Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new Testarossa UPDATE
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Bjorn
Sorry for the deception...but she is a red head (translation of testarossa)

my kid was born this Saturday...her name is Scarlett Poppy.

DB9
Just out of curiousity is Poppy a family name? Or does it have nothing to do with family. Because if it was family, i'd be interested to know what nationality that comes from. whistle.gif
Bjorn
Not a family name at all...we just liked it...and felt it went well with Scarlett.
redlinehappiness
Congrats!
clarkma5
Oh snap you've been baby'd!!!! ohdear.gif

Congrats
Dr. Strangelove
Congrats!
Phix
Congratulations.
Ozi
Congrats man! She looks very pretty! I wish you a healthy and a happy experience.
Bjorn
she just left "I sleep four hours at a time land" and is heading toward "you ain't gettin no sleepville". Expect my posts per day to go up. And I'll say sorry now if they don't make a whole lot of sense, there has been a general dumbining on my part since the birth.
Phix
Well, don't worry. When she's in her 20s and is the first successful female rally driver to be signed on for a manufacturer backed team and starts bringing in the money... it'll all be worth it.
Bjorn
I'm having a debate right now with myself as to whether it would be wrong of me to enroll her in carting, since that's my goal and not necessarily hers.

I always cringe when I see parents try to live their dreams through their kids...football dads...hockey dads...ect.
clarkma5
Eh giving a nudge in one direction is fine and dandy, pushing them against their will is wrong. My parents encouraged me to get into soccer as a kid, and I played for five years before I got tired of it and they didn't try too hard to keep me in it (outside of a little "why don't you like it?" sorta stuff, which was pretty tolerable). Same thing with playing in band.

Open as many doors as possible for your child, raise them with enough brains to pick which one(s) are right for them, and let them walk their road in life with love and support.
Phix
Yeah, my (future) kids will hate me for it but, hey, get her enrolled in karting. It's still a great thing to do at a young age... promotes fitness, team effort, learning never to quit, and some nice mechanical skills to get her started. Who knows? Maybe she'll really like it and keep bugging her dad to fuel his hard earned money trying to get her a decent shot at becoming a professional racing driver.
dukenukem
Congratulations!!! Also punch yourself in the face for putting "poppy" in her name. Its sure gonna be a fun ride through school for her tongue.gif
Marien
I wonder if your wife thought you'd gone round the bend when you took a picture of your newborn with a 'Boost is a douche' sign smile.gif

Congrats to you and your wife!
johnny.msyl.25
LOL at the "B00st is a douche". Congrats, a pretty girl you have there.
moe
Congrats man, that's cutest Testarossa I've ever seen.
Bjorn
QUOTE(Marien @ Aug 7 2008, 01:40 AM) *
I wonder if your wife thought you'd gone round the bend when you took a picture of your newborn with a 'Boost is a douche' sign smile.gif

Congrats to you and your wife!

I was trying to hide it from her, but then she saw me reading the thread, and shook her head...
fiber optic
Good thing you had a girl. Going by the boy's name thread it didn't seem like you'd made a decision had it been a boy. Congratulations and best of luck.
DB9
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 6 2008, 11:34 PM) *
Eh giving a nudge in one direction is fine and dandy, pushing them against their will is wrong. My parents encouraged me to get into soccer as a kid, and I played for five years before I got tired of it and they didn't try too hard to keep me in it (outside of a little "why don't you like it?" sorta stuff, which was pretty tolerable). Same thing with playing in band.

Open as many doors as possible for your child, raise them with enough brains to pick which one(s) are right for them, and let them walk their road in life with love and support.

haha my parents were the opposite. They made me take swimming classes and diving classes in elementary school. And i HATED it, i always threw a fit, but thank God they did that. It helped so much in the long run. My mom's strategy was to us (my sisters and i) do a lot of various activities and see which ones suited them best, and even the ones that aren't for them, they still have the skill with them just in case, you know? Through elementary school i went through ice skating lessons, swimming and diving classes, guitar lessons, chess club, soccer for 8 years, club baseball, tennis clinics, basketball for a little while, and golf. heart.gif my parents.
Bjorn
I have different feelings about different things.

Organized sports are in one column, and I think I'll support my kid doing one of them(for both sanity and money sake), while things like Swimming and Music are in another, and I feel are either required (knowing how to swim) or educational (piano). Scarlett is already signed up for infant swimming lessons in December.

It also helps that my wife is a trained piano teacher.
Phix
Easiest way to help her develop into a great racing driver is to threaten to beat her if she doesn't lap the track under a target time.
clarkma5
I just realized how creepy it is that this thread is in User's Rides.
Vadvagool
^
LOL
Bjorn
Ya...the Testarossa joke would only have worked here...but still...
Synesthesia
Haha, congratulations Bjorn.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Aug 6 2008, 10:50 PM) *

Alright, I believe it's your kid
Mitlov
Congratulations! She's adorable.

You will not get a full night's sleep for years. Get used to it. Sorry to be blunt, but it's true.
Bjorn
I'm suffering already...We tried to meet some friends today at the beach. Scarlett was an angel on the way out. But as soon as we got there she was having none of it, and cried till we got home.

She's still punishing us for removing her from her comfortable home. And I'm finally starting to see the effects of sleep deprivation.

Still happy to be a dad...but I need to go to bed now to get rid of this funk...tomorrow's a new day, and I can't wait for it to begin.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Aug 10 2008, 09:21 PM) *
I'm suffering already...We tried to meet some friends today at the beach. Scarlett was an angel on the way out. But as soon as we got there she was having none of it, and cried till we got home.

She's still punishing us for removing her from her comfortable home. And I'm finally starting to see the effects of sleep deprivation.

Still happy to be a dad...but I need to go to bed now to get rid of this funk...tomorrow's a new day, and I can't wait for it to begin.

Caffeine. Git some. The ride is just starting.
Bjorn
oh, the cappuccino machine hasn't had a moments rest in days.

It's not he lack of sleep though that's the worst part (of this wicked thing...it's the crying. Honestly it is the most awful sound in the universe.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Aug 11 2008, 07:43 AM) *
oh, the cappuccino machine hasn't had a moments rest in days.

It's not he lack of sleep though that's the worst part (of this wicked thing...it's the crying. Honestly it is the most awful sound in the universe.

Mini-Mitlov had terrible colic. People talk about their infants "crying." Mini-Mitlov didn't "cry." He screamed bloody murder. He screamed like he was being tortured. He'd do it for hours with no apparent cause whatsoever.

It's unbelievable to me that we can put artificial heart valves into people, that we can do brain surgery, that we can grow a human ear on the back of a mouse, but we still don't know what causes colic.

So my heart goes out to you. The tummy drops helped a bit, and infant massage (get a book) helped a bit, but really we just had to wait it out.
Bjorn
I'm using a technique advocated by a doctor recommended by Oprah (I don't watch the show, I just saw a video of this guy in my prenatal class).

He talks about the five S's, which are...

1) Swaddle (needs to be really tight)
2) Side (put the kid on its side)
3) Sway (sway the kid back and forth, fairly vigorously)
4) Shush (make a loud shushing sound near the kid's ear, louder than they are crying)
5) Suck (put something in their mouths, like your thumb, or a soother)

I thought the guy was crazy, but in my limited experience with Scarlett it works to put her to sleep when nothing else will. You don't need all five the whole time, like you can stop shushing after they stop crying...but if they are really crazy you need all five.

I don't know how well it would work for a full on colic, but the guy claimed it could calm down any baby.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Aug 11 2008, 09:01 AM) *
I'm using a technique advocated by a doctor recommended by Oprah (I don't watch the show, I just saw a video of this guy in my prenatal class).

He talks about the five S's, which are...

1) Swaddle (needs to be really tight)
2) Side (put the kid on its side)
3) Sway (sway the kid back and forth, fairly vigorously)
4) Shush (make a loud shushing sound near the kid's ear, louder than they are crying)
5) Suck (put something in their mouths, like your thumb, or a soother)

I thought the guy was crazy, but in my limited experience with Scarlett it works to put her to sleep when nothing else will. You don't need all five the whole time, like you can stop shushing after they stop crying...but if they are really crazy you need all five.

I don't know how well it would work for a full on colic, but the guy claimed it could calm down any baby.

Anyone who claims that ANYTHING will work for "any baby" is a fraud. That said...

Swaddling, swaying, and shushing all make the baby think they're in the womb (the last approximates the sound of blood rushing around, kind of like when you put a seashell up to your ear). Sucking works for some but not for others.

Be careful with putting the baby on its side. If you're right there watching the kid, great, no problem. But if you're putting the kid down and the kid is unobserved, they need to be on their back. Side sleeping and tummy sleeping has been linked to increased rates of SIDS.
Bjorn
Oh, the side thing...you're holding the kid.

This Dr. Karp claims that 75%-85% of colic is not related to GI stuff, and that the five S's stimulate the baby's calming reflex, which prevented them from freaking out in the womb (you're right about the womb simulating effect of some of these things).

I don't know if there are any numbers, all I know is that it has worked well for me thus far.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Aug 11 2008, 09:57 AM) *
I don't know if there are any numbers, all I know is that it has worked well for me thus far.

Well shit, if it works for you and your baby, who cares about how many other babies it works for. Run with it.
moe
Welcome to BabyStation forums.

"Whoa it comes with auto 5S controls!"

"Awesome, automatic shushing, and it does 0-60 swaddles in 4.5 seconds"
Ozi
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Aug 7 2008, 01:40 PM) *
I have different feelings about different things.

Organized sports are in one column, and I think I'll support my kid doing one of them(for both sanity and money sake), while things like Swimming and Music are in another, and I feel are either required (knowing how to swim) or educational (piano). Scarlett is already signed up for infant swimming lessons in December.

It also helps that my wife is a trained piano teacher.

relax guys... smile.gif She is just born. Enjoy it. My sister just turned 3 and I feel like she was born a week ago. You miss the days. Enjoy it smile.gif
Bjorn
New Kid.

Daisy Wren, born on May 25. Such a contrast to her sister. She's already sleeping through the night occasionally.
Aircooled
access denied
Bjorn
Dangit.

It was posted via Cyclones uploader. I'll have to see what the trouble is.

Hum . . . they are cashed for me now I guess . . . cuz they're showing up.

Does this work?

fiber optic
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jul 4 2011, 09:09 AM) *
Dangit.

Does this work?

Yes and awwwwwwww.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jul 4 2011, 09:09 AM) *
Dangit.

Does this work?

I am getting bandwidth exceed/ file not found error.
fiber optic
Well I saw it and now it is gone
Cyclone
Make sure to enroll her in spelling classes ASAP. Don't want her growing up spelling the way you do tongue.gif

Congrats.

QUOTE(fiber optic @ Jul 4 2011, 03:44 PM) *
Well I saw it and now it is gone

Looks like he deleted it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.