Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My next car?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Matt_L
I now have a new job and it's time to change my old 535i...

I want my next car to be a good daily driver which I can take to the track and do some lapping + drifting. This said, the car needs to be rwd and not too heavy. I'd prefer a recent car since I'm tired of old cars...

I thought about those cars:

BMW E36 (325is/328is)
Nissan 240sx S14

It's not alot, but I can't think of any others...

Any suggestion?

Thanks guys!
dukenukem
Give us some dollar figures.
Bjorn
Judging by the cars you put up there I would guess about $10-$15,000?

What about something like a Porsche 944? They were pretty solid, and are currently selling for about that figure.
dukenukem
Mustang GT ?
Matt_L
Price would be between 5000-10000$.

Mustang would cost too much in gaz.

Porsche would be nice, but unless it's a 944 Turbo I heard it's not worth it.
goota
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jun 19 2008, 05:16 PM) *
Judging by the cars you put up there I would guess about $10-$15,000?

lol wut? more like 5k

edit: yes as matt just said.

and matt, i think a 240 would be great, youll probably have to fix up any you find, I dont know up in canadaland, but the only 240s you find down here are beat up and need some real TLC.
Bjorn
The 2.5L in the 994S made 190bhp and got to 100km/h in 7.9, while the S2 had a 3.0 making 211, getting to 100 in 6.9 (numbers are for euro spec cars, NA figures may be different), they were produced between 1987 and 1991 and can still be found for reasonable money...although $10,000 may be pushing it.

I have never driven a 944, but from what I have been told and read they are a hoot to drive, and have lots of after market support.

What about an MR2 or Supra (second to last gen cars always looked nice to my eyes)?
moe
Camaro.
fiber optic
QUOTE(Matt_L @ Jun 19 2008, 07:24 PM) *
Mustang would cost too much in gaz.

It's really not too different from the 328is going by the numbers at fueleconomy.gov. I picked the '99 model year because Wikipedia says '91-'99 for the E36 so I picked a '99 Mustang GT as well. The 4.6L is practically bulletproof, aftermarket support like none other, and lots of fun. I'm a Ford fanboy though so of course that's what I'd be getting whistle.gif
Bjorn
QUOTE(goota @ Jun 19 2008, 07:28 PM) *
lol wut? more like 5k

Man, E36s are cheap where you guys are...here they are still a minimum of $10k for one even worth looking at.
Matt_L
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Jun 19 2008, 10:16 PM) *
It's really not too different from the 328is going by the numbers at fueleconomy.gov. I picked the '99 model year because Wikipedia says '91-'99 for the E36 so I picked a '99 Mustang GT as well. The 4.6L is practically bulletproof, aftermarket support like none other, and lots of fun. I'm a Ford fanboy though so of course that's what I'd be getting whistle.gif

Mustang is too heavy for my taste, it would need to be lightened too much + more mods on the handling than a BMW if compared when stock. It's a nice car and I would love to own a V8 car one day, but I don't think it suits my needs.

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jun 19 2008, 10:49 PM) *
Man, E36s are cheap where you guys are...here they are still a minimum of $10k for one even worth looking at.

True, but I've found some decent 328is for 7000-9000$ canadian.

Porsche 944 would be cool, but first thing that comes to my mind is the handbrake being on the left side, not really practical when drifting. Beside this, I think it would be a perfect car to learn the basic of lapping and drifting, not too much powerful and good handling.
fiber optic
QUOTE(Matt_L @ Jun 19 2008, 09:57 PM) *
Mustang is too heavy for my taste, it would need to be lightened too much + more mods on the handling than a BMW if compared when stock.

From Carpoint.com I assumed manual transmissions for both and stuck with the '99 model year.

BMW 328is Curb Weight: 3142 lbs.
Ford Mustang GT Curb Weight: 3237 lbs.
4wheelfreak
E36 all the way! You can even get a '97 M3 for $7000 with around 100k miles.
Matt_L
I think I'll go for an E36, I went to see one today, 328i 96 and I like the car. I'll keep you guys updated!
Synesthesia
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jun 19 2008, 08:29 PM) *
What about an MR2 or Supra (second to last gen cars always looked nice to my eyes)?

Yeah, I love MKIII Supras...that'd probably be what I'd get. Very reliable and you'd be able to get a very nice example for that price range. Guess it's a bit down in the power to weight arena...230 hp with 3300 lbs.
moe
I always heard that 3rd gen Supras weren't great to drive at all.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(Matt_L @ Jun 20 2008, 05:02 PM) *
I think I'll go for an E36, I went to see one today, 328i 96 and I like the car. I'll keep you guys updated!

ha smile.gif my dad has one of those... one thing.. make sure it comes with the M3 steering wheel :-)
skr
IF you throw in another 5k, you might be able to get a 2004 GTO.. those things practically drift right out of the box.
Bjorn
^I dont think they ever sold those in Canada, if so it would be really hard to bring one in. Although I did see an MR-2 spider with Manitoba plates a few days ago, which would be in the same boat as the GTO...
dukenukem
Btw .. hope you have factored in the cost of repairing the BMW if and when things go wrong.
Mitlov
QUOTE(skr @ Jun 21 2008, 09:21 AM) *
IF you throw in another 5k, you might be able to get a 2004 GTO.. those things practically drift right out of the box.

Yeah, the GTO was one of the most underrated cars of this decade.
Phix
GTO is illegal in Canada.

Bumper laws.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Jun 21 2008, 09:31 AM) *
Btw .. hope you have factored in the cost of repairing the BMW if and when things go wrong.

BMWs are not bad if you do majority of it yourself, however, if you are not I would suggest against buying one of them.
Bjorn
The E36 325ci my friend owns was apparently well maintained, but it has lots of electrical gremlins. Seems to loose a sensor every once in a while, and hes had problems with door locks and the top.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.