Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saab adds XWD to the 9-3 2.0T
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Mitlov
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/12/saab-ad...ricing-goes-up/

The 9-3 2.0T XWD will start at $34,870 for the auto transmission version, and is also available with a manual transmission. That's a healthy chunk of coin above the 9-3 2.0T FWD, but you also get moonroof, heated front seats, and headlight washers (which are options on the FWD model), so effectively it's about $2000 more for just the all-wheel-drive system.

By my math, that's about $5,000 less than a similarly-equipped 328xi sedan, and that's before accounting for the fact that you can negotiate a lot more with a Saab dealer than a BMW dealer. So it's safe to say that this model is not directly competing with BMW, which is a good choice for Saab. It's closest competitor would be the upcoming A3 2.0T Quattro, which is undoubtedly more refined, but significantly smaller and not available with a stick.
moe
$34k will get me...anything else.
Mitlov
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Sep 12 2008, 02:22 PM) *

Moe, I already knew you'd rather acquire gonorrhea than a Saab wink.gif
moe
^ I'd take the SportCombi though Hawt.gif
Mitlov
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Sep 12 2008, 02:26 PM) *
^ I'd take the SportCombi though Hawt.gif

That's also now available in 2.0T XWD, for the record.
clarkma5
The Saab 9-3 has turned into one of the best bargains in its segment over the years IMO.
darinzon
headlight washers...., damn
Razor
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Sep 12 2008, 05:22 PM) *

It'll buy an Evo GSR, an R32, and a couple other things that I'd MUCH rather have.

They're not jets and never will be. No, not even the Turbo X. Not even close.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Razor @ Sep 12 2008, 04:41 PM) *
It'll buy an Evo GSR, an R32, and a couple other things that I'd MUCH rather have.

Evo GSR is apples and oranges. Hard-edged rally car versus premium sporty sedan. R32...I'm not sure I'd get the Saab over an R32 either, though I'm put off by the lack of rear doors and a third pedal in the R32.

Mr. R32-is-my-avatar, VW Auto Group lost the right to complain about asinine marketing when they called a tarted-up Grand Caravan "German engineering" wink.gif
Razor
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Sep 12 2008, 08:03 PM) *
Mr. R32-is-my-avatar, VW Auto Group lost the right to complain about asinine marketing when they called a tarted-up Grand Caravan "German engineering" wink.gif

Don't kid yourself, the R has more jet-power potential than any Saab ever will tongue.gif
Mitlov
QUOTE(Razor @ Sep 12 2008, 05:46 PM) *
Don't kid yourself, the R has more jet-power potential than any Saab ever will tongue.gif

...and don't kid yourself, the next 9-5 will have more "German engineering" than half the cars in VW's lineup biggrin.gif

The New 9-5 was shown at the Saturday Night dinner by Saab Automobile USA President, Steve Shannon at the 2008 Saab Owners Convention.

What we know about the new 9-5 is that it has been designed at the GM Europe Design Center and will be produced at the GM Europe factory in Russellheim, Germany and available near the fourth quarter of 2009.

http://www.saabhistory.com/category/russelheim-germany/
dukenukem
QUOTE(Razor @ Sep 12 2008, 06:41 PM) *
It'll buy an Evo GSR,

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
b0mb3r
That's pretty cool, except I know that their reliability is shit. Also there is a very scant aftermarket for these cars, my friend has a 9-3 aero and his after market mostly DYIs. That should tell you something right there.

Now, VW read this and sell us something of that nature using the vastly superior golf platform.
Aircooled
While I find the Turbo X is very intriguing. If I were to find myself with $35k to spend on a car, I would most likely be rolling in a 135i...
maxima302
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Sep 12 2008, 04:08 PM) *
The Saab 9-3 has turned into one of the best bargains in its segment over the years IMO.

Still a puny engine for $34k if we're talking AWD models though.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(maxima302 @ Sep 12 2008, 06:25 PM) *
Still a puny engine for $34k if we're talking AWD models though.

that really depends on the size of the turbo.. STI was a 2.0 in its original form...
Mitlov
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Sep 12 2008, 06:27 PM) *
That's pretty cool, except I know that their reliability is shit. Also there is a very scant aftermarket for these cars, my friend has a 9-3 aero and his after market mostly DYIs. That should tell you something right there.

Now, VW read this and sell us something of that nature using the vastly superior golf platform.

It's called the 2009 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro. And yes it's available in the US.

By the way, "irony" is a VW fanboy making fun of another brand's reliability history...
b0mb3r
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Sep 12 2008, 08:22 PM) *
It's called the 2009 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro. And yes it's available in the US.

By the way, "irony" is a VW fanboy making fun of another brand's reliability history...

I read something on the 'tex about Golf VI being 2.0T AWD (using TT-S mechanicals); the problem that I have with Audis is the fact that you can get the same shit in VW for a LOT less. Like the A3 great car but its pretty much a MKV GTI or R32 with a better interior!

And believe me VWs have their reliability issues, but they are nowhere as bad as people make them out to be. I just always considered VWs more maintenance intensive. As far as saabs concerned, I have heard stories about their service advisers not driving saabs... just a food for thought.
Mitlov
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Sep 12 2008, 09:44 PM) *
And believe me VWs have their reliability issues, but they are nowhere as bad as people make them out to be. I just always considered VWs more maintenance intensive. As far as saabs concerned, I have heard stories about their service advisers not driving saabs... just a food for thought.

I think that the current 9-3 has either an "average" or "slightly below average" reliability rating from Consumer Reports which is where most modern VWs fall. Yes, there are horrifying anecdotes about Saab reliability in the recent past, but you could say the exact same thing about Volkswagen. Six of one, a half-dozen of the other, if you ask me.

My Volkswagen has been expensive to maintain, but not unreliable. But that's a sample size of one. You'll find plenty of Saab owners on SaabCentral.com who say the same thing.
clarkma5
If you look up VWs in Consumer Reports, Mitlov, the 2004 model year for Golfs and Jettas is far and away the best for MkIVs and ranks average to slightly above average. Just so you know.
maxima302
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Sep 12 2008, 07:46 PM) *
that really depends on the size of the turbo.. STI was a 2.0 in its original form...

Right, and the output of this car should be around that of the STi's... 300 would make a good, competitive number. But we all know that won't happen. 300hp for 32k seems like the goal for that segment, although the IS350 is in my opinion, quite a bit more expensive.
clarkma5
...that's nutty horsepower and it doesn't make sense for this car to have that much.

320 HP out of a 2.0 calls for significant issues with turbo lag and the torque band. The 210 HP Saab 2.0T is still class-competitive with the A4 2.0T and Acura TSX and is still within spitting distance of the 328i and the S40/V50 T5.
Mitlov
QUOTE(maxima302 @ Sep 14 2008, 02:28 AM) *
Right, and the output of this car should be around that of the STi's... 300 would make a good, competitive number. But we all know that won't happen. 300hp for 32k seems like the goal for that segment, although the IS350 is in my opinion, quite a bit more expensive.

Really? Besides the G35, what premium $32k sedans have 300 horsepower? Not BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Cadillac, or Volvo.

And rally cars are an entirely different segment with an entirely different target market than premium sedans. The 9-3 shouldn't be in the same sentence with the EVO and STI.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.