mitlov @ Sep 28 2008, 10:50 PM) *
I'd prefer an M3 over a GT-R for subjective reasons, but if I took a purely cold, analytic, objective approach to it, I'd have to say that the GT-R wipes the floor with the M3 ten ways from Sunday.

Same, numbers are not everything....
nismo
"Demand" in Florida has put them around $107,000 here.
Razor
QUOTE(nismo @ Sep 29 2008, 08:18 PM) *
"Demand" in Florida has put them around $107,000 here.

GT-Rs or M3s?
redls1bird
QUOTE(Razor @ Sep 29 2008, 04:22 PM) *
GT-Rs or M3s?

Im guessing the GT-R.

Id be hard pressed to choose between the two cars, like i could ever be so lucky. I think i would need extensive seat time in both. My mind tells me that I would ultimately end up with the uber Datsun. That kind of performance just calls out to me. It would come down to road manners, and everyday driveability.
clarkma5
I don't even like BMWs that much and I miss the E46 a lot, but for me it's no contest for the M3...honestly, especially as a sedan, it is a smokin' bargain every bit as much as the GT-R is and it's a lot more exciting.
OHirtenfelder
Oh, come on. You want to compare the M3 to the GTR. Mitlov is right, that GTR will clean up good and proper, and the M3 won't stand a chance against it. The GTR's performance benchmark was a 997 911 Turbo ,and you wouldn't compare that with an M3 would you? And the GTR did a faster time around the Green Hell than the Turbo, if that's anything to go by.
And all of that from a Nissan. Not BMW, or Porsche, or Audi, no, NISSAN. And that's what the 'argument' was about.
And that goes back to what I said earlier, with Skylines (GTR's) always being on top and placed into a much higher performance class in comparison to their price.
clarkma5
I'm not saying the GT-R and the M3 can go head-to-head...but the M3 is like $15k cheaper and, thus, a screaming performance bargain in its own right.

I mean, c'mon, I love Audi, but let's face it...an M3 Sedan costs as much as an S5 with a few options, and we all know that's no-contest in terms of outright performance.
moe
^ Here's an eye-opener...I'd take the S5.
clarkma5
...I was just talking about performance, not overall appeal. I'd probably take the S5 too.
OHirtenfelder
^ The M3 does not compete with the S5 though.The S5 competes with the 335i and the M3 competes with the soon to be released RS5.
The S5 cost such a small amount more than the 335i, that it really makes almost no difference. Also, overall, the S5 is a much nicer car to be in and around than the 335i.

I was also just saying how Skylines have always been ahead of the game, by far, nd this one is no excpetion. Yes, an M3 is cheaper, but its slower, it has less power, it doesn't handle as well. It might be bang for buck, but the Nissan is in 911 Turbo country for slightly more than M3 money.

And I'll almost put money on it, that when the RS5 is launched, it will absolutely slaughter the M3 performance wise. That, plus the fact that Audis are just much better cars to be in.
Benny
great sighting.
its great when you meet nice honest owners who offer you rides in your dream cars.

i was outside a bar in Toronto by my buddies place and their was this spotless Alpin white E92 M3 coupe parked outside with tinted windows and black OZ Ultraleggera HLT's and i stood their gawking at it for a good 10 minutes. whilst drooling this douche-y looking guy walks up behind me and says "hey you like my car?" and im thinking "oh no! m3 owner beware!" but he turned out to be a really nice guy he even gave me a good rip in it and let me upshift the SMG from the passenger seat with it set to full harshness.
it was wild, i owe him a drink.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.