Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New car for my mom
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
Ok, so as a bunch of you know, my mom owns a '94 Camaro. She loves it, as she only drives it to work and back, and occasionally the grocery store. My dad bought it for her since he got a great deal on it. Of course, my dad is never one to pass up a good deal (he's Indian), and has a few good deals on the table right now. My mom won't trade for anything that isn't sporty (she thinks the Camaro is sporty because it's got two doors). So my dad finally showed her a couple cars, that she's actually interested in. My dad's already made offers, but my mom is undecided on what to do. I'm curious as to what you guys think.

Option 1)

Keep the Camaro

Option 2)

Mazda6

Option 3)

Honda Accord Coupe

The mileage is a bit high on the Accord, but it's a lot cheaper than the 6, and besides it's a Honda. The 6 is nice too, but it's missing the alloy wheels, which kind of ruins the deal for me. I know my mom isn't going to pay for a new set of rims. So I'm leaning towards the Accord, though I wouldn't mind anything (I drive my mom's car a lot during the year).
Phix
Option D) See what your mom likes? Oh, sorry, that's such a far fetched idea in the middle east. D:
nismo
Give her the mazda3, and get yourself something else!
moe
QUOTE(Phix @ Aug 20 2008, 08:00 PM) *
Option D) See what your mom likes? Oh, sorry, that's such a far fetched idea in the middle east. D:

My mom likes both the cars, she couldn't decide at the time of posting this thread. She'd rather have either of them over the Camaro. She's decided she likes the 6, so we're taking a look at that first.

QUOTE(nismo @ Aug 20 2008, 10:08 PM) *
Give her the mazda3, and get yourself something else!

Not happening. While she actually does like my 3 quite a bit, she refuses to drive a stick. If that were the case, I'd be looking for a used GTV right about now...
clarkma5
156? I have no idea how that compares to these cars price-wise in your market but it is sexy.
moe
^ Huh? Where'd the 156 come from? My mom lives in Saudi, no Alfas here. Btw, was talking to my dad, there's a high chance of the Accord coupe being a lemon, and the Mazda is most likely immaculate. I think we all know where this is going...
clarkma5
Like I said, I have absolutely no clue what goes on in your market. You said GTV which made me think 156.
OHirtenfelder
Come on! That Mazda 6 (as good a car as it is) is about as sporty as a fat guy with a squash racquet. And that Honda, no.
I don't even like the car, but that Comaro really looks like the "coolest" of the three options. There must be other cars out there. Those 3 are all pretty shitty and lame.
moe
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 21 2008, 04:43 AM) *
Like I said, I have absolutely no clue what goes on in your market. You said GTV which made me think 156.

GTV was for me, I live in Dubai. The options for my mom are the three stated here.

QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Aug 21 2008, 10:20 AM) *
Come on! That Mazda 6 (as good a car as it is) is about as sporty as a fat guy with a squash racquet. And that Honda, no.
I don't even like the car, but that Comaro really looks like the "coolest" of the three options. There must be other cars out there. Those 3 are all pretty shitty and lame.

It's for my mom. She's not exactly an enthusiast. She just wants them to look sporty, which like i've explained, is anything with two doors. We've owned the sedan version of that Accord, and I thought it was a fine car. We've also rented a 6 on several occasions, and liked it a lot too. We've recently thrown a lot of money at the Camaro, and it still needs MORE work. Also, it's a '94 and will continue to need work, and the build quality has finally begun to tick off my parents as well. So they want to get rid of it.
Bjorn
Did they sell the Monero in your neck of the woods...I have a vague thought that it might have been called the Lumina...
moe
^ They do, it was known as the Lumina S coupe in 6-cylinder form, and SS in 8-cylinder. It's gone now, and didn't sell particularly well (Saudi's will never buy a 2-door version of a car that's available in 4-door). It's impossible to find one in any case.
Synesthesia
Unless I'm seeing some sort of optical illusion, the 6 looks to have 4 doors.
moe
^ She likes it regardless, enjoyed the drive too (I managed to get a speeding ticket test driving it...). If all goes well, there'll be a second Mazda in the family tomorrow.
Phix
Did your dad beat your ass Saudi Style for the ticket?
Razor
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Aug 23 2008, 08:13 PM) *
(I managed to get a speeding ticket test driving it...)

laugh.gif That's just like a VW ad they're running right now here.
moe
QUOTE(Phix @ Aug 24 2008, 06:09 AM) *
Did your dad beat your ass Saudi Style for the ticket?

No. It was a rent-a-cop in the community we live in, and they're complete asses anyway. I was only doing 55kmh, in a 50.
Bjorn
I don't know how it works over there...but where I live they also had rent-a-cops giving out tickets in small communities, which is against the law...and all the tickets were torn up. If it's a few bucks, who cares, but if it's gonna give you a headache...then there might be something for you to do.
moe
^ No this community is run by my dad's employer (Saudi Aramco), and it's a closed off community in Saudi Arabia. Thus, it has its own laws, and its own law enforcement. Of course there's no fine for my ticket, but my dad gets three violation points. Getting twelve will suspend some privileges for the employee, and he also doesn't get a safety award this year (boohoo, usually it's a Sony mp3 player or something). His record's been clean throughout the thirty years he's worked for Aramco...until now.
Bjorn
Wow...weird.

That sounds kinda like those places the bond villains live. Complete with their own henchmen and what not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.