Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bangled: How do they rank?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
Alright so the new 7-series had me thinking...just what do people think of the current BMW lineup's looks, model by model? I figured we could arrange some sort of aggregate ranking. So here's what I came up with:

Everyone in this thread will give a points score to each individual BMW model line on a scale of zero to ten (zero is ugmo, ten is gorgeous). Here's the catch: you can give no more than 45 points (average 5 points over 9 categories, see?) in total across all 9 categories, so you have to be careful about which cars you give which scores to. Then after say, a week, we'll go through and add up the points for each model line and see which current BMW model line we think is the most attractive. Make sense? The 9 categories are below with representative pictures. I know there are M cars and sport versions and coupes and convertibles and sedans and wagons that make this all complicated, but just deal with that by ignoring what you want to ignore and cherry picking what you like or hate. It's all about gut reactions.

1-series

3-series

5-series

6-series

7-series

X3

X5

X6

Z4

So I'll go first, this is about the form you guys should follow:

1-series: 7
3-series: 4
5-series: 0
6-series: 6
7-series: 0
X3: 4
X5: 7
X6: 8
Z4: 9

Total: 45

Make sense?
Razor
1-Series: 4
3-Series: 1
5-Series: 7
6-Series: 5
7-Series: 4
X3: 3
X5: 5
X6: 7
moe
1-series: 5
3-series: 4
5-series: 6
7-series: 7
X3: 0
X6: 1

I would've rated most of the cars higher if i weren't limited to 45, particularly the 7-series. Also worth noting, that if they weren't limited by series, and every different variant was listed separately they'd be rated very differently. Basically the only Bangled cars I really dislike are the X3 and X6.
DB9
1-series: 2
3-series: 7 (it's starting to grow on me a little...)
5-series: 0
6-series: 9
7-series: 3
X3: 3
X5: 5
X6: 7
darinzon
1-series: 4
3-series: 8
5-series: 9
6-series: 5
X3: 1
X5: 0
X6: 2
clarkma5
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Jul 3 2008, 02:26 PM) *
I would've rated most of the cars higher if i weren't limited to 45, particularly the 7-series. Also worth noting, that if they weren't limited by series, and every different variant was listed separately they'd be rated very differently. Basically the only banged cars I really dislike are the X3 and X6.

Yeah I understand, but the point of the 45 point limit is to normalize the scores. Just like how a curved exam will have a C average in a classroom, the average grade for cars should be around 5 under this system.

And I also know that there are lots of variants...for instance, I think the Z4 M Coupe is one of the very prettiest cars you can buy for 5 digits, whereas the base Roadster I'm not as fond of. I just sorta averaged them out in my head, I guess. If we did it model by model it would be insane.
Mitlov
I don't think I could vote because I'd want to give the 3-Series coupe the single biggest chunk of points, but I wouldn't want the 3-Series sedan to get any. The two look night-and-day to me. Those two are probably my most and least favorite Bangle designs.

EDIT: Aw fuck it, here goes. The 3-series coupe and the 3-series sedan cancel each other out, resulting in a 5.

1-series: 7.
3-Series: 5.
5-Series: 9.
6-Series: 2.
7-Series: 3.
X3: 3.
X5: 6.
X6: 6.
Z4: 4.
mung35
1-series: 6
5-series: 4
6-series: 3
X3: 5
X6: 3
infinity
1 - 7
3 - 9
5 - 7
6 - 5
7 - 3
X3 - 2
X5 - 5
X6 - 0
Z4 - 7
4wheelfreak
5-series: 10
6-series: 0
7-series: 2
X5: 6
X6: 0
Z4: 7

I love the M5/5 series sport package- it's the best looking sedan out there.
Synesthesia
1 - 7
3 - 10
5 - 6
6 - 6
7 - 2
X3 - 2
X5 - 1
X6 - 1
Z4 - 10

From the gut...
Megadeus
3-series: 7
5-series: 8
6-series: 3
X6: 1
Bjorn
5-series: 9
6-series: 7
7-series: 7
X3: 0
X5: 0
X6: 0
Ozi
Like Mitlov said, my favorite model is the 3 series but coupe versions .

3-series: 7
5-series: 4
X6: 2
Z4: 7
Bjorn
I don't really understand the hating on the 3 sedan, I think it looks pretty good. Although my wife agrees with you guys...her dream car is an E46 Sedan.
moe
I just feel like the current sedan could've looked much, much better. It's like all the criticism of Bangle's styling got BMW scared, and were too cautious. It looks amazing in M3 form, but other than that it really does nothing for me. Same goes for the wagon. The Coupe (and the convertible since it's basically the same) looks amazingly slick on the other hand.
Bjorn
I agree with the neutered bangle lines being somewhat disappointing compared to the 5, 6 and old 7. You're right, it could have looked much more forward.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jul 4 2008, 11:53 AM) *
I don't really understand the hating on the 3 sedan, I think it looks pretty good. Although my wife agrees with you guys...her dream car is an E46 Sedan.

My wife thinks that the E90 looks like a hockey player who got punched in the nose. I think the bodywork looks tacked on. If the E92 looks like someone's naked form, the E90 looks like that same person wearing GWAR-style giant styrofoam armor.
Synesthesia
^While I'll agree the 2dr looks better, you talk like the two are completely different cars. They don't look that different.
moe
They really do. The saloon/wagon have zero presence.
Bjorn
While I agree with you about the fact that they aren't as bangleized as the others, I gotta say that I think they have no issue with presence. I would put them in the same league as their competitors, save the CTS, which is very standout-ish (which might mean it could age poorly...).

This may be down to the fact that I live in a town where seeing a 3 series is a bit of an event.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Jul 7 2008, 06:31 AM) *
^While I'll agree the 2dr looks better, you talk like the two are completely different cars. They don't look that different.

They do to me. They look as different as the 5-Series and 6-Series to me.
infinity
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jul 7 2008, 02:37 PM) *
bangleized
Bangled* tongue_crossed-eyes.gif
moe
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jul 7 2008, 09:37 PM) *
While I agree with you about the fact that they aren't as bangleized as the others, I gotta say that I think they have no issue with presence. I would put them in the same league as their competitors, save the CTS, which is very standout-ish (which might mean it could age poorly...).

This may be down to the fact that I live in a town where seeing a 3 series is a bit of an event.

One of my best friends is a die-hard BMW fan. He also happens to own an '05 325 sedan in Montreal. Even he'll agree that his car was pretty anonymous. He's since added an imitation AC Schnitzer lip, rear apron, and 19" M5-replica wheels to remedy the problem.

The CTS clearly stands out a lot more than anything else in the class, but I also think the G35, IS, and C-class (only with the sports package), make themselves noticed quite well. The A4, 9-3, and 3-series all seem pretty boring to me. Of course, add a pair of decently sized rims, lower them a bit, and it makes quite a difference. That could be said of any car though.
Mitlov
By "stand out" do you mean rare and remarkable, or in-your-face? Because in my experience and opinion, the Lexus IS is the former but not the latter, whereas the 3-Series is the latter but not the former. The CTS is both, and the C-Class is neither (good looking, IMO, but in a very subtle way).
clarkma5
Alright since nobody else is voting may as well coagulate the results:

Out of 577 points given by 13 voters (12 people used their full 45 points, one used 38), here's how the cars rank from top to bottom:

Z4: 107 points
3-series: 86 points
5-series: 79 points
1-series: 73 points
6-series: 63 points
X5: 61 points
X6: 38 points
7-series & X3: 35 points

Look! A graph!

Phix
You have far too much time.
clarkma5
that took like 3 minutes, really. Was hoping it would take longer because I was really bored.
Bjorn
You could do the same poll for Audi, Merc, VW etc and then try to find some correlation with the data...or you could do some stats on the data you do have.
infinity
Why don't we do a similar thing to DSCOTY except the winner will be the best looking car overall. Then we can find out even more interesting info, like what the least attractive cars are. Yes?
moe
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jul 8 2008, 05:31 PM) *
You could do the same poll for Audi, Merc, VW etc and then try to find some correlation with the data...or you could do some stats on the data you do have.

Audis all look the same anyway...

QUOTE(infinity935 @ Jul 8 2008, 11:03 PM) *
Why don't we do a similar thing to DSCOTY except the winner will be the best looking car overall. Then we can find out even more interesting info, like what the least attractive cars are. Yes?

I took on the responsibility of that a couple years ago. I failed miserably. I may have gone about it all wrong though, I should've just taken the cars/categories that Clarkma made, and had people vote on those. I'll try again for the next DSCOTY.
BadBoi
Well I saw this too late to participate in, but I was disappointed to find that the 3-series came in second. The coupe is gorgeous but I find the sedan so ugly that I wouldn't drive one if it was given to me for free just because that would be an insult to the previous-gen 3.
infinity
I was a bit surprised it ranked behind the Z4 to be honest as well. The Z4 is a pretty slick looking car, but I think the 3 out does it personally. Oh well.
Mitlov
I would have given the 3-Series several more points had the facelift been released when this poll was done.

On the other hand, I would have given the 3-Series a 10 out of 10 if all 3-Series sedans looked like the E90 M3 (save for the power bulge and extra vents):

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.