Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 200-for-200 Club
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
That is, 200 MPH for $200k. There are 4 cars from major manufacturers that are in this ballpark, arranged here in order of increasing number of cylinders. What's your pick?

Porsche 911 GT2
MSRP Range: $191,700
Engine: 3.6 liter twin-turbocharged horizontally-opposed flat-6 with 530 HP and 505 ft.-lbs. of torque
Transmission(s): 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: RWD
Curb Weight: 3175 lbs.
0-60 MPH: 3.6 seconds (Porsche)
Top Speed: 204 MPH (Porsche)
Selected cool features: Variable turbine geometry, launch control, asymmetrical limited-slip differential, dry-sump lubrication, expansion intake manifold, carbon-ceramic brakes, SportChrono Package timing and advanced settings, variable suspension
Some words to make you think: This is the fastest 911 ever built, and it matches the pace of the Carrera GT with significantly more usability for less than half the price. Unlike the 996 GT2, this isn't just a GT3 that's been upset with too much power, nor is it just a Turbo that's twitchier, this really deserves to be called the top of the 911 heap.

Ferrari F430
MSRP Range: $173,079-$234,945
Engine: 4.3 liter V8 with 483 HP and 343 ft.-lbs. of torque
Transmission(s): 6-speed manual or 6-speed paddle-shift
Curb Weight: 3197 lbs.
0-60 MPH: 4.0 seconds (Ferrari)
Top Speed: 196 MPH (Ferrari)
Selected cool features: E-diff electronic differential, ultra-fast available paddle-shift, launch control (outside of North America), manettino that controls traction control, shift times, and diff settings, flat-plane crank, 8500 RPM redline, dry-sump lubrication
Some words to make you think: The mid-engined V8 lineup has come to define Ferrari for a new generation, ever since the days of the 308 GTS. The F430 is the latest evolution of this storied range and, with the GT California on its way, perhaps the last. It dips heavily into concepts from F1 to give a uniquely sharp and technical experience behind the wheel that none of its peers offer. It's also the cheapest car here (at least in base form), as well the only one currently available as a roadster.

Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
MSRP Range: $193,000-$203,400
Engine: 5.2 liter V10 with 552 HP and 398 ft.-lbs. of torque
Transmission(s): 6-speed manual or 6-speed paddle-shift
Drivetrain: AWD
Curb Weight: 3109 lbs.
0-60 MPH: 3.7 seconds (Lamborghini)
Top Speed: 201 MPH (Lamborghini)
Selected cool features: Direct-injection, another available advanced flappy-paddle, all-wheel drive, dry-sump lubrication
Some words to make you think: The Gallardo stormed on the scene in 2003 with jet fighter looks and V10 power, and for 2009 has received its biggest refresh ever. The 2009's V10 is larger, more powerful, and more economical thanks to sharing advancements with the Audi RS6's V10. It looks great and, if the previous 5.0 liter model was any indication, should be able to keep step with the F430 in terms of speed. All-wheel drive is a unique feature in this segment. [bias]Oh, and it sounds better than anything on earth.[/bias]

Aston Martin DBS
MSRP Range: $262,000
Engine: 5.9 liter V12 with 510 HP and 420 ft.-lbs. of torque
Transmission(s): 6-speed manual
Curb Weight: 3737 lbs.
0-60 MPH: 4.3 seconds (Aston Martin)
Top Speed: 191 MPH (Aston Martin)
Selected cool features: Active Damping System, lots of carbon fiber, carbon ceramic brakes
Some words to make you think: Alright so this is the slowest and most expensive car here, but it's arguably the most aggressive and focused road car that Aston Martin has ever built. It's a beautiful thing to behold, it sounds magnificent, and it signals a new era for Aston Martin performance. As cool as the Vanquish was, it was a bit of a truck compared to the competition. Now Aston has made something to take on the best from continental Europe and the world.

moe
1) LP560-4. Never been a fan of Lambos, but they've nailed the aesthetics with this one. It defines sexy, it'll probably be brilliant to drive too.

2) DBS. Looks and sounds glorious. Not as good as it should've been...but still awesome. Best looking interior of the bunch by a mile as well. The only thing they got really, really wrong is that retarded shift knob.

3) 430. Probably the most focused, and sharpest drive, particularly in Scuderia form.

4) GT2. It looks dumb, honestly. I don't care how good it is, I'd just rather have a sexy Carrera S.

EDIT: It's worth noting that I'd take the GT3 RS over any of them anything ever built.
b0mb3r
always been a shameless 911 fanboi; and this case is no exception.
redlinehappiness
1. Lambo
2. GT2
3. F430
4. DBS
clarkma5
1. LP560
I've never been a Lamborghini fan, until the Gallardo arrived. I dunno what it was about it...maybe the fact that it looked a little less angry and a little more tailored and classy. Maybe it was that glorious engine note. Maybe it was its more down-to-earth price point. Maybe it was its more compact size. I dunno, but I've loved it since I first saw it and the LP560 makes me love everything I loved about the Gallardo and love it more.

2. GT2
The GT2 has been the coolest 911 since it was introduced for the 993 generation. Whereas I could walk home on the roofs of Carreras and drown in a sea of Turbos, the GT2 is truly a rare sight. It's subtle enough in person to be a sleeper but has enough cues to really excite whoever's in the know. Its compact, easy-to-use nature really appeals to me, while its smart, mechanical-based innovation impresses me more than any fancy traction control system could. A super-close second with the Lambo.

3. DBS
The first Aston Martin I've really really really liked. While the DB9 is boring to look at, the DBS sprinkles on the right amount of aggression, while retaining that sexy Bond car sleekness. The Vanquish and Vanquish S struck me as both very charismatic but very flawed, while the DBS seems to be a more technically correct vehicle that doesn't abandon its character. If it weren't for the price difference, I might've ranked this higher.

4. F430
Distant fourth compared to the close top 3. The 360, to me, was the pinnacle of modern Ferraris. The 430 is a caricature of what a Ferrari is. Its styling is gimmicky inside and out, the features list seems to cut the driver out of the loop too much, and it's for posers more than anything under the sun IMO. I really strongly dislike this car.
Mitlov
DBS FTW. It stirs me whereas the others don't. And since I'm not a competitive racer, that's all that matters.

In particular, I've never connected with the 911. I know it's considered the holy grail of sports coupes by many people, and I'm sure it's absolutely brilliant to drive, but I simply cannot develop an emotional connection with it.

I'd rank them:
1. DBS
2. F430
3. Gallardo
4. 911
Phix
1. 911 GT2
2. Gallardo LP560-4
3. F430
4. DBS

Normally, I'd pick the Lamborghini over the Porsche, but, I've never really taken that much of a liking to the Gallardo. I'm more of a Murcielago/old style Lambo guy.
dukenukem
1. Pratt & Miller C6RS
2. 911 GT2
3. Ferrari F430
4. Lambo

Come to think of it .. i want me some C6RS Hawt.gif

cool.gif
Dr. Strangelove
Ferrari then DBS then Lambo and the Porsche in a distant 4th. To me Porsche has gone too far from what it should be, and only the GT3 RS model really gets me going.
Uwe
1. Porsche GT2
The combination of a daily driver and extremely fast and reliable race car has always attracted me and the GT2 is no exception. You wouldn't think twice about driving to the Nurburgring on its own wheels, doing 10 quick laps there and driving it back to home. That's what Porsche is all about.

2. Ferrari 430
Jeremy Clarkson has named it as "absolutely brilliant" and the engine sound of a Ferrari still defines sexiness. And in contrast to him I would love to drive a car with flappy paddle gearbox - left foot braking is something which made me a lot faster in my preferred simulation GPL and which I want to try at least once in life. But you have to say the sound of a 430 isn't as nice as for instance a 355. And for sure it is not as fast as the GT2.

3. Aston Martin DBS
When I think of Aston Martins I have always the image of a british gentleman car in my head, not too fast but very stylish. This is probably a misconception with the DBS but I guess I have to correct this prejudice in real life during a test drive. wink.gif

4. Lamborghini Gallardo
Lambo, no thanks. It might be a brilliant car but I've heard too much about engine fires, braking rims and general reliability issues (yes, even now with Audi being the owner) to consider it a good car.
Bjorn
1) GT2: I love this car...I see it as the epitome of the Porsche 911...what they have been working toward for almost 45 years (still if it were my dollar I would get the GT3).
2) LP 560-4: It's not as attractive as the Porsche, Ferrari or Aston, but that's part of it's appeal. It's the underdog of this group, and better for it.
3) F430: I've never been a fan of the modern Ferrari, sure they are full of passion, yes they are fast, indeed exclusive, but they don't rub me in that way. The F430 is no exception.
4) DBS: I grew up staring at DB7s in magazines and on AOL online (yes...we has that ISP when I was a kid). I generally love them, but I don't see the value in the DBS...also it's a fat GT car in the company of light (by comparison) sports cars.
mung35
Lamborghini - Hits the holy grail (200) - Looks great and is a lambo!
Porsche - Hits 200, and well I love anything in that body.
Ferrari - Falls short of 200 but still an amazing drive
Aston - Expensive, and can't do 200. Prettiest one though.
duality
i'll take this and some extra change biggrin.gif read on autoblog that the price of the lambo after the goodies (ceramic brakes etc.) amounts to around 250k, reaching 300k.

Mitlov
QUOTE(Bjorn @ May 22 2008, 12:58 PM) *
4) DBS: I grew up staring at DB7s in magazines and on AOL online (yes...we has that ISP when I was a kid). I generally love them, but I don't see the value in the DBS...also it's a fat GT car in the company of light (by comparison) sports cars.

I disagree. I don't think that a GT car inherently has less value than a similarly-priced lightweight sports car. It's a flavor thing. I like mint chip more than rocky road, but that doesn't mean that a pint of rocky road is a bad value.
infinity
1. GT2
2. F430
3. DBS
4. LP560
goota
1. GT2 - Among these choices, the compromises this car makes between reliability/performance/usability seem the most logical choice for me.
2. DBS - Its fat, but it looks/sounds so awesome.
3. F430
4. AIDS
5. LP560 - I cant stand the way I would be looked at in this car. All I think about are douchy movie/music stars.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(dukenukem @ May 22 2008, 01:47 AM) *
1. Pratt & Miller C6RS
2. 911 GT2
3. Ferrari F430
4. Lambo

Come to think of it .. i want me some C6RS Hawt.gif

cool.gif

Who wants to spend 200k on a freaking Corvette C6?
clarkma5
I considered putting the C6RS into the poll but decided that Pratt & Miller is not a major car manufacturer and thus didn't really fit. Really cool car, though. I would've at least put it above the Ferrari.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ May 22 2008, 11:49 PM) *
Who wants to spend 200k on a freaking Corvette C6?

People who want a really unique sports car with Le Mans winning pedigree...
johnny.msyl.25
1. Gallardo
2. GT2
3. DBS
4. F430

It's quite a hard call for me, but the Gallardo LP560-4 is a great car, it's nice looking and it defines Lamborghini (for me). I love the GT2 but this time the Lambo just won my heart by a fraction. The DBS is cool, but if I were given the chance to own an Aston Martin it would be the DB9. I like the 430, but the Lambo and DBS are better looking and the GT2 is faster.
dukenukem
Come to think of it how can anyone justify spending $200k on a poser?
duality
QUOTE(dukenukem @ May 23 2008, 06:33 AM) *

coz most of us live in a dream world where 200k is nothing at all.
clarkma5
QUOTE(dukenukem @ May 23 2008, 07:33 AM) *

It's kinda hard to say these cars are just "posers" because they all, despite their reputations or appearances, do offer very real and amazing performance.
Mitlov
QUOTE(dukenukem @ May 23 2008, 07:33 AM) *

Probably the same way someone justifies a $30,000+ tiny sedan with a hoodscoop large enough to hold a Welsh corgi. Because it's their money and they want it.
dukenukem
It was the 2 wings that sealed the deal for me for your information.
4wheelfreak
F430 by far. Any V8 that produces 483 hp @ 8500 RPM gets my vote!
clarkma5
QUOTE(4wheelfreak @ Jun 2 2008, 09:02 PM) *
F430 by far. Any V8 that produces 483 hp @ 8500 RPM gets my vote!

The Lambo's V10 hits 8500 RPM too, for the record, though its power peak is a little lower.
fiber optic
I went with the Porsche.

However, if I really had 200 large to burn on a car with the intent of going 200 MPH I'd get a Ford GT.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.