Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GM in acute danger
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Uwe
GM could face bankruptcy says the investment bank Merril Lynch. GM has to raise 15 billion USD within the next two years - and this during the worst credit crisis since years - otherwise they may go bust.

Disturbing thought, isn't it?
Mitlov
That would suck. GM has so many promising models right now--from the CTS to the Astra to the Corvette to the G8 to the Outlook to the Malibu--that I would hate to see them go under.
Synesthesia
Would they really "go under"? Wouldn't they just be bought up by someone in India?
Phix
Wouldn't that... annihilate the U.S. economy?
Razor
Someone buy up Saturn, Pontiac, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and maybe Saab too. The rest can die with the company. Finally, HUMMER will get fucked up like it's deserved to for a long time.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Razor @ Jul 2 2008, 12:28 PM) *
Someone buy up Saturn, Pontiac, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and maybe Saab too. The rest can die with the company.

Corvette? Silverado?
Razor
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Jul 2 2008, 03:34 PM) *
Corvette? Silverado?

I considered the Corvette part of Chevy. And isn't the Silverado just a model of truck?
Mitlov
QUOTE(Razor @ Jul 2 2008, 12:45 PM) *
I considered the Corvette part of Chevy. And isn't the Silverado just a model of truck?

Wow, I missed Chevy on your list of brands to keep. My bad. Ignore the previous comment. I was just saying that Chevrolet was worth keeping around because of its sports cars and work trucks. The new Malibu's pretty nice, too.

Basically, you're saying they should deep-six Buick, GMC, and Hummer? Can't argue with that. Buick could be rendered obsolete by a nicer-quality Impala. GMC is completely repetitive of Chevy. Hummer just doesn't make a lick of sense in today's world.

Thing is, though, you're saying they should just save those brands and let the rest die. Those brands are the vast majority of GM! I do think that a partnership with an Indian or Chinese company might be worth it, though. GM gets a big influx of capital; the other company gets a leg up into the US market (which is still very suspicious of third-world brand names) and some expertise with passing US crash-test regulations.
Razor
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Jul 2 2008, 03:49 PM) *
Wow, I missed Chevy on your list of brands to keep. My bad. Ignore the previous comment. I was just saying that Chevrolet was worth keeping around because of its sports cars and work trucks. The new Malibu's pretty nice, too.

Basically, you're saying they should deep-six Buick, GMC, and Hummer? Can't argue with that. Buick could be rendered obsolete by a nicer-quality Impala. GMC is completely repetitive of Chevy. Hummer just doesn't make a lick of sense in today's world.

Thing is, though, you're saying they should just save those brands and let the rest die. Those brands are the vast majority of GM! I do think that a partnership with an Indian or Chinese company might be worth it, though. GM gets a big influx of capital; the other company gets a leg up into the US market (which is still very suspicious of third-world brand names) and some expertise with passing US crash-test regulations.

Yeah. Basically, though, if I could choose two makers to get bought up and continue to thrive on, it would be Chevrolet and Cadillac. Pontiac takes a close third. But from an economic standpoint, the two major branches this could take are the one you mentioned (foreign, most likely Chinese or Indian buy-up) and the Chrysler situation (being bought by a private equity firm).

I wouldn't mind seeing either if executed correctly, and foreign purchase of certain companies has already been proven to be at least somewhat successful (Jaguar - Tata).
dukenukem
QUOTE(Razor @ Jul 2 2008, 01:28 PM) *
Someone buy up Saturn, Pontiac, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and maybe Saab too.

Theres no point in keeping Pontiac if there is no Holden.
Mitlov
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Jul 2 2008, 02:40 PM) *
Theres no point in keeping Pontiac if there is no Holden.

Same with Saturn and Opel, but I thought Razor was just talking about which North American brands he'd keep, not which world brands.
skr
I thought Ford owned Hummer.

edit: nope, I'm wrong.
redls1bird
Chrysler went bankrupt what, 20 years ago? Granted they arent in great shape now, but still. Gm wont just disapear. They would sell some stocks/ holdings and possibly other companies that they own to stay afloat.

This is the turning point in the automotive industry. All the companies are goign to have to start making radical changes. If gm can trim enough fat and start to churn out the kinda cars the government and public are calling for they will be here for well into the next century.
moe
If GM went under, I'm seeing go down something like this.

Chevy - way too many good products, and a pretty strong mainstream brand to lose. Somebody, would probably pick it up, or try...like Cerebrus.
Buick - I'm seeing them go to a Chinese buyer. It seems to be the only place in the world where they have pretty strong brand value.
Pontiac - sorry folks, but I really don't see it surviving despite having some pretty cool vehicles.
GMC - it'll go down, and be forgotten shortly after.
Vauxhall/Opel - I see them being lumped into one brand (Vauxhall would probably be dropped), and someone, perhaps Indian since they have exposure to to the brand, would pick them up.
Hummer - Mahindra?
Saab - Considering their weak product line up, lack of image against other premium players, and them being unable to turn a profit in recent years, I think their days would be numbered.
Holden - I'm pretty sure they could exist on their own. If not, I can see someone who wanted a foothold in the Aussie market acquire them.
Saturn - Yeah, they probably wouldn't make it either considering they only became fairly credible recently.
Isuzu - Does GM still have an interest in the brand?
Mitlov
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Jul 2 2008, 04:48 PM) *
This is the turning point in the automotive industry. All the companies are goign to have to start making radical changes. If gm can trim enough fat and start to churn out the kinda cars the government and public are calling for they will be here for well into the next century.

GM already IS churning out the sort of vehicles people want. People just haven't noticed yet. Astra, Malibu, G8, new Vue, Outlook, Corvette, CTS...name a genre where GM doesn't currently have a solid player. Sure, they ALSO have some lame cars left over from their bad years (Aveo, G6, LaCrosse, Equinox), but for each of these bad models, they have a good model in the very same segment.
duality
the problem with gm is that it has way tooo many brands. i didnt realize they had so many under their umbrella until i saw moe's post. get rid of the lossful ones, utilize a 1-2 strategy..keep 1 or 2 that make the most money. also their product offer is way too cluttered, with overlaps within brands. i assume that they use the same basis for quite a lot of cars..vauxhall/holden, saturn/saab etc. stop this, and design for that product and specialize in that, cross breeding decreases quality and you're forcing execution.

and whats this sudden indian theme? just coz of the tata buy of LR/jag? or has anyone shown interest?
Mitlov
QUOTE(duality @ Jul 2 2008, 11:52 PM) *
and whats this sudden indian theme? just coz of the tata buy of LR/Aston? or has anyone shown interest?

Mahindra wants Hummer if I recall correctly. I think they also made overtures at Jeep. Clearly, Indians love off-roading (Tata only bought Jaguar because it was a package deal with Land Rover. For the record, Aston was bought by Louis Vuitton, not Tata).
moe
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Jul 3 2008, 10:13 AM) *
Mahindra wants Hummer if I recall correctly. I think they also made overtures at Jeep. Clearly, Indians love off-roading (Tata only bought Jaguar because it was a package deal with Land Rover. For the record, Aston was bought by Louis Vuitton, not Tata).

Mahindra does want Hummer, and yeah they did make overtures at Jeep, because Mahindra is an off-road based company churning out mainly off-road biased SUVs/trucks.

The Tata only wanting LR was a rumor, nothing more. They genuinely wanted Jaguar as part of the deal. More of Autoblog's made-up nonsense. Furthermore, LVMH did make an offer for Aston, but they didn't get it. It was bought buy a group of mostly Arab investors, backed by David Richards at Prodrive.

And I agree that GM has too many brands. I realized that I'd forgotten they also have Daewoo. I say they sell Buick, GMC, Hummer, Isuzu, Saturn, Pontiac, and Saab. Having Cadillac, Chevy, Vauxhall/Opel, Holden, and Daewoo is quite formidable. They have pretty much every market covered, and there's plenty of opportunities for intelligent platform sharing/badge engineering. I hate to see Saab go without being put back in shape, and Saturn and Pontiac have some truly great products out, but it's not like either fill a roll that Chevy couldn't take up on its own. For example, the G8 is sold as a Chevy Lumina in the ME, why not everywhere else?
duality
i realized that mitlov, hence the edit right afterwards. also, moe you're very right...it was prodrive that got aston. i memba there were threads on speculation if prodrive/aston f1 team.

i also feel that hummer is a very weak brand, and it really wouldn't sell that well in india, or anywhere else. i might be wrong, but with the fuel crisis, hummer isnt exactly the right choice for the upcoming era. its probably the weakest of all, and should be said goodbye too. i can see jeep fairing well in india atleast.

another thing that astounds me, atleast being here in india, is the high pricing for international cars. german saloons are atleast twice the price as you'd find in europe. land rover would be considered as a very high end product, because the average person wouldn't buy it. they'd much rather opt for mahindra.

i haven't heard of daewoo in quite a while..its lost its presence in india...where does it shine these days?
moe
I think Daewoo is Korea only nowadays, but their presence is felt worldwide. Their products are offered by at least one GM brand in every country. In the ME, we get the Chevrolet Epica, Optra, Aveo, and Spark...all of which are Daewoo products. In the US there's the Chevrolet Aveo, Suzuki Forenza, Reno, and Verona. In other parts of the world there's the Lacetti (which is basically an Optra), the Matiz (the Spark), and the Tacuma. Daewoo also sells its own versions of the Saturn Vue (also the GMC Terrain, Chevy Captiva, Vauxhall/Opel Antara) and the Solstice/Sky/Opel GT.
DB9
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Jul 3 2008, 07:28 AM) *
Mahindra does want Hummer, and yeah they did make overtures at Jeep, because Mahindra is an off-road based company churning out mainly off-road biased SUVs/trucks.

The Tata only wanting LR was a rumor, nothing more. They genuinely wanted Jaguar as part of the deal. More of Autoblog's made-up nonsense. Furthermore, LVMH did make an offer for Aston, but they didn't get it. It was bought buy a group of mostly Arab investors, backed by David Richards at Prodrive.

And I agree that GM has too many brands. I realized that I'd forgotten they also have Daewoo. I say they sell Buick, GMC, Hummer, Isuzu, Saturn, Pontiac, and Saab. Having Cadillac, Chevy, Vauxhall/Opel, Holden, and Daewoo is quite formidable. They have pretty much every market covered, and there's plenty of opportunities for intelligent platform sharing/badge engineering. I hate to see Saab go without being put back in shape, and Saturn and Pontiac have some truly great products out, but it's not like either fill a roll that Chevy couldn't take up on its own. For example, the G8 is sold as a Chevy Lumina in the ME, why not everywhere else?

well then north america would only have Cadillac and Chevy unless GM moved those other brands here as well. Those are a lot of car models we'd be missing.
moe
Chevy can take up the slack of all the other brands. They already have a version of pretty much everything GMC makes, and Buick really doesn't offer much. The G8 and Saturn Vue are already sold in other markets as the Chevy Lumina and Captiva. They could be rebadged and sold that way, the Lumina would replace the Impala as a full-size, RWD sedan, and the Captiva would replace the aeging Equinox. The Solstice would make a nice little addition to the range as the 'Vettes little brother or perhaps it could move upmarket and be a Z4 rival from Cadillac, and the Saturn Astra could go ahead and replace the Cobalt. The Malibu is a better G6/Aura, so no big loss there. Did I miss anything worth saving in the GM range?

I realize, it's not that simple, and I'd hate to see all those brands go, but when it comes crunch time, the best brands to keep in N. America are Chevy and Cadillac.

EDIT: Forgot the Pontiac Vibe, but it's a joint-venture anyway.
Mitlov
But would consolidating GM's half-dozen brands to two different brands really help sales or profits? Or would it just be a shell game? Would Toyota be more profitable if it dropped the Scion badge and sold those cars as Toyotas? Would Hyundai/Kia be more profitable if they were all sold as Hyundais? I doubt it.
moe
In retrospect, I wasn't really thinking about how to make GM profitable, but rather how to simplify the brand-structure to a bare-bones minimum. My bad.

EDIT: Somewhat unrelated question, but when's the Solstice coupe coming out again?
Uwe
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Jul 4 2008, 12:04 AM) *
But would consolidating GM's half-dozen brands to two different brands really help sales or profits? Or would it just be a shell game? Would Toyota be more profitable if it dropped the Scion badge and sold those cars as Toyotas? Would Hyundai/Kia be more profitable if they were all sold as Hyundais? I doubt it.

With more brands you can sell more cars because each brand has their own circle of buyers and you are not forced for instance to dilute a luxury brand with a cheapo-cheapo car for the mass market. But if you don't have a sensible platform strategy or sales organization strategy this will cost you more money than you will earn by your different marques.

TBH I don't have a clue how well integrated the different brands are into the GM holding. However GM is losing money, VW with their number of brands is not*, so GM must be doing something wrong.

(*even if they are not especially profitable)
Mitlov
QUOTE(Uwe @ Jul 3 2008, 11:11 PM) *
TBH I don't have a clue how well integrated the different brands are into the GM holding. However GM is losing money, VW with their number of brands is not*, so GM must be doing something wrong.

(*even if they are not especially profitable)

I don't think it's that simple. There are a LOT more variables at play than how well platform-sharing is integrated between subsidiaries. And actually, GM uses a ton of platform-sharing. They'll generally have one or maybe two platforms for each vehicle category (C-segment car, small crossover, half-ton pickup, etc), even if they have a half-dozen different brands. For example, the Pontiac G6, Chevy Malibu, Saturn Aura, Opel Vectra, Saab 9-3, and probably some others (Buick LaCrosse?) all are based on one platform, even though the finished products have some significant differences.
Uwe
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Jul 4 2008, 08:13 AM) *
I don't think it's that simple. There are a LOT more variables at play than how well platform-sharing is integrated between subsidiaries.

Of course there are. I only wanted to compare selling all cars under one single brand and selling them under different brands for different circles of buyers. If a car of a certain type is just wrong in a market it won't be profitable no matter if it is sold under the brand GM or under the brand ChevyPontiacBuick, no question. But this is another wide field of discussion so I intentionally left it out.
moe
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Jul 4 2008, 09:13 AM) *
I don't think it's that simple. There are a LOT more variables at play than how well platform-sharing is integrated between subsidiaries. And actually, GM uses a ton of platform-sharing. They'll generally have one or maybe two platforms for each vehicle category (C-segment car, small crossover, half-ton pickup, etc), even if they have a half-dozen different brands. For example, the Pontiac G6, Chevy Malibu, Saturn Aura, Opel Vectra, Saab 9-3, and probably some others (Buick LaCrosse?) all are based on one platform, even though the finished products have some significant differences.

There's plenty of good platform sharing at GM, you just pointed out one of the best examples. But four Lambda SUVs? In a climate that increasingly that's moving away from SUVs, never mind that three of them, the Outlook, Acadia, and Traverse, are largely the same...it just doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do. I remember reading that it costs more to market four as opposed to something with just a mainstream and a luxury variant (Edge/MKX).

Also, why does GMC exist? They don't seem to make anything that Chevrolet doesn't already offer. Possibly why they're considering axing it.
Bjorn
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Jul 3 2008, 05:09 PM) *
In retrospect, I wasn't really thinking about how to make GM profitable, but rather how to simplify the brand-structure to a bare-bones minimum. My bad.

EDIT: Somewhat unrelated question, but when's the Solstice coupe coming out again?

I think I read late 2008 as a 2009.
Mitlov
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Jul 4 2008, 03:39 AM) *
There's plenty of good platform sharing at GM, you just pointed out one of the best examples. But four Lambda SUVs? In a climate that increasingly that's moving away from SUVs, never mind that three of them, the Outlook, Acadia, and Traverse, are largely the same...it just doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do. I remember reading that it costs more to market four as opposed to something with just a mainstream and a luxury variant (Edge/MKX).

You say in a climate moving away from SUVs...in middle America, people are moving to large crossovers, not away from them. Medford is a prime example of "middle America" buyers. For years and years, if you had a kid, you bought a Tahoe. That was a rule or something. Maybe they hand out Tahoes at hospitals; maybe it's a Medford City Ordinance. I don't know. But hot mamas driving their boys to football practice (American football, not soccer, in this neck of the woods) drive Tahoes with custom wheels. They certainly don't drive minivans, which are only popular here with Bible-study groups and the morbidly obese.

So now you've got a ton of families who are used to the interior space, the look, and the driving feel of a Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon, but tired of its fuel economy. For these people, a Traverse/Outlook/Acadia is a miracle machine. Even roomier inside, and far more fuel-efficient (the Acadia gets the same fuel economy as a Sienna), with the same look and similar feel to what they're used to. The Lambda crossovers are selling like wildfire here. You can't turn around without seeing one.

So while the Lambda SUVs might seem like an anachronism in the Bay Area or NYC or somewhere like that, they're the new big thing here in "middle America" (the culture, not the location). I agree that one luxury Lambda and three non-luxury Lambdas seems excessive, but I suspect that's just internal politics at GM. Everyone wants a piece of the pie.

Also, why does GMC exist? They don't seem to make anything that Chevrolet doesn't already offer. Possibly why they're considering axing it.

No clue. Partly image, maybe? I tend to think of a Chevy Silverado as a rancher's truck, and a GMC Sierra as a construction worker's truck. Still, I think GMC is the least-unique GM brand.
moe
Yeah, the Acadia, the only Lambda we get here is doing surprisingly well. I'm not saying that the Lambdas don't make sense, though my message seems a bit muddled, but rather that I think they would've been fine with just the Traverse and the Enclave.
Mitlov
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Jul 4 2008, 10:36 AM) *
Yeah, the Acadia, the only Lambda we get here is doing surprisingly well. I'm not saying that the Lambdas don't make sense, though my message seems a bit muddled, but rather that I think they would've been fine with just the Traverse and the Enclave.

So for the fun of it, if you were to boil GM down to two model lines, what would it be? Here's my plan. And whenever I mention an Opel platform, I mean Opel blueprints but at least for the US market, made in the USA. Building mass-market cars in Europe and importing them to the US is economic suicide nowadays. I think the following would just about do it, at least for the US market.

CHEVROLET:

CARS:

* Yet-to-be-named subcompact, based on the Opel Corsa.
* New-generation Cobalt. Basically an Astra built in the USA, available with three, four, or five doors. Include a Cobalt SS with the 260hp turbo four, of course.
* Malibu. Unchanged.
* Lucerne. Unchanged from the Buick. Large, soft, FWD sedans still sell quite well where I live.
* Impala. Pontiac G8, rebadged as a Chevy.
* Camaro.
* Corvette.
* Solstice. I'm not even sure they should keep the current model. Sales tanked after the first year, and it's got some serious flaws in the design (no cargo with the roof down, for example). Maybe keep the idea of an entry-level roadster, but go back to the drawing board. Use a slightly-shrunken C6 Corvette platform when the C7 Corvette comes out, with more mainstream materials than a C6 Corvette to keep costs down, and a turbo four engine? Available in coupe and convertible form.

TRUCKS:

* Silverado. Essentially unchanged.
* A yet-to-be-named unibody pickup based on the Lambda platform. As much as people bash the Ridgeline online, they sell like wildfire even in import-hostile Medford, and they make a ton of sense for "personal-use" pickups (hauling motorcycles, ATVs, and materials for do-it-yourself home-fix-it projects).
* Kill the Colorado and give up on the compact body-on-frame pickup market. It's been a sales disaster, and I think a stripped Silverado work truck and a Lambda unibody pickup would absorb most people who did buy Colorados.

SUVs/CUVs:

* New-generation HHR. Take an Opel Zafira compact MPV and give it retro American lines. Optional AWD. This will replace both the HHR and mainstream compact CUVs like the Vue and Equinox.
* Traverse. The current Lambda CUV.
* Suburban. I suspect these will keep selling, though in smaller numbers.

CADILLAC:

* ATS: Compact four-door coupe with the 260hp turbo four or a 400ish-hp small block. Gateway drug to Cadillac.
* CTS: Unchanged.
* STS: New generation, built with the love that the CTS got. Available in short and long wheelbase (like they do in China). The LWB version will eclipse the DTS.
* Yet-to-be-named compact crossover. Looks like the Provoq concept, uses the platform of the new Vue.
* Yet-to-be-named large crossover. Lambda platform. It would meet the market demand currently filled by the Enclave.
* XLR: New generation, built with the love that the CTS got.
* Escalade: Because Fitty doesn't care about gas prices.
maxima302
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Jul 3 2008, 12:13 AM) *

Not true. AM was sold to 2 groups of investors.. the first headed up by Prodrive guru David Richards and also including one of my dealers John Sinders. The second group was an investment group backing Richards and Sinders from Kuwait. There were rumors of Louis Vuitton bidding on the company, but it never materialized.
maxima302
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Jul 4 2008, 08:51 AM) *
You say in a climate moving away from SUVs...in middle America, people are moving to large crossovers, not away from them. Medford is a prime example of "middle America" buyers. For years and years, if you had a kid, you bought a Tahoe. That was a rule or something. Maybe they hand out Tahoes at hospitals; maybe it's a Medford City Ordinance. I don't know. But hot mamas driving their boys to football practice (American football, not soccer, in this neck of the woods) drive Tahoes with custom wheels. They certainly don't drive minivans, which are only popular here with Bible-study groups and the morbidly obese.

So now you've got a ton of families who are used to the interior space, the look, and the driving feel of a Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon, but tired of its fuel economy. For these people, a Traverse/Outlook/Acadia is a miracle machine. Even roomier inside, and far more fuel-efficient (the Acadia gets the same fuel economy as a Sienna), with the same look and similar feel to what they're used to. The Lambda crossovers are selling like wildfire here. You can't turn around without seeing one.

So while the Lambda SUVs might seem like an anachronism in the Bay Area or NYC or somewhere like that, they're the new big thing here in "middle America" (the culture, not the location). I agree that one luxury Lambda and three non-luxury Lambdas seems excessive, but I suspect that's just internal politics at GM. Everyone wants a piece of the pie.
No clue. Partly image, maybe? I tend to think of a Chevy Silverado as a rancher's truck, and a GMC Sierra as a construction worker's truck. Still, I think GMC is the least-unique GM brand.

This is a good example of why people misunderstand the problems with auto companies. Just because you see "hot mamas driving their boys to football practice" in Medford Oregon doesn't mean that its an accurate representation of SUV trends or a product's popularity. I love it when people, especially in the Southeast, say "Well I don't see a lot of Nissans around, so they must not be doing well." Well, in fact, the SE is our largest market. You can't make assumptions about market conditions based on what you see around town, thats ridiculous.

My 2 cents on GM is close to what has been said in this thread: They will surely need to consolidate their brands....but first and foremost, they need to consolidate their models. GM looses shit loads of money everyday with massive volumes of vehicles sitting @ factories, ports, rail terminals, distribution centers... all when dealerships are backlogged with shitty vehicles sitting 90-120 days on the lot. Nardelli of Chrysler along with Jim Press (CEO and President, respectively) said earlier this year that it only took a 7 minute phone car to drop the PT 'Vert, the Pacifica, and the Magnum from the production line for the 2nd quarter, which slashed their volume by 100,000 + units! GM needs somebody with some balls to look @ the numbers and say "Hey... these units aren't selling... lets cut some models." Yeah, its hard to cut your losses in the auto industry, especially considering the investment it takes to develop and launch a new model. But get the f*ck over it and stop losing your asses every day with sitting, deadweight inventory.

As far as brands go, If I were atop the GM chain, I'd move all Buick production to China and start slashing Buick stores here in the States. Then I'd convert smaller numbers and sell them here as imports to larger markets such as South Florida, Southern California, Nevada, and AZ. The next thing I would do is pull Saab out of the US. They might make a good car, but they don't make a competitive car, and thats the difference between making money and losing money. The last time Saabs sold well was when the only entry-level luxury sedans were the 3-series, the 190-series, maybe a few Volvos...now Saabs market is over-saturated with competition. Next I'd discontinue the Pontiac line. Unless the g8 becomes a volume selling line with a great, efficient V6 and Hybrid model, Gm will always lose money on it (here in the US). The rest of the line (even the Solstice at this point) is trash, I'd get rid of it because Pontiac doesn't have the brand power to support a niche vehicle (OK Vibe... you can stay for a while). But I would keep the G8 platform, make it universal and sell it in every other market badged as whatever works best (Holden, Chevy, whatever). As for the Chevy brand, I'd get rid of the Impala, Equinox, and Aveo first. I'd take the funding from those projects and the next 5 upcoming products in those segments, go back to the drawing board and figure out how to build a Civic rip-off. Then I'd make that vehicle universal for sale around the world.

The ONLY way GM will be able to raise their money will be through vehicle sales in other countries besides the US at this time. For 10+ years now, Ford has been making CASH on its global brands, namely Ford Europe. At this moment, GM has no cash, which is their immediate problem as far as banks are concerned. I do think GM is making more aggressive products than Ford... but right now, Cash is king... and Ford's got it...
moe
For the record, the platform that the G8 sits on is pretty much universal. I like your plan though.

EDIT: Pretty interesting article over at Motive concerning Pontiac's future
Dr. Strangelove
Holy shit...

What would GM going bankrupt do to our economy?
fiber optic
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Aug 1 2008, 08:54 AM) *
Holy shit...

What would GM going bankrupt do to our economy?

It will decrease it's mean radius of travel around the bowl.
Synesthesia
Shit, just read about the losses in the paper. It's pretty shocking to think that the big three are actually, finally, falling apart.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.