Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's more exciting?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Phix
b00st's poll inspired this thread because I scoff at his remark of a SAAB or a Volvo being more exciting than a BMW or Lexus. Thus, let loose!

What manufacturer do you find to be more exciting than the others provided?

Some examples....

EDIT: Pictures removed because nobody ever reads anything anymore. They just look at pictures. The point of this thread is which one excites you when you hear its very name? BMW? Lexus? Volvo? SAAB? Which one at the mere mention of its name gets you all hopped up?
infinity
I'd rank these by "excitement" like so:

BMW
Volvo
Saab
Lexus
infinity
Your pics scream for certain results. How about some contrasting ones :

Phix
I already have the 9-3 in there... I'm just looking for the most exciting brand. I'm using some of the most exciting (imo) cars offered by them.

I'm not showing shitty cars. Every brand here has a selection of entry level shitty cars if you will.... find me a real exciting Volvo? I think the C30 is pretty exciting. And I think the 9-3 is pretty exciting as well. Just not as exciting as a BMW.
infinity
QUOTE(Phix @ Jun 7 2008, 02:59 PM) *
find me a real exciting Volvo?

4wheelfreak
If by "exiting" you mean "not sure whether or not it will understeer into a tree" then Volvo wins. Otherwise BMW all the way.
infinity
We mean "exciting", not "exiting" wink.gif
Phix
Right, a race-spec'ed Volvo? Ok, any one of the cars from all the manufacturers can be equipped to look like that... you're missing my point.
infinity
No I get your point, I'm just being an ass wave.gif
duality
saab and volvo exciting? lexus perhaps.

bmw all the way.
Asher
Pontiac is obviously more exciting than any of these.
Razor
Phix, are you only doing current models? If not, I'd say the S60R and V70R are more exciting than the C30.

For the record, I still think the LF-A is trying way too hard.
Mitlov
Phix, I took Boost's "boring BMW and Lexus" comment differently. Not boring as in boring to drive, but boring as in everybody and their cousin has one. In which case, yes, a high-performance Saab and Volvo raises eyebrows in a way that an M3 might not--because five M3s and fifty 3-Serieses already drove by that same spot that morning. Does that make sense?

QUOTE(Razor @ Jun 7 2008, 04:14 PM) *
Phix, are you only doing current models? If not, I'd say the S60R and V70R are more exciting than the C30.

For the record, I still think the LF-A is trying way too hard.

Not to mention, the LF-A isn't a "current model" because it's still a concept and a prototype, last time I checked. Though the IS-F in black is pretty sweet in my book, despite having an absofuckinglylutely inappropriate transmission.

V70R >>>>>>>> C30 when it comes to excitement.

QUOTE(Asher @ Jun 7 2008, 01:34 PM) *
Pontiac is obviously more exciting than any of these.

Two years ago, that was a funny joke, but no more. Now with the Solstice GXP and G8 GXP...there's a bit of truth to it.
Phix
The whole point of this thread is that.... when you hear BMW or Lexus... as in you hear the name... and then you hear Volvo and SAAB.... which one excites you more at the mere thought of it? I'm not talking about current models. I'm not talking about concepts or prestige or history.

I never even said anything about car models. All I did was put pictures of cars in the thread as an example. Clearly, people just look at pictures and nothing else. I'm removing the pics.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Phix @ Jun 7 2008, 07:17 PM) *
The whole point of this thread is that.... when you hear BMW or Lexus... as in you hear the name... and then you hear Volvo and SAAB.... which one excites you more at the mere thought of it? I'm not talking about current models. I'm not talking about concepts or prestige or history.

I never even said anything about car models. All I did was put pictures of cars in the thread as an example. Clearly, people just look at pictures and nothing else. I'm removing the pics.

In terms of brand image instead of the four specific models you posted, BMW and Saab tie for first, Lexus and Volvo tie for last. Yes, there are some exciting BMWs, but I tend to think of loaded-up luxury vehicles bought by people who want to advertise that they've "made it." That really, really hurts the "excitement" image generated by BMW's admittedly superbly-driving cars and motorsports heritage. And when I think of Saabs I think of massively- torque-steering turbocharged hatchbacks (from the 900S to the Viggen). Good? Perhaps not. Exciting? Certainly.

As for Lexus, I think of big, soft, quiet sedans. I certainly do not think of the LFA first (or at all) when people ask me "what do you think of Lexus?"
Bjorn
I guess im more visceral, I took exciting to mean which one of these brands do I have the most passion for. That would have to be BMW.

Yes yobbos drive them, but I ache a little inside, and regret my life decisions every time I see an M3, M5, M coupe or watch the 320si go round in the BTCC.

Lexus comes in a close second, and could have potentially been first if the IS-F came with either a proper manual or a DSG type transmission.

Volvo also gets a nod because I love the V70R and XC70...

Saab...while I find their cars to be good looking, I wouldn't have one over a Volvo or BMW.
Synesthesia
Like everyone else, it's BMW without a doubt. I really do not like the company, the customers, or really most of their cars. But the //M line is so damn exciting biggrin.gif
moe
When I hear BMW...I think fast, fun, even sexy (my favorite BMW is the Z4 Coupe, and that's what springs to mind most readily).

When I hear Lexus, I think luxury.

When I hear Saab, I think quirky

When hear Volvo, I think wagon.

Mitlov
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Jun 8 2008, 03:21 PM) *
When I hear BMW...I think fast, fun, even sexy

Clearly, Moe likes his women ugly wink.gif
clarkma5
The Z4 M Coupe is downright gorgeous.
Mr b00st
Clearly Saab! You don't know if the 9-3 Viggen is going to accelerate in a straight line, or just steer itself into the car next to you when you floor it. I'd say that's exciting.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(4wheelfreak @ Jun 7 2008, 03:29 PM) *
If by "exiting" you mean "not sure whether or not it will understeer into a tree" then Volvo wins. Otherwise BMW all the way.

:-)
remember, FWD is a relatively new thing for Volvo.
Benny
i wonder who had the lexus bias rolleyes.gif

but only becuase i havent driven a Saab or volvo, and the only bmw i've driven was a 1989 325is and it didnt do much for me.
Razor
I've driven all but a Saab. E46 M3 wins over any of the others so far.
moe
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Jun 9 2008, 08:13 AM) *
Clearly Saab! You don't know if the 9-3 Viggen is going to accelerate in a straight line, or just steer itself into the car next to you when you floor it. I'd say that's exciting.

That's nor exciting, that's poor design.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Jun 9 2008, 07:27 PM) *
That's nor exciting, that's poor design.

sarcasm - do you speak it? :-D

yeah it's not a great design, but the Viggen Rescue Kit with the steering rack clamp supposedly helps a lot. I sort of like torque steer; it's fun in a perverse way.
Kip_666
My car does it, quite an unusual experiance..
Razor
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Jun 10 2008, 02:17 AM) *
I sort of like torque steer; it's fun in a perverse way.

Do you have enough torque in the Jetta for that? rolleyes.gif
Mr b00st
yeah, when it's a bit damp outside.

more in the SRT-4 with a big turbo I drove a while back, yikes.
fiber optic
A kick to the balls is more exciting than anything listed here.
Martin
Volvo
Lexus
Bmw
Saab

I voted highly personal.
Volvo has the biggest place in my heart, so when I here anything about volvo I get excited.
BMW doesn't get me excited because it's to mainstream in car enthusiast circles, but I won't deny the fact that they are fun to drive.
Lexus is still quite rare in sweden, so I get a little more excited.
Saab, not much excitement there. Everytime I sit or work on a Saab a little peace of my car-soul dies...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.