Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! With External Hard Drive
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Easton
ugh - i'm totally buggered with this issue. I got an external hard drive and slammed a 750GB hard drive into it.

I'm moved all my shoot library and files into it, which is great.. and really handy.. BUT

The hard drive goes to sleep after awhile, and it's a REAL problem for Photoshop.

If no programs are using the hard drive when it goes to sleep, then waking it up only takes a few seconds and delays the computer by just a few seconds as well - thats fine.

But when a program is USING file(s) on the external drive, then when it goes to sleep all hell breaks loose.

An example is of course photoshop, i'm editing a PSD file that exists on the external drive.

I edit, edit and edit.

The drive goes to sleep.

When I try to save the edited file, the hard drive wakes up but it hangs my computer for about 10 MINUTES before everything comes back again. The computer just stalls for that long!

I can't use any other programs or do anything during this 10 minute session.

It's REALLY pissing me off - and changing the settings under control panel - power settings of the hard drive dosn't help either!

The hard drive is a Samsung 750GB 32mb cache 7200rpm

The case is a Coolermaster X-Craft Lite SATA, and if it makes any difference... it's silver tongue.gif
Aircooled
I would think it would have to do with the enclosure since it "manages the drive".

Try the external on anouther computer, make sure it does the same thing and rules out any software on your machine.

If you have a spare sata drive laying around you could try that to make sure it isn't something with the drive. Does the activity light work?

I would also makesure that it isn't overheating, my internal satas are about 34C. I read that you had to remove a film or cover for a heatsink when it is installed. You probably did but you never know..

Did the enclosure come with a cd? Sometimes utility programs are included with products like that. There might be an enclosure managment program, maybe...

I did a google search as I am sure you also did and found nothing noteworthy.

I might try to run a song off of the hard drive as the music is read off the HDD every 5 seconds or so, maybe such frequent use might prevent it from going to sleep.

If all fails call tech support.
Seethegrim
Yeah I think its your external hdd enclosure. I have one (not a clue what it is, my uncle threw a whole lot out so I grabbed them).
I have it running all the time, 24/7 with no 'sleeping' or slower spin cycle.

It might be an expensive exercise, but maybe go find another one (and just ask the shop about its 'sleep' mode before you buy it)
Bjorn
The enclosure?

I have an enclosure, and it's a box with a Serial to USB converter...that's it. It controls nothing, its just a case.

Maybe Easton's enclosure is powered or something. but my guess would be software.
Easton
Thanks for the replies guys..

..ugh - guess what

My new hard drive is corrupted! Hardcore - even Spinrite was screaming out that the drive is doomed to hell, as if it was going to self destruct any minute.

I've lost all my data on the drive.

I don't know how people live with external hard drives? Took me less than a week to corrupt my HDD beyond failure - now i've lost all my photo archives on it!

I've put it directly into my box (and out of the external case) and this time directly going to the mainboard via a SATA cable. Windows detects the drive but nothing else, it dosn't recognize and display the drive's label/name anymore, and I can't access it at all. Windows just wants to format the drive.

So data recovery software won't even really see the drive, let alone any files on it. Spinrite was the only drive to see it and it just goes apeshit with red screens when it tries to scan the thing.

I HATE EXTERNAL CASES
moe
Heh, I managed to corrupt my external in the first week I had it too. I decided to live w/o one.
Bjorn
Why do externals corrupt so quickly?

I'm legally computer retarded and have managed to have one a whole year without issue. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that mine is a laptop HDD.
Easton
Laptop HDD have no damn problems at all - I think because they draw their power through the same USB cable in which the data transfer goes through. Whereas 3.5" HDD's have a seperate power source.

2.5" (laptop) HDD's have HUGE advantages of the large 3.5" versions.

I HAVE and use 2.5" HDD's and external cases for them, they are unbeleivably convenient, fit right into your pocket or take a really small amount of space in your laptop bag as backup space in case your laptop fills up on a shoot.

I've never had any problems with the 2.5" HDD's either, but they're not good for archival purposes, because they run slower and more expensive for the equivalent amount of disk space.
Bjorn
Wonder if it also has anything to do with the fact that laptop HDDs are made to be bumped around a bit more?
Aircooled
I've been using a Seagate 200 gig external for about 4 years now without problems. I actually use seagate drive in all of my PCs and I haven't had a problem with one yet.
Flaw
Just because windows does not see it does not mean you can't recover data off of it. Every proper recovery software is unix based (usually on a live) CD requiring a seperate FAT32 partition to recover the data to. If you can hear it spinning up when you power it up, chances are you can get the data off. Even if you decided to go through with a windows "format" (unless you specifically used wiping software). I think I have the ISO of the software I've used, and sent to skr, and a couple of other members.

I think the reason externals tend to get corrupted is because of the environment they're exposed to, and the way they're powered on/off, unlike internals.
Easton
Assuming I get the data off or not, if I do a complete repartition and format - will that at least fix my hard drive to use for another day?

This time i'm sticking it in my fucking case!
Flaw
Yeah, if you use something like BartPE or UBCD which has a couple of wiping options, you may get to see what the external drive is designated as in terms of disk/partition. I remember incorrectly wiping an old 80GB drive because diskpart in cmd listed is as disk 1 partition 1, but on the live CD it was actually disk 0 partition 0. For all of these operations I'm assuming that you are plugging the HDD using SATA, not the external cases usb. You didn't mention whether it does spin up when it's powered up, but if that is the case then most likely the MFT is fucked, hence windows not being able to "see" it. If you do get it wiped, make sure to run a FULL FORMAT before attempting to use it, no quick formats or anything. That way the HDD will block out all sectors that went bad before the wiping, and windows will just not write to them. If you're able to get it formatted and visible in windows, then i'd recommend running hdd utilities to determine the health of the disk, maybe even a full scan to see if the full format missed any bad sectors.
Easton
So i've recovered what I can (which was hardly anything at all) using a program called File Scavenger.

Spinrite looked to be the most promising - but all it did was go ape shit with red screens as soon as it even had a look at the drive!

I deleted the partition, created a new primary partition - then formatted the primary partition. Took hours.

Now running a full surface scan scandisk in windows?

So the bad sectors are permanent - and running scandisk prevents windows from using those areas again? Did I follow the right steps in dealing with this drama?

I'd hate to start putting data back on it, and lose shit again!
redls1bird
I would personally scrap that drive. Does it have a warranty? you said that it was only a week old. I would try to get samsung to help you out with a new drive. You could easily tell them that you are a professional (obviously you are) who entrusted data that makes up your lively hood to a product of theirs and it failed. This has since caused you tons of issues. I would think they would step up to take care of you.
Seethegrim
Before tossing the drive & all the lost data, take it a company that specilises in lost data recovery. They are normally pretty damn good. They often go so far as to transplant the magnetic disc plates into a new drive 'body' & recover that way. There are plenty of ways to go about it. But letting a pro company handle it would probably save on the grey hairs.
Aircooled
^^ $$$$$$ ^^
andywee
it has always been a standard operating procedure for me when i get a new drive.
i'll format it and do a chkdsk /r for surface scan 2x before i start putting data to it.

on top of that, i do a surface scan of all my HDD every 4 months.
on top of my workstation having raid5, my backup server is also raid5.

I guess i am paranoid. maybe cuz i have worked in a bank eons ago. so have been accustomed to such extreme procedures.
moe
Sorry for the bump, but my HD just shit itself. I bought a WD 160gb external a few months back when I got a new laptop. I figured I could back up my files, and cart them over on to the new laptop. So what I did (mistake), is leave all the stuff I deemed unnecessary on it. Most of what I stand to lose is just movies, shows, etc. I figured, whatever, I'll just take advantage of the warranty, and let them deal with it. Then I realized, I have probably 7-years worth of photos on there. Photos of friends, family, etc, that are just irreplaceable. I really want my middle school/high school photos back...there's a lot of sentimental value. Is there anything I can do? The HD just doesn't seem to read, and opening My Computer usually ends in a crash for Windows Explorer.

EDIT: I just found out I have all my high school photos backed up online. Nice. Still, any help would be nice.
Phix
Try plugging in the HD without the enclosure or try putting it in a new enclosure.

If none of those work you might be genuinely fucked.
Seethegrim
Since this topic came up, I did some reading on HDD recovery/utils.
One that actually worked on 'reviving' my drive which would also make my pc crash and hang was a small util called: HDD Regenerator. I think I got it off Hiren's Boot CD. It basically rebuilds a drives sectors so that any corrupt sectors will be marked & overwritten with 'safe' data to not cause crashes. Windows then is able to pick up the drive again as if it's a fresh drive (with all your data still intact). At least thats how it was explained to me from the Tech guy.

It's worth a try...
moe
I downloaded Spinrite, I'll give it a shot tomorrow when I have some time. If not, I'm ok, I just lost some Prom photos (which I may be able to ask my g/f at the time for)...everything else is on FB (albeit at lower res). I'll just give it to WD, and the warranty should cover it.
Phix
Does WD cover data recovery or just HD replacement?
moe
I'll have to double check, the box/warranty is all at my parents' house in Saudi.
Phix
http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp...mp;lang=en#emea

I just skimmed through it, but, yeah it's all there online... plus, they can direct you to numerous data recovery experts in the Mid East, but be warned they tend to charge over $150+ CAD (i've seen as high as $7000 for "commercial HDs")
moe
Thanks man.
Aircooled
I have successfully recovered data from a HDD with a corrupted a boot sector with this
Cyclone
I had an external firewire drive that'd go to sleep on me all the time. All I used it for was music so it wasn't too bad of a problem unless the next tracks weren't cached and it was sleeping. That was annoying... Besides that I never had a problem with it.

I've got a 160gb 2.5" drive i threw in a $10 case. I carry it everywhere with me and it's been dropped and tossed around and still runs great. Same with an 80gb I also have. Maybe you just got a bad drive?

Also do you NEED an external drive? Sounds like the better plan would be to drop the files you need to work on to your desktop, edit them there, copy to the hd when you're done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.