Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motorcycle Gear
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Phix
Ok, so I've decided that I'm going to be saving up for a 2008 Honda CBR125R. No, it isn't sold in the U.S. market. If you're interested in the motorcycle just click this link: http://www.honda.ca/MCPE/Motorcycle/Models...;Model=CBR125R8

So, anyway, before actually purchasing/financing the bike... I plan on taking a motorcycle training course (apparently, the one offered up here at Durham College is world reknowned for being one of the best) and, obviously, purchasing the motorcycle safety equipment which can be quite pricy in itself.

Now, I'm open to suggestions as to where to purchase the gear, if I should order it online, or what brands to go for, what to avoid.....

Biggest question right now would be for the jacket: textile or leather?
goota
wow, that is awesome, I wish we had those here, I have been wanting a bike too. Its retarded I think bikes here need to be at least 250cc to be road legal (that might just be CA).
Phix
This bike gets 100mpg. Awesome +2

Redlines at 11000rpm.... top speed is only a pithy 130km/h.
Asher
That's the kind of bike I'd get; something light and easy to throw around.

Anyway, sorry, I can't help you in the gear dept. Cool bike.
caster
Make sure to invest in a good helmet, I remember shopping around with my bro and Arai and Shoei being the top 2 names (at least from what I can recall). Please ride safe and be aware of other drivers as well! Unfortunately my brother was a victim in a fatal accident when some guy tried stealing a left turn. Please please please ride safe! If you're ever in SoCal you can check out some bike nights at my website: http://socalbikenights.com
Uwe
In any case I wouldn't buy the helmet online. Go to a bike shop, try different helmets and you will see that even if they fit some are not as comfy as others. And while you're trying them out wear them for longer than just a few seconds. Nothing worse than a helmet that is not comfortable to wear.

@caster
Sorry for your brother.
eraser_rx
QUOTE(Phix @ Jul 1 2008, 05:46 PM) *
This bike gets 100mpg. Awesome +2

Redlines at 11000rpm.... top speed is only a pithy 130km/h.

:O....i'm imagining 100km/h at 9000 rpm.....wait....125cc....can't go on highway with that....nevermind....
Phix
QUOTE(caster @ Jul 2 2008, 02:29 AM) *
Make sure to invest in a good helmet, I remember shopping around with my bro and Arai and Shoei being the top 2 names (at least from what I can recall). Please ride safe and be aware of other drivers as well! Unfortunately my brother was a victim in a fatal accident when some guy tried stealing a left turn. Please please please ride safe! If you're ever in SoCal you can check out some bike nights at my website: http://socalbikenights.com

Sorry to hear that.... safety is definitely my #1 factor.

The one piece of advice which was previously mentioned on DS was the one I'd definitely base my entire riding actions on: always act as if you're completely invisible.

Yeah, I was looking at several Shoei helmets. Nice design and from reading the reviews.... they're aerodynamically much more stable than the other brands out there.
Mitlov
Shoei and Arai are the Coke and Pepsi of awesome helmets. There are plenty of other good options out there that are more affordable (I've had good luck with HJC), but if you're willing to spend a bit much, Shoei and Arai are really hard to beat.

DO NOT ORDER HELMETS ONLINE. It's not just a size issue; each helmet has an interior "shape." I've been buying Shoei size large helmets for years, and I got one online, and lo and behold, for that model year they'd revised the interior shape and it no longer fit my skull. A very painful pressure point on the forehead resulted. Helmets really need to be worn around a bike shop for half an hour before you make a purchase, to make sure they fit.

I'd suggest doing the same with boots, because they're inflexible due to the armor. I bought a pair of Sidi boots mail-order. Right length, but a bit too narrow, and they get very painful after a while.

Basically, because proper fit is so important with motorcycle gear (both for comfort and safety reasons), I don't recommend mail-order or online. Especially not for helmets and boots.

Biggest question right now would be for the jacket: textile or leather?

Textile breathes better if it's a "summer jacket," and is more waterproof if it's a colder-weather textile jacket.. But nothing in the world protects better than leather. There's a reason people who ride million-dollar MotoGP bikes still wear plain old horsehide suits.

QUOTE(caster @ Jul 1 2008, 11:29 PM) *
Please ride safe and be aware of other drivers as well! Unfortunately my brother was a victim in a fatal accident when some guy tried stealing a left turn. Please please please ride safe! If you're ever in SoCal you can check out some bike nights at my website: http://socalbikenights.com

This is a VERY common situation. A friend of mine has pins holding his kneecap together after being hit by a car; once again, he was going straight through an intersection and the car coming the opposite direction refused to yield and turned left and plowed into him. "I never saw him" blah blah blah.

Be wary of intersections. They're the most dangerous place in the world to ride a motorcycle.
Ozi
Why not the Kawasaki R250 ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.