Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Volkswagen MkVI breaks early
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Phix

Volkswagen was planning to unveil the sixth generation of its popular Golf model this week, but the internet strikes again with a preview of the new people's hatch ahead of its official reveal. Information is limited so far and comes primarily from bloggers who don't speak the Queen's English, but from what we can tell the next-generation Golf will be larger than the current model. Indeed, it does appear to be a bit wider and maybe even lower than the current model. Might we even see some hints of the Scirocco in its design, as well? Our source indicates that the range of engines available with the Golf VI will include a 1.4L TSI, 1.8L TFSI and maybe even the 2.0L TFSI, while diesels will include the company's 1.9L and 2.0L TDI motors. A manual, automatic and DSG transmission will also be on the spec sheet. Contrary to some reports, VW of America has said that the new Golf will be sold in the U.S., though not until late next year. That's all we know for now, and it's admittedly basic stuff, so stay tuned this week for the official word from Volkswagen. Until then, scope out the new Golf VI in our gallery below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/03/volkwag...ed-a-bit-early/
clarkma5
3 or 4 years later we might even get it in the US! Hurray for VW of America! rolleyes.gif

Scirocco front-end, not so sure about, guess it'll grow on me. Just like the 'rocco, the back's too plain. Evolutionary interior works. Wish it would stop getting bigger. Where the hell's the Polo, damnit?
dukenukem
Thats just a Scirroco 4 door chop tongue.gif
Mitlov
A C&D review of some recent Audi included, in the positives about the car, "same great Audi interior." In the negatives about the car, it listed "same great Audi interior." That's precisely how I'm starting to feel about VW interiors.

The exterior styling gets an overwhelming "meh" from me.
McKhaos
It's defenately a step up from the MKV (aka the baked potato), but still meh.
Diesel
some more

and wow.. it looks GREAT!
Mitlov

These wheels make baby Jesus cry. Almost Civic Hybrid-esque.
Diesel
ahhh.. much better.

duality
the scirroco just became a little less special.
Dr. Strangelove
I don't care about the sirocco being special. We are going to get this.
Razor
Diesel, can we get GTI and R32 chops? biggrin.gif
b0mb3r
not too bad at all; except the rear looks like mini Tuareg. I am guessing now that Golf is all grown up; we are going to get something smaller? Btw diesel's chop looks pretty sweet smile.gif.
Ozi
The steering wheel stands out but it definitely looks like the scirocco. I want to see what the new gti will look like. Also I want to see a 6speed manual on the new R32
maxima302
"As Expected" first came to my mind. I think its a nice evolution that summs up the Golf appropriately: Just ho-hum... nothing shocking here.
Phix
A bit of an update from Top Gear with some new information...

This is the new VW Golf. The Mark Six.

It's due to be formally unveiled this autumn, and if you're tutting sorrowfully to yourself and muttering, 'It seems like only yesterday the last new Golf turned up,' you're not far wrong.

VW has basically pulled that trick of wandering into a nursing home and winding all the clocks forward a couple of hours by rushing in the MkVI just five years after the MkV - two years earlier than expected.

It's something of a shotgun wedding, in truth: VW is finding the current Golf just too expensive to build, so the MkVI has been made simpler, more straightforward and quicker to assemble than an Ikea lampshade. Much quicker.

To keep costs (and weight) down, it's based on the MkV platform - fine by us - but with a new skin and touchy-feely interior. Get used to that lower, wide front end: it's the new VW 'family face' that'll be rolled out across the range over the next couple of years.

VW boss Martin Winterkorn is so sick of the shiny big shield grille of the Eos, Passat CC and the rest that he's ditched the poor bloke who designed them. Probably saves a couple of quid on chrome trim, too.

Expect engines to follow those in the Audi A3, which means common-rail diesels and lots of lovely little direct-injection turbo petrols.

Better still, we're promised that the new Golf GTI will get more power than the current gen, as well as a big black diffuser and the angry, jutting face from the W12 concept.

It's due to turn up just a couple of months after the MkVI Golf hits production... so just in time for the MkVII, then

Hm.
moe
The MKV actually looks like the new version of this to me...it's um...really, really bland. The Toyota Auris is more exciting looking than this.
Mitlov
To keep costs (and weight) down, it's based on the MkV platform - fine by us - but with a new skin and touchy-feely interior. Get used to that lower, wide front end: it's the new VW 'family face' that'll be rolled out across the range over the next couple of years.

So this isn't actually a NEW generation, just a facelift. They shouldn't call it the MkVI then.
moe
^ Well you could say the same of the Jag XF (which is essentially a sexed-up S-type), or the reverse of that is the new 911. It's got more significant (and more) changes than the 997 did over the 996, yet didn't make the jump to 998.
clarkma5
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Aug 4 2008, 06:34 PM) *
^ Well you could say the same of the Jag XF (which is essentially a sexed-up S-type), or the reverse of that is the new 911. It's got more significant (and more) changes than the 997 did over the 996, yet didn't make the jump to 998.

The Jag XF is most definitely a new model, and not a facelifted S-type. It's got a lot of Jag XK parts, sure, but it's not an S-type. As for the 911, we know it's a facelift. That's Porsche's methodology, at least nowadays...new generations come around 6-8 years apart, with 1 or 2 facelifts along the way. The 997A (as I shall now call it) is more of a mechanical refresh than anything. This "MkVI" is somewhere between your two examples.
tune
Looks way too similar to the Scirocco for me.
moe
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 5 2008, 05:21 AM) *
The Jag XF is most definitely a new model, and not a facelifted S-type. It's got a lot of Jag XK parts, sure, but it's not an S-type. As for the 911, we know it's a facelift. That's Porsche's methodology, at least nowadays...new generations come around 6-8 years apart, with 1 or 2 facelifts along the way. The 997A (as I shall now call it) is more of a mechanical refresh than anything. This "MkVI" is somewhere between your two examples.

My understanding was the S-types platform was changed very little for the XF, especially considering that in it's final years, it was actually a very good car to drive.
clarkma5
The higher resolution pictures I see of the MkVI, the more I like it. Unlike the MkV, it actually has some detailing to it so it's not just a blob. It kinda brings back what I like about the MkIV stylistically.
Diesel
btw. high res widescreen wallpapers. http://www.mediafire.com/?wgunk5ihgd4
moe
No one wants hi-res wallpapers of a bland econobox, Diesel. No one except for Cockma tongue.gif
Mitlov
Lotsa photos: http://www.netcarshow.com/volkswagen/2009-golf/

I like the more aggressive wheel arches than the MkV, and the effective-but-not-overdone character line. And I love the wheels on the five-door:

The interior is a nice evolution of the currently-existing one. Details are changed, overall feel is the same, and materials appear to be high-quality:

Synesthesia
Meh, it looks nice I guess. The interior looks like a pleasant place to be. The wheels on the 3 door are hideous.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Sep 8 2008, 09:57 AM) *
Meh, it looks nice I guess. The interior looks like a pleasant place to be. The wheels on the 3 door are hideous.

Yeah, I didn't think you could do worse than the meat slicers on the MkV GTI...but Volkswagen proved me wrong with those three-door's wheels.
Bjorn
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Aug 5 2008, 05:10 AM) *
My understanding was the S-types platform was changed very little for the XF, especially considering that in it's final years, it was actually a very good car to drive.

I thought the XF was built on a modified XK platform...which could be an S-type platform I guess...
Frederf
I like it. Being from the US this "Scirocco" talk goes right over my head. The Mk5 had slightly more character than this, but not by too much. It does seem a bit early for a new Golf model.
moe
Don't get me wrong, I like it. However, it's just too evolutionary. I feel like this is a mild facelift, as opposed to a whole new generation. Then again, I guess Golf's have always been that way, with the exception of MkIV to MKV...
b0mb3r
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Sep 8 2008, 09:03 AM) *
Yeah, I didn't think you could do worse than the meat slicers on the MkV GTI...but Volkswagen proved me wrong with those three-door's wheels.

Are you referring to the huffs? smile.gif

anyway, if they don't bring scirocco to the US; I can envision myself test driving one of these with an intent to purchase.
moe
Autocar's first drive of the MKVI. Sounds impressive and all, but cars are growing up way too much.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Sep 8 2008, 01:03 PM) *

These? I love those wheels! wink.gif
moe
^ Me too.
Mitlov
Yep, those are the ones. In my totally subjective opinion, I think they're godawful.
Aircooled
Eh, it doesn't look too bad.

And is Phix banned?
darinzon
no
Mitlov
Volkswagen MkVI breaks early

I guess Volkwsagen is still having reliability problems.

*badum* *crash* I'll be here all week, folks! Be sure to tip your waitress!
laurens
Quote:I guess Volkwsagen is still having reliability problems.

More like money problems.
The production costs are to expensive on the Golf V.
That's the story in a Dutch carmag.
Mitlov
QUOTE(laurens @ Sep 12 2008, 12:17 PM) *
Quote:I guess Volkwsagen is still having reliability problems.
More like money problems.
The production costs are to expensive on the Golf V.
That's the story in a Dutch carmag.

It was just a joke, a play on words from the thread title...

Anyway, I've also heard that the MkVI is all about bringing production costs down to make the car more profitable. I guess that even though the bodywork looks like a mid-generation facelift, it's very different under the skin.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Sep 12 2008, 11:22 AM) *
It was just a joke, a play on words from the thread title...

Anyway, I've also heard that the MkVI is all about bringing production costs down to make the car more profitable. I guess that even though the bodywork looks like a mid-generation facelift, it's very different under the skin.

That's the thing... they claim that its basically more streamlined MKV architecture, and arguably MKV is the best handling Golf to date.

Also, you are in a very small camp of people who hate huffs stylistically... they weigh a ton but look great on MKV.
Mitlov
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Sep 12 2008, 01:01 PM) *
Also, you are in a very small camp of people who hate huffs stylistically... they weigh a ton but look great on MKV.

It's okay, I adore the Turbo X's wheels, so you should probably just write me off as having bad taste.

clarkma5
I'm growing more impressed with the VI's interior. I particularly like the new door panels...kinda more of a cockpit-ey ambience, and the whole thing looks more finished than the MkV does.
moe
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Sep 12 2008, 11:22 PM) *

Really? I read it was basically MKIV 1/2. Same platform, just better, and cheaper to manufacture.
Mitlov
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Sep 12 2008, 02:13 PM) *
Really? I read it was basically MKIV 1/2. Same platform, just better, and cheaper to manufacture.

I think I misread...this is what I was thinking of.

This sixth-gen model features an entirely different assembly process that improves efficiency by 20 percent.

But elsewhere in the story, it says:

Underneath, the new 2009 Volkswagen Golf shares the same basic front-wheel-drive platform as its successful predecessor, including MacPherson strut suspension in the front and multilink suspension in the rear, although much has been altered.

Meanwhile the electromechanical steering system is brought over with only detail changes.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=131826
clarkma5
It's definitely not a clean-sheet redesign...probably too thorough to call a facelift of the MkV, though.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Sep 12 2008, 12:13 PM) *
It's okay, I adore the Turbo X's wheels, so you should probably just write me off as having bad taste.

yeah you have a very strange wheel taste.

a more dramatically styled Golf GTI

I wonder what that would be like... because that's what I always liked about the GTI is the fact that it is understated.
Mitlov
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Sep 12 2008, 06:33 PM) *
a more dramatically styled Golf GTI

I wonder what that would be like... because that's what I always liked about the GTI is the fact that it is understated.

Here's a wild guess:

b0mb3r
see thats a scirocco... i would buy that smile.gif
moe
God, the Scirocco is sexy. If it launches in the ME, it's going to be on my short list for my next car. Yes, I could own a VW...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.