Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Audi S5
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Cool
Mitlov
I can't believe that nobody's done this car yet, but I guess not. The S5 shares a platform with the new-generation A4, which pushes the front wheels six inches forward compared to the B7 A4. This dramatically improves weight distribution, and looks nice too. The A5/S5 also gets swoopy lines and LED "eyeliner," which you either love or hate.

$50,500 (admittedly with impressive standard equipment).

4.2L V8 making 354 hp @ 6800 rpm and 325 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm.
6-speed manual available.
0-60 in 4.9 seconds (with 6MT).
3891 (1765 kg) lbs.
Uwe
Cool.

The nitpicker in me would say "cool as Ingolstadt in winter" because Ingolstadt in winter is cool but not really frozen. Maybe we could change the poll entry to "frozen like an Ingolstadt girl at a one-night-stand approach". tongue.gif
Mitlov
QUOTE(Uwe @ Jun 23 2008, 12:33 PM) *
Cool.

The nitpicker in me would say "cool as Ingolstadt in winter" because Ingolstadt in winter is cool but not really frozen. Maybe we could change the poll entry to "frozen like an Ingolstadt girl at a one-night-stand approach". tongue.gif

If a mod can change the title of poll options, we should change the first to "as frozen as the Audi Godfather commercial." Cause that was damned cool.
moe
Fucking frozen. As slick as an Armani suit. The RS will be Godly.
b0mb3r
heck... even the regular A5s are awesome. they are just low and wide..
Mitlov
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Jun 23 2008, 02:57 PM) *
heck... even the regular A5s are awesome. they are just low and wide..

I'd actually prefer the A5 3.2 to the S5, personally. But this is DS, so I figured I'd do a thread on the S5.

The A5/S5 really is striking in person, isn't it! Like you said, so low and wide. Very fluid and organic, too.

I'm wondering who called it "uncool."
infinity
Ingolstadt. I actually saw one this morning. It is such a beautiful yet aggressive looking car. Thumbs up Audi.
Synesthesia
Cool, the RS will be frozen. Why the hell do you prefer the A5 over the S5 Miltov?
Mitlov
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Jun 23 2008, 06:00 PM) *
Why the hell do you prefer the A5 over the S5 Miltov?

(1) 150 fewer lbs on the nose. Should be better balanced.

(2) Cause I'm baby bear, not mama bear or papa bear. Sometimes more isn't better. Actually, if you have a ton of power, you can't use anything near the full rev range except if you're in first or second gear, or if you're on a track. I think 265 hp, 243 lb-ft sounds like the perfect amount for a vehicle this size. Not so little as to feel slow (i.e., the A5 1.8T that Europe gets), but not so much that you never get to put the engine through its paces in the real world. Come on...just a few short years ago, Infiniti was bragging about its 260-ish horsepower G35 sedan. 265 hp isn't slow!!!

(3) The A5 3.2 is 38% more fuel-efficient. That's a huge difference.

(4) With the sticker price difference, I could buy a brand new GSX-R750.
Razor
Quick, beautiful, and... has police car rear seats?

Cool. thumbs_up.gif
Synesthesia
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Jun 23 2008, 09:14 PM) *
(1) 150 fewer lbs on the nose. Should be better balanced.

(2) Cause I'm baby bear, not mama bear or papa bear. Sometimes more isn't better. Actually, if you have a ton of power, you can't use anything near the full rev range except if you're in first or second gear, or if you're on a track. I think 265 hp, 243 lb-ft sounds like the perfect amount for a vehicle this size. Not so little as to feel slow (i.e., the A5 1.8T that Europe gets), but not so much that you never get to put the engine through its paces in the real world. Come on...just a few short years ago, Infiniti was bragging about its 260-ish horsepower G35 sedan. 265 hp isn't slow!!!

(3) The A5 3.2 is 38% more fuel-efficient. That's a huge difference.

(4) With the sticker price difference, I could buy a brand new GSX-R750.

All very valid points, but we're on the cool wall. biggrin.gif
Mitlov
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Jun 24 2008, 09:02 AM) *
All very valid points, but we're on the cool wall. biggrin.gif

Touche. Bring on the RS5!
Asher
I don't love or hate the eyeliner.

(Forzen.)
clarkma5
Frozen for now but I think they'll come down in a year or two. But I saw several in europe and they all look so damned good. And lemme tell ya, that LED eyeliner works great on the autobahn. That new A4/A5 snout really has presence in your rear view mirror.
Phix
MJU.

Most awkward looking Audi I've ever seen. And quite plain, too.

Their whole design philosophy just doesn't work without those two extra doors in the back to give it some substance.
mung35
I was gonna go frozen. But the price point is high. I'd get an S4 and save $6k
clarkma5
QUOTE(mung35 @ Jun 26 2008, 03:03 PM) *
I was gonna go frozen. But the price point is high. I'd get an S4 and save $6k

Price difference between the S4 and S5 is $1,890. And for that extra $1,890, you get the superior FSI V8 engine (better fuel economy, 14 more HP, and 24 ft.-lbs. of torque, plus a broader torque band), less weight, better weight distribution, a newer/more superior chassis, and the latest evolution of the Quattro system.
Dr. Strangelove
And one of the most beautiful bodies to ever roll out of Germany. 0 degrees kelvin.
MustangAficionado
+1, they look so much better in person.

After this show, next weekend i saw this very car rolling out of the Irvine shopping mall parking structure
Dr. Strangelove
QUOTE(Phix @ Jun 26 2008, 02:18 PM) *
MJU.

Most awkward looking Audi I've ever seen. And quite plain, too.

Their whole design philosophy just doesn't work without those two extra doors in the back to give it some substance.

Have you seen one in person yet. It's jaw dropping.
Phix
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Jul 3 2008, 01:55 AM) *

Yes, I have... and my opinion stands.
infinity
But...but...this is DS? You have to like VAG products! eek.gif
Synesthesia
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Jul 3 2008, 01:55 AM) *

God, I just saw one for the first time today and it was really something. You don't think much of it in pictures, but it really turned my head...I just noticed it out of the corner of my eye. Good job Audi.
Bjorn
I thought it was silly looking and pointless until I saw one in person. I quite like them now, great proportions, and the LED lights really gibe the car presence during the day.
Dr. Strangelove
So, it's a powerful yet subtle on the outside, stunningly beautiful (unless you're Phix) and reasonably priced. I love cars like this, it has to be frozen. If the Porsche Cayman is frozen, this is sub zero.
4wheelfreak
Cool for the styling and engine alone.
moe
You know, it's a damned cool car. About as cool, as cool gets, but it doesn't have that special something that pushes it over into the "frozen" section for me. Someone please change my vote from frozen to cool please.
clarkma5
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Jul 9 2008, 02:39 PM) *
You know, it's a damned cool car. About as cool, as cool gets, but it doesn't have that special something that pushes it over into the "frozen" section for me. Someone please change my vote from frozen to cool please.

done
b0mb3r
and I almost traded my MKV for it... smile.gif
Dr. Strangelove
How the fuck is the Porsche Cayman cooler than this car?!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.