Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I buy this 5th Gen Prelude?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
hexagone
Alright, as some of you may know... I tend to buy a lot of random stuff- whether for resale or not if the deal is right. Well, I've stumbled upon this:

I just got back from a test drive, and it's a 98 Honda Prelude type SH. 130K miles, lowered, wheels, air intake, apexi exhaust. It's not clean by any means. It's got cracks in both bumpers, some dents, a patch of rust, a faded spoiler, an okay interior. It had it's head rebuilt 20k miles ago, and at the moment, the CEL and ATTS (electronic DIFF) lights are on in the dash. Also, the right axle is most definitely bent, as the car violently shakes under acceleration. It's also missing the right rear window.

It's also rather low, to the point where a coke can got stuck underneath while driving it. My assumption is that the shocks and springs would have to be replaced too.The handbrake sorta holds, but everything else is in working condition. AC, lights, etc, no loose wiring in the engine bay. And did I mention it is red? It does drive fine, it doesnt smoke, it idles consistently, and the engine is not overheating.

Furthermore, as some are aware- I'm stuck with my piece of shit Camry and this would be a temprorary solution for me out of it. It definitely needs work, but here's the biggest draw for me- Even with repairs of the afforementioned details, the car would cost less than the lowest priced 5th gen (97-01) Prelude on Autotrader within 500 miles. THey're freaking expensive cars.

This guy wants $2500 (negotiable too) for his. That's $3000 less than what KBB has it under 'fair condition', and approximately 4k less than the average priced car on Autotrader or Craigslist. I'm really attracted to this buy, it's just the initial purchase price is so much more appealing than even pondering the notion of getting one for about 6 grand. A 98 Prelude SH- for $2000 or so... even as a project car... a good buy- no?

Here's the original AD:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/car/747389340.html

Here are pictures:

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o455/98PreludeSH/

Phix
No, because:
It's got cracks in both bumpers, some dents, a patch of rust, a faded spoiler, an okay interior. It had it's head rebuilt 20k miles ago, and at the moment, the CEL and ATTS (electronic DIFF) lights are on in the dash. Also, the right axle is most definitely bent, as the car violently shakes under acceleration. It's also missing the right rear window.
Bjorn
After having several project cars over the years, not a fan of buying someone else's project/headache. It will most likely be cheaper for you to spend the $3000 on buying one in good nick and enjoying it.

Edit:

From my experience:
-Rust is a never ending project, and you're better off paying a bit extra and getting a rust free example.
-Windows and glass cost a shocking amount of money to replace.
-Rebuilt stuff rarely lasts as long as you would think.
Razor
Looks like poor condition rather than fair. Is one of those windows duct tape instead of glass? Looks like fail to me.
hexagone
bjorn, the issue is that any 5th gen prelude is absolutely not under $4500- like anywhere. And even those, assumably have a host of their problems. What I'm saying is that even if I threw 2000 into it (which is more than my current repair estimate), I'd still have a car that's as cheap or cheaper than what the bottom of the barrel 5th gen goes for. Plus this is the Type SH, which is relatively rare.
Phix
This is so not worth $2000.
hexagone
Phix, your opinion on cars has been invalidated months ago.
mung35
For $2000 you can maybe fix shaking, CEL, and the ATTS. So it will still look like shit.
Phix
QUOTE(hexagone @ Jul 12 2008, 05:32 PM) *
Phix, your opinion on cars has been invalidated months ago.

How so?

Look what happened to your GTI. You're not thinking with your head again. You bought that with the intention of fixing it up, did you not?

Now here you are seemingly doing the same thing with this Prelude.
Razor
QUOTE(Phix @ Jul 12 2008, 06:22 PM) *
How so?

Look what happened to your GTI. You're not thinking with your head again. You bought that with the intention of fixing it up, did you not?

Now here you are seemingly doing the same thing with this Prelude.

Furthermore, you will not make this one turn a profit.
eraser_rx
after seeing the pictures.....it's not worth the money.....you'll have to fix a lot of small stuffs....
hexagone
QUOTE(mung35 @ Jul 12 2008, 02:19 PM) *
For $2000 you can maybe fix shaking, CEL, and the ATTS. So it will still look like shit.

shaking? That's a new axle- $200
ATTS- Car can be completely without it (ATTS is after all non-exisstent in the normal prelude, so it would be like that)
CEL- probably nothing major, and even so, the remaining $1800 can without a doubt get me a completely new engine...so... yeah
hexagone
Also, carfax completely checks out. Car has not been in an accident (at least according to carfax) and it's only had 2 owners.
Phix
So, I wonder what boring car you'll get stuck with after you're forced to trade this Prelude in "due to other committments and not enough time/money to give it the attention/T.L.C. it deserves"?

A 1996 Corolla DX?
dukenukem
Its a money pit. I guarantee you if you say things will be fixed for $2000 they will end up costing you $5000 before you can claim the car is even remotely reliable.
b0mb3r
Scan the engine for codes. I would also be concerned whether or not the cell came from the "head-rebuild," find out who did it and if the owner has paper work. The car looks neglected, and unless you are willing to spend a month fixing it... I doubt that this is a right car for you.
Synesthesia
I'd much rather have an older 'lude that wasn't all shitted up.
clarkma5
QUOTE(hexagone @ Jul 12 2008, 04:08 PM) *
Also, carfax completely checks out. Car has not been in an accident (at least according to carfax) and it's only had 2 owners.

My friend's Protegé has been in three major accidents, none of which show up on his carfax. One owner. Would seem like a good (albeit high-mileage) buy on the surface, but trust me, it's a piece of shit. I don't trust carfax as far as I can throw it.

Basically you've asked for people's opinions on this car and it's only an on-going discussion because you're not getting the answers you want. The list of problems in this car is far too long and every fix costs more to repair than you think, and that doesn't even get into the shit that's wrong on it that you don't know about yet...

Don't do it.
hexagone
okay, so the car is not good enough to make a decent driver.

BUT-

Can it be flipped? The only immediate problem is the shaking at acceleration, which would be fixed with a new axle (installed in the garage at home, of course). So... sell it for a few hundred more? Yes?
Phix
Wait, did you already buy it?
hexagone
No, the dude has to buy a new car and then can sell the Prelude to me. I'm in the clear for now.
clarkma5
QUOTE(hexagone @ Jul 13 2008, 08:54 PM) *
okay, so the car is not good enough to make a decent driver.

BUT-

Can it be flipped? The only immediate problem is the shaking at acceleration, which would be fixed with a new axle (installed in the garage at home, of course). So... sell it for a few hundred more? Yes?

Don't depend on someone being dumber than you. Just walk away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.