Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bye-bye US Focus...
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Mitlov
Autoblog: Ford confirms U.S. production of Euro Focus in 2010.

It's the moment that all of us who like our compact cars nice instead of just cheap have been waiting for. Along with the new Fiesta and "the Taurus we should have built all along," it seems like North American Ford's car division is about to have a turn-around of Hyundai proportions.
fiber optic
I can only hope "the Taurus we should have built" means RWD Ecoboost.
moe
Isn't the current Focus selling pretty well? It's not THAT bad mind you. And wasn't the NEXT Focus supposed to be a world car?
Mitlov
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Jun 20 2008, 11:00 AM) *
I can only hope "the Taurus we should have built" means RWD Ecoboost.

With GM, Chrysler, and even Hyundai now offering large RWD sedans, and with the Crown Vic being approximately 735 years old, I think that a RWD Taurus is a safe bet. An ecoboost powerplant seems pretty logical given CAFE requirements hand high gas prices. If I recall correctly, Ford is putting the finishing touches on a twin-turbo V6 that would be just perfect for a large RWD sedan.

QUOTE(moethepaki @ Jun 20 2008, 11:48 AM) *
Isn't the current Focus selling pretty well? It's not THAT bad mind you. And wasn't the NEXT Focus supposed to be a world car?

Yeah, but IIRC, it's selling at such low prices that Ford loses money on every one it sells. Ford can't sell the US Focus at the prices that would make it profitable on its own, instead of merely a way to offset the mpg numbers from trucks and SUVs for CAFE purposes.

I don't think that the Euro Focus would boost sales, but I think it would boost profits. If it costs $1,500 more per car to build, but they can sell it for $2,500 more per car, then it's a great proposition.
moe
I've heard the next Taurus is sticking to FWD.
Razor
Does this mean we get the RS as well? Finally, Ford. Sheesh. Took you long enough. Too bad we missed out on stuff like the ST.
Bjorn
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Jun 20 2008, 01:49 PM) *
I don't think that the Euro Focus would boost sales, but I think it would boost profits. If it costs $1,500 more per car to build, but they can sell it for $2,500 more per car, then it's a great proposition.

I dont represent the majority, im sure, but if a Euro Focus is available here with a clean efficient diesel option, Ill buy a Ford.
Clockwork
If you told me the new Focus RS was available today in the US, I would walk away from my computer right now and buy one.
mung35
By the time this Fucus comes out, we'll topple Middle Eastern governments for no reason and make oil at $6/barrel. Thus, driving an SUV will be cool again and being stupid Ford be far behind on the trendy bandwagon.

No, for serious, Ford is bound to fuck this up.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jun 20 2008, 03:30 PM) *
I dont represent the majority, im sure, but if a Euro Focus is available here with a clean efficient diesel option, Ill buy a Ford.

What leads you to believe that diesel will be an option? That'd be far too much change for Ford in one sitting. wink.gif
redls1bird
+ 1 There is one underlying factor that seals the deal. Ford is an AMERICAN car company, and everything that ever came from one and looked clever or ingenious fell on its face after it was unveiled.
Bjorn
Um...that`s a pretty fucking ignorant statement...and I'm a recovering American car hater, so if I'm calling you on it, you know its a stupid statement.

Recent examples of American cars which have not fell on their face include...

-Original Focus
-Astra
-Malibu/Aura
-Solstice/Sky
-CTS
-C6 Z06
-Ford GT
-Cobalt SS Supercharged
-Fusion

Im sure I left a few out, but even so, these are cars I would test if I were in the market for a car in their segment...
hexagone
-Original Focus -> Good budget world car
-Astra -> Still not up to task to its japanese competition
-Malibu/Aura -> Still not stealing Toyota/Honda buyers
-Solstice/Sky -> Look nice, but have seen appalling reviews
-CTS -> Solid contender, no doubt about it.
-C6 Z06 -> Insanely fast, but Chevy aveo interior
-Ford GT -> Awesome, but it was forgotten quickly
-Cobalt SS Supercharged -> It's still a cobalt
-Fusion -> It's not ugly, but it's not anything toyota/honda midsize buyers will 'seriously' consider either

(what I think)
Bjorn
^I agree they all have their faults, but repetitively speaking, all of the cars I mentioned are good cars, and heads and shoulders above the cars the replaced.

In regards to the Solstice, I drove one, and aside from a silly top, and some ergonomic issues it was a great car...much better than the 2007 Miata I drove soon after.
hexagone
I sat in the solstice. Let's just say some of the interior bits were straight pulled from a playskool car...
Bjorn
Have you sat in a new Miata...the interior looks nice in pictures, but in reality is made of cheap & nasty plastic. Its quite a disappointment considering the quality and simplicity of the previous two generations, which I was fairly familiar with.
Mitlov
QUOTE(hexagone @ Jun 21 2008, 10:02 AM) *
-Fusion -> It's not ugly, but it's not anything toyota/honda midsize buyers will 'seriously' consider either

(what I think)

But I could come up with a single negative quip for any single car on the planet. Especially when some of the quips deal with sales figures instead of the car itself (Malibu, Ford GT, Fusion).
hexagone
I'll admit, I'm heavily biased against domestic manufacturers. Not until they (the US manufacturers) begin making solid cars as a whole... my general disdain and cynicism towards them will remain. I am ready to point out a good (american) car when I see one, but they are far and few between. There have been some very good attempts (and successes) as of late, but for a country that has been making cars for almost a century... to realize it took them this long to even start getting their act together is mind boggling.
moe
QUOTE(hexagone @ Jun 21 2008, 08:02 PM) *

(what I think)

Right, but honestly that's nitpicking, I could do the same for the Japanese competition.

The Astra argument could be reversed. The Europeans (whom my views are more in-line with), would certainly say so. The Solstice/Sky really shouldn't be on a best domestics list. They aren't really that good, though they do offer RWD and sex appeal for an appealing price. The 'Vette's interior has since been updated, and I think the leather package does wonders.

Anyway, I'd add a couple more to the "good" domestics list.

- 300C/Charger/Magnum - A bit long in the tooth now, but are still very comfortable long distance machines thanks to the MB-derived platform. The sedans sold well too. Shame the built quality isn't better.
- Edge - Stylish, practical, well-built, and and good to drive too.
- GTO/Lumina Coupe - probably the most underrated performance coupe ever. It's only real failing was the questionable build-quality of the interior
- G8/Lumina/Caprice - excellent really.
- Taurus X - another highly underrated car. Bland styling ensure it was constantly overlooked, Flex should remedy that.
- Lincoln LS - Lincoln was on to a real winner here. I thought it was better than any of the Japanese competition at the time, and not far behind BMW/Merc. Shame it was left out to rot rather than being updated in a timely manner.
- Cadillac Catera - Once again, hugely underrated. It was stylish, and a sharp drive.
- Ford Countour/Mercury Mystique - Stylish, and probably the best handling of their time. Often forgotten though...the SVT was a real riot.
- Chevy Impala - it really is quite good, and good value for money too.

All of this is really brushing the surface. I haven't even bothered mentioning most SUVs and trucks.
Marien
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jun 21 2008, 04:53 PM) *
Recent examples of American cars which have not fell on their face include...

-Astra
-Solstice/Sky

Just to be nitpicking, but aren't these cars rebadged Opels/Vauxhalls, i.e. not real american cars?
Mitlov
QUOTE(Marien @ Jun 21 2008, 04:57 PM) *
Just to be nitpicking, but aren't these cars rebadged Opels/Vauxhalls, i.e. not real american cars?

But Opel has been a General Motors subsidiary since 1929. I don't see that there's much meaning to arguing which GM subsidiaries are "real American cars" and which are not in such a situation. To me, that's no different than arguing that the North American Accord (and other vehicles designed by Honda North America) is not a "real Japanese car." Pointless and confusing semantics.
moe
^ TBH the badge-engineering argument is a bit complicated.

I think Marien's argument would pass for the Astra. It really was a finished product for the Opel brand that GM N. America plucked and decided to sell. However, if I'm correct, the Cobalt rides on the same basic platform. So the Astra platform really was designed for global consumption

Also, the as far as GM's small roadsters go. It was a Solstice long before it was anything else. So I think it's fair to say, Opel rebadged an American car for sale in Europe (and Daewoo for Korea).

GM really is a global brand these days so it's difficult to say what's being rebadged, and what really was designed for a brand in the first place. I think the safest way to go is just go with what badge it's wearing.
Bjorn
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Jun 21 2008, 07:18 PM) *
^ TBH the badge-engineering argument is a bit complicated.
Also, the as far as GM's small roadsters go. It was a Solstice long before it was anything else. So I think it's fair to say, Opel rebadged an American car for sale in Europe (and Daewoo for Korea).

I think people are referring to the fact that what became the Solstice/Sky was (I think) an Opel concept which was set to replace the Elise based Opel Speedster/Vauxhall VX220...but I beleive Opel decided that the concept wasn't what they were looking for...also I don't think the VX220/Speedster was a very big seller.

-NOTE-I'm pretty sure I have my facts straight...although I may be completely wrong.
moe
I think you're talking about the Vauxhall Lightning. Didn't that concept only see the light of day after Pontiac put out the Solstice concept?
Bjorn
I was under the impression that it was the Vauxhall first...but I could be wrong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.