Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BMW Z4 v. Honda S2000
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Pages: 1, 2
Dr. Strangelove
OK guys, here is the deal. I am selling the Spec right now and I am looking into what car I am going to get to replace it. I have been thinking Honda S2000 for a while now, but I drove the Z4 today and really like it.

S2000 Pros: Sharper, more focused, more of a driver's car.
S2000 Cons: A little cramped, a little short on power, a little harder to live with as a daily.

Z4 Pros: Power out of the 3.0 is great, higher quality materials, cooler car, faster.
Z4 cons: Missing LSD, stupid things like rain sensitive windshield wipers, watered down.

Right now, I feel like the main problem with the S2K is that I have to rev the engine all the way to have any fun in the car. This wouldn't be a big deal at all on the track but this is a daily, and I am not sure if I want to be shouting to everyone in the vicinity every time I want to drive a little quick. That, and I am a little big for the S2K.

The things that make me love the S2K are missing on the Z4. The little bit of F1 heritage, the LSD, the sharp focused happy feel of the chassis. All of this is gone, but in its place is a really great useable engine, and all of the things that come allog with buying a BMW, everything is just a little bit nicer. I hate all the automatic lights and crap, I just don't want that on a sports car. It's a completely different kind of driving fun.

I am stuck right now, kind of leaning towards the S2K. What would you get in this situation, and most importantly, why?
Bjorn
I get the impression form you that you like carving up the canyons.

If I were you, making this choice, I think if I chose the Z4 I would get a little pang of regret in my stomach every time I saw an S2000 drive by.
Mitlov
I would get the Z4, because I prefer more well-rounded performance cars to hard-edged performance cars, and I enjoy creature comforts. But from what you've written, I think the S2000 would make you happier.
Razor
Don't kid yourself. You don't want to marry the preppy bitch. You want the wild slut. tongue.gif
Mitlov
Any thought of a Solstice GXP/Sky Redline? The Editor of CanadianDriver, who owns an S2000 himself, said that the GXP's handling was just as sharp as his Honda's. On a track, he said the GXP didn't feel any faster than the Honda. Though for day-to-day driving it should be much nicer due to the torque. Of course, the interior is crappy and the trunk is a joke...but it's still worth test-driving IMO.
Bjorn
or a Mazdaspeed Miata...
nismo
S2000. You won't regret it. I have driven the Z4, and own an s2000, nothing compares.
Ozi
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Aug 16 2008, 11:57 PM) *
or a Mazdaspeed Miata...

+1
hexagone
Get the Honda. You'll have both driving euphoria & not have to deal with expensive maintenance/repairs with the s2k.

Mitlov, in regards to your comment about the solstice/sky- Have you ever sat in either? Their interiors are on par with the Chevy Cobalt. Downright appalling.
dukenukem
S2000 all the way. Z4 is for girls.
Mitlov
QUOTE(hexagone @ Aug 16 2008, 10:31 PM) *
Mitlov, in regards to your comment about the solstice/sky- Have you ever sat in either? Their interiors are on par with the Chevy Cobalt. Downright appalling.

I called the interior "crappy." What more did you want me to say? For some people, the performance for the price outweighs a crappy interior. I thought he should at least test-drive it to see for himself what he thought.
moe
The Z4, because I think it's gorgeous (though the S2k is equally good looking), I love BMW's straight six, and the S2k's interior is ugly. Don't get me wrong, I was really sold on the idea of getting an S2k, but that interior killed it. The Z4's is rather nice though (I'm a big fan of modern BMW interiors), and after driving it, I like the more stable, planted feel. The S2k is just a bit too nervous and twitchy for me. Besides, don't a bunch of your friends own S2ks? Looks like you can get a hold of one anytime you feel the itch.
Dr. Strangelove
Wow, I didn't expect to be this torn on my next car. I am sure now that I will love whatever I end up with. I have to look into what the insurance will be like on the bimmer, it might be out of my range.

Whatever I buy, it will have to be at a wholesale auction. So it might just come down to which car I can find a nice example of.
dukenukem
I think a EVO 9 MR would be better than either of them biggrin.gif
moe
^ Yeah go ahead and pretend you're a rally ace in your tarted up econobox.
dukenukem
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Aug 17 2008, 11:50 AM) *
^ Yeah go ahead and pretend you're a rally ace in your tarted up econobox.

Personally, i would prefer a tarded up econobox that can outrun and out handle your supposed sportscar. That said if i had to go for a manicure then i would be required by law to take the BMW.
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Aug 17 2008, 12:14 PM) *
I think a EVO 9 MR would be better than either of them biggrin.gif

Evo X GSR can be had for dirt cheap because there are too many on dealer lots, and it's a million times better as a daily driver than the IX.
Dr. Strangelove
I won't buy a second hand Evo or STi. Not unless I knew the previous owner, and how he drove it. They are great little cars. Definitely a lot more than a 'tarted up econobox'. I have seen way too many of those things have the absolute shit beat out of them and then improperly maintained.
moe
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Aug 17 2008, 08:20 PM) *
Personally, i would prefer a tarded up econobox that can outrun and out handle your supposed sportscar. That said if i had to go for a manicure then i would be required by law to take the BMW.

QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Aug 17 2008, 09:54 PM) *
I won't buy a second hand Evo or STi. Not unless I knew the previous owner, and how he drove it. They are great little cars. Definitely a lot more than a 'tarted up econobox'. I have seen way too many of those things have the absolute shit beat out of them and then improperly maintained.

It was a joke. They're both two of the most awesome cars that have emerged in the last twenty years, and turned the entire sports car industry on its head. That said, I'd still have a purpose built sports car, rallying heritage or not.
dukenukem
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Aug 17 2008, 05:18 PM) *
I'd still have a purpose built sports car, rallying heritage or not.

That still doesn't explain the Z4 ...
Phix
Um, what? S2000 because it has a "little bit of F1 heritage"? What? Where the hell did you read that?

Really, I'd love to see where you found that out. Cause, all I know is the NSX was more of an "Ayrton Senna" connection since he helped develop the handling than something that was derived directly from Honda's F1 operations at the time which was only an engine supplier in F1 than a full on manufacturer.
Aircooled
I think the the ladies would like the Z4 more....
clarkma5
I think for you the S2000 is going to make you happier...you will kick yourself harder when you push the Z4 on a great driving road than you will when you're puttering down the highway in the S2k.

What about Boxsters? Kinda a compromise between the two...more of a proper performance car than the Z4 but comfier than the S2k. The downside is that you have to get an older one with more miles on it for it to cost the same as the BMW/Honda.

I think the Mazdaspeed Miata is a great choice as well.
dukenukem
This might not be what you are looking for but have you considered a C5 Z06 or maybe a C5 vette with Z51 package?
clarkma5
There was no Z51 C5 Corvette.
dukenukem
then make it C6 .. smile.gif
moe
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Aug 18 2008, 06:13 AM) *
That still doesn't explain the Z4 ...

Umm, it's a two-seat open top sports car, long nose, short bonnet, with RWD. It's a sports car in the classic sense, not a compact four door bristling with technology, AWD, ample space, and spoilers hanging off of every corner.
Dr. Strangelove
I don't really consider the Z4 to be a sports car, as much as a grand touring roadster.

I like both the Miata and the Vette, but I don't want to own either of them. At least not this time.
Mitlov
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Aug 18 2008, 03:51 AM) *
Umm, it's a two-seat open top sports car, long nose, short bonnet, with RWD. It's a sports car in the classic sense, not a compact four door bristling with technology, AWD, ample space, and spoilers hanging off of every corner.

You're wasting your breath. I think Duke will ALWAYS make trophy wife jokes about cars from luxury marques, regardless of what the cars bring to the table.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Aug 18 2008, 09:19 AM) *
You're wasting your breath. I think Duke will ALWAYS make trophy wife jokes about cars from luxury marques, regardless of what the cars bring to the table.

I am definitely not off the mark with the Z4. It is hardly a sports car .. like Strangelove said .. maybe a grand tourer but not a "sports car"
nismo
Honestly the S2000 will not disappoint. Every time you drive it, it will put a smile on your face.
infinity
Z3 M Roadster?
moe
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Aug 18 2008, 07:53 PM) *
I am definitely not off the mark with the Z4. It is hardly a sports car .. like Strangelove said .. maybe a grand tourer but not a "sports car"

I had a friend's Z4 for a couple days, and I think it's certainly a proper sports car. Loved the handling, and the engine.
b0mb3r
I like the s2000 a lot more... and the "revised" 2.2L engine has more torque... I bet the insurance on the honda will be more then the BMW though. sad.gif
clarkma5
Sports car is a wide ranging term. I think the Z4 is a sports car. I think the S2000 is a harder sports car.
dukenukem
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 18 2008, 06:40 PM) *
Sports car is a wide ranging term. I think the Z4 is a sports car. I think the S2000 is a harder sports car.

Would that make the accord coupe a very soft sports car ? tongue.gif

In case someone is confused that is a joke.
moe
^ In all seriousness, I think of it as a cut-price GT. A Maserati Gran Turismo minus the sex appeal, and a fraction the cost if you will.
Mitlov
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Aug 19 2008, 02:25 AM) *
^ In all seriousness, I think of it as a cut-price GT. A Maserati Gran Turismo minus the sex appeal, and a fraction the cost if you will.

An Accord coupe is a Maserati Gran Turismo minus EVERYTHING that makes it more exciting than a toaster. Of course, the "fraction of the cost" it's missing is something like 7/8s, so I'm not going to rip on it too hard.
moe
^ By cut price GT, I meant grand tourer, not Gran Turismo.
Mitlov
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Aug 19 2008, 02:30 PM) *
^ By cut price GT, I meant grand tourer, not Gran Turismo.

I was referring to the second sentence: "A Maserati Gran Turismo minus the sex appeal, and a fraction the cost if you will."
moe
A comparison to the Gran Turismo was probably out of line. I just used it because the Maserati perfectly sums up "grand tourer" IMO, and that's a role I think the Accord coupe fills very well at its price point.
Dr. Strangelove
I think of the BMW as more of a roadster than a GT car.

When I drove the car I was surprised at how capable the car was in the turns. One of, if not the most nimble feeling German cars I have ever driven.

I called Geico yesterday and got a shock. The Bimmer with the 3.0 and the same MY costs $50 less to insure every 6 months than my Spec V.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Aug 20 2008, 05:58 AM) *

When I drove the car I was surprised at how capable the car was in the turns. One of, if not the most nimble feeling German cars I have ever driven.

I called Geico yesterday and got a shock. The Bimmer with the 3.0 and the same MY costs $50 less to insure every 6 months than my Spec V.

"Spec V" badge = a large percentage of boy racers = lots of wrecks.

Z4s are generally owned by far more experienced drivers, people who also happen to be far less inclined to really push their car on public roads. Hence, fewer wrecks. Remember, it's not the car's absolute capabilities that insurance companies look at. It's the likelihood and magnitude of claims.
moe
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Aug 20 2008, 03:58 PM) *

Told you so. whistle.gif

QUOTE(Mitlov @ Aug 20 2008, 06:11 PM) *
"Spec V" badge = a large percentage of boy racers = lots of wrecks.

Z4s are generally owned by far more experienced drivers, people who also happen to be far less inclined to really push their car on public roads. Hence, fewer wrecks. Remember, it's not the car's absolute capabilities that insurance companies look at. It's the likelihood and magnitude of claims.

Also it's probably harder to steal a Z4 than a Spec V, of course if I'm wrong, maxima69696, will correct me in a matter of seconds.
dukenukem
have you considered a 350z?

Also insert a comparison between a suburban and RR drop head since everything can be considered a sports car.
A32
I stumbled on this thread a little late. I have looked at those same cars as a replacement for the maxima and thought I would share my opinion. Personally, I think the styling of the Z4 is gorgeous. That alone puts it ahead of s2000 (not that the s2000 is ugly at all). Good Luck
Dr. Strangelove
I did consider the 350, my problem with that car is that all of the driver control in those cars, fell a little ... squishy, when you need them. I'm sure it stems from really soft engine and tranny mounts, but the car just doesn't feel as exciting as I think it should.
Bjorn
So long as your considering coupes, what about a Porsche 968?

They may be a bit hard to find, but they are generally regarded as the best of the breed. Parts are easy to find, and they are pretty easy on the eyes.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Aug 21 2008, 09:13 AM) *
I did consider the 350, my problem with that car is that all of the driver control in those cars, fell a little ... squishy, when you need them. I'm sure it stems from really soft engine and tranny mounts, but the car just doesn't feel as exciting as I think it should.

Odd. I thought the steering on the Z was good and direct albeit a little numb. the engine response and handling for around town driving are nice. The autobox is a giant flaming piece of human feces but thats expected.

Also, after 4 days i still dont know where the trunk release button is :X.gif:
Dr. Strangelove
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Aug 21 2008, 10:31 AM) *
Odd. I thought the steering on the Z was good and direct albeit a little numb. the engine response and handling for around town driving are nice. The autobox is a giant flaming piece of human feces but thats expected.

Also, after 4 days i still dont know where the trunk release button is :X.gif:

To the left of the steering wheel on the dash if I remember right.

And the numbness is exactly what I am talking about. It somehow feels like I am racing in Novacaine when I push that car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.