Boily
would love to get a picture I took of my summer car printed in a mag smile.gif

Marius
350Z VEILSIDE

Gauze

rolleyes.gif
SonicZoom
QUOTE(lukemunnell @ Mar 11 2010, 03:25 PM) *
I'm actually working on that now...seems Clint has sole rights to update his old posts :-/ Chances are it's something that's going to require him to pause Gears of War, put down the Cheetos and email a moderator to change, so I wouldn't recommend anyone hold their breath :-D

In the meantime, I'm trying to have a dedicated section created on importtuner.com for Longshots winners. That's something I wouldn't hold my breath over, too :-/

^^^ Speaks the truth
My buddy Luke is now in control of the longshots section on DS.

I have since resigned from IT and now self-employed DS_Naughty2.gif
spphoto.dk
Mike Boldt
Dr. Robot
Ecomark

Dr. Robot
SP50

OH OH! PICK ME! lol
lukemunnell
UPDATE:

Longshots featured photographers for the July, '10 issue of Import Tuner will be as follows:

Jurrie Vanhalle,
and his downward-looking shot of a silver S2K w/vented carbon hood
Tony Morgan's elevated side profile shot of that mean blue Civic coupe on the steelies
Kevin Bandy's fresh perspective of a parking garage shot w/a mean looking two-tone S14 on Works

...And Shot of the Month by Perry Kwok, for his minimalistic GT-R silhouette.

Thanks guys! Now everyone with Import Tuner distribution in their area, go out and buy the issue when it hits stands on 5.11 (U.S.)!

PMs are going out over the next few days to those of you whose photos I'd like to use for the August issue -- I'm still amazed at the quality of work on here. So many good shots to choose!

[color="#000000"][/color]
lukemunnell
Just some (hopefully) helpful criticism of the pics on this page, if anyone cares to read...

Dylan:
Your last shot in the first post, of the Supra under the tree, is pretty bangin' :-) Too bad it's of a less-than-Import Tuner-quality car :-(. Still, I'm really diggin the lighting and composition...maybe a tad less exposure on the car would be best? As for the three preceding Subie shots, the final one is my fav. The reflection on the hood and glass of the first shot just kill it, and the framing could be a little more liberal, IMO (same as with the moving shot of the Supra a couple posts down). Not a huge fan of the star effect in the second image, but it's still kinda cool. Was that shot with a filter, or added in post?

Unibomber:
I really like the white-on-white feel of your Porsche shot, but more contrast would definitely help; I don't think I see any true black.

Guillaume:
It's really tough to capture a black car at night, especially with ambient lighting, but you're on your way. White-balancing the ambient light behind and to the side of the car, along with a little more depth of field, would help this image. Maybe try a slightly lower camera height next time, with the wheels of the car cut a bit more to show them off? A circular polarizer filter might've also helped cut out some of the reflection on the car. Finally, the truck is a little distracting. Not overly so, but IMO, the image would be stronger without it.

Marius:
That rear rig shot of the Z is great, even if maybe a liiiiiitle bit tight with regard to camera-to-car distance (looks like the profile rig shot on your Flickr was shot with the camera a little farther away?). I really, really like the fact that it's traveling in a logical direction, and not simply spinning in a circle in an empty parking lot. Set against the white light of the outside world, this black car really pops out from its background. I wonder if lightening the roof and camera-left wall might help the car's rear pop out even more? Nice shot.

Gauze:
I'm not a huge fan of HDR for automotive photography, but your first shot of the EVO is solid. Rotate/skew the shot into symmetry in Photoshop with the help of guidlines, bring out the white in the lights a little (they look kinda muddy), and it's a great shot.

Sebastian: Nice, clean, in-camera shot. I see you lightened up at least the wheels/tires in post -- put a little black back in them, gradate the transition from tire to ground around the rear wheel, and it'll be spot on. I'm really diggin that car, BTW! Can you PM me some information and specs for it? I'm thinking we might have a feature car here ;-)

Mike: Amazing work, as usual. Nothing else to say. Awesome shot.

Sam: Same. I'm really liking your car-to-car shot of the Supra. The driver's hand being the center of focus is awesome -- a trick you could replicate by rotating the camera slightly as you shoot, keeping your focus point the axis of rotation (if you haven't already done that here). This is another car I'm interested in for a possible feature...can you PM me some info of it? As for the profile shot of the MR2...I'm liking "Scrapyard" and "Underpass" on your Flickr more -- two very solid shots (if maybe a bit on the bright side).

Mark:
You've got some halo action going on in your first shot, which is never a good thing -- if you're brushing in the darker sky as layer mask, try brushing over the car a little, instead of trying to avoid it; the edge of a reflective surface naturally takes on the levels of its background. The third shot is a little flat and muddy. I have a feeling you're darkening the background to help separate it from the car. When you do this, remember to try to keep some true whites and blacks, if possible. If you're adjusting exposure in Levels, you could be compressing the dynamic range of the image too much -- try setting black/white points in levels, and then using Curves for brightness/contrast. The middle shot is really nice! Balance the temperature of the light on the ground, and it's golden, IMO. I usually don't like lights being so close to a subject, but the technique gives an interesting effect here.

SP50:
That S2K pic...sry mang; not a fan at all. Immediately noticeable is the lack of contrast in the car compared to the background (especially the lack of true black). The parking lot foreground is distracting, the background is distracting and ugly, the sky is nice, but camera height/focal length isn't the best choice, and the framing is a little tight. The 350Z picture below it is miles better, although the light temperature on the side of the car needs to be white-balanced to match the front and desaturated b/g. Framing is still a little off...but camera height and tilt are good. The Hyundai pic is cool for what it is -- did the car end up over-rotating after this shot was taken? The driver is talented and/or lucky if it didn't :-D The S13 shot, however, is really nice! Camera height and depth of field are spot on, i like how there's no camera tilt (although a little might still work), and the trucks off to the side are a nice contrast to the slammed sport-compact subject. My only complaint is that the car could've been positioned a liiiiitle more to camera left, so as to cover the purple coupe in the background). That, and maybe the white threshold could be brought up a little in post; I don't see any true white in there. But the car is friggin badass. That's another one I'd really be interested in learning more about :-) PM me?

Feel free to take or leave my criticism, guys. I'm not professing to be an expert -- there are others in this forum whose work and experience far surpass mine; I'm just calling out what comes to mind when selecting photos for Longshots. Those of you who know me well (Clint) know that I'm a huge fan of dialogue. I find that too often criticism isn't dished out that could really help make us aware of how we could improve our work.

Also, if I ask any of you for details on a particular car, know that you'll get first crack at shooting it if we decide it would make a good feature in Import Tuner -- and that would be a paid gig :-) You'd also get a little more coaching as to what we we're looking for in a feature shoot, if we get to that point (unless you're Easton, in which case we may ask you for advice with our work :-P).

Thanks again guys, and keep the photos rolling in!

--Luke
Ecomark

Did some more practicing with the flash. smile.gif
rockets.

Martin
Probably the hottest japanese ride in sweden right now. wink.gif

rockets.

Obviously I could remove the Canibeat smile.gif haha
skwirtle

JustinCesler
I like that last rig shot - nice!
skwirtle
Thanks, its my turd bucket.. figured it was a decent shot so why not try eh biggrin.gif
C.Lunn
lukemunnell
Ooooh! I like that IS! Nice shot, too... PM me your contact info so we can talk about it :-)
lukemunnell
Adam -- Kam's car? Looking good. Dying to know what the engine bay looks like ;-)

Rig shot is nice looking, too, but from an editorial standpoint, it would really be nice to see a rig shot of this car on a road instead of a parking structure.

Nice work guys :-)
Hartawan
I don't think I posted this before...

skwirtle
Thanks Luke. Yeah, Kam was dying for me to snap some pics.. We didn't get any engine shots but he wants to meet up again so I'll snag some then.
zzw3o
Luke, can i please get a pdf file for the July(the one hitting the stand on may 11) issue?
JorDinhO
QUOTE(zzw3o @ Apr 19 2010, 01:54 AM) *
Luke, can i please get a pdf file for the July(the one hitting the stand on may 11) issue?

And perhaps also the Longshots PDF from April ??!! DS_Naughty2.gif
TimeAtk
QUOTE(Hartawan @ Apr 18 2010, 02:03 AM) *
I don't think I posted this before...

This one is sickk

Ps csn i get the PDF for June 2010 smile.gif
SFurstenborg
QUOTE(TimeAtk @ Apr 22 2010, 06:48 AM) *
Ps csn i get the PDF for June 2010 smile.gif

+1 but for Feb 2010

rolleyes.gif
Chin.Up

sHIFT.rsaw

skwirtle
ronniej
skwirtle
Hartawan
daniele fontanin

daniele fontanin

Chin.Up

Gauze

SonicZoom
So much good stuff in here smile.gif
Glad I don't have to choose anymore Raspberry.gif
Chin.Up
QUOTE(SonicZoom @ May 17 2010, 10:39 PM) *
So much good stuff in here smile.gif
Glad I don't have to choose anymore Raspberry.gif

How often does Luke check this page haha?

Anyways heres another shot

sHIFT.rsaw
skwirtle
silverludebb6

thumbs_up.gif
dornon13
MoroccanSpice
Here are some samples of my work.I've been taking pictures for about a month now, and absolutely love it. A good friend of mine, Chin.up, recommended I submit some of my work. Thank you for your time.

Zach

Entry 1

Entry 2

Entry 3

Entry 4
rockets.

3rd time's a charm? smile.gif
skwirtle
I can remove the logo if need be.

abs0Lut
Mrlinky

1st submission...

water mark can be removed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.