Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I don't think it's very pretty.
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Bjorn
Just days after Ferrari launched the teaser site for its new GT, the first full images and details of the Ferrari California have been revealed. Even though the countdown timer on the teaser site still indicates there's a week to go before the next info reveal, the countdown itself is little more than a formality.

Like other modern Ferraris, this one is fabricated from aluminum to keep mass under control. The 460 hp 4.3L V8 is the first from Maranello to use direct injection while following the racing tradition of using a flat-plane crankshaft. This car of firsts also debuts the production application of a dual clutch gearbox from Ferrari. The 7-speed unit is mounted in a rear transaxle configuration and should provide smoother shifting and even better performance than the existing hydraulically-actuated units that Ferrari currently uses. Acceleration to 60 mph should come in under 4.0 seconds.

The California is also Ferrari's first retractable hardtop convertible. From the shape of the hood scoop and headlights to the sweep of the rear fenders and vents behind the front wheels this car obviously draws on the heritage of the original 1960s 250 GT California. At the same time, it's blended with modern Ferrari design elements drawn from the current F430 and 599. We're looking forward to seeing much more of this car over the months leading up to the Paris Motor Show!

I don't think it's very good looking...the rear deck looks awkward as does the character line running up the side, and I'm not a fan of the stacked exhaust outlets (Ferrari copying Lexus?).

I also don't see a need for a folding hardtop, I have always dismissed these as gimmicky and completely unnecessary with all the wonderful soft-tops out there.

Overall I'm kinda disappointed that Ferrari would build this...I've always considered Ferrari to be a company which builds the car it wants to and then says "If you don't like it someone else will buy it". But this car feels to me like something recommended by very boring balding men in matching three piece suits.

EDIT: I've been staring at the pictures now for a little while, and it does have a 599ness about it, in the way that it gets better looking and less strange the more you look at it...
Mitlov
Is this a character from Pixar's Cars II? Because its face is as expressive as Lightning McQueen or Sally Carrera. I don't mind it from the side or rear, but the face is just too cartoonish for a Ferrari.
Phix
Sexiest car ever built.
McKhaos
It's gastly.
moe
It's fucking sexy. Though I'd rather see a conventional soft-top than a retractable hard-top.
hexagone
I'd like to see it with the top up.

It's kinda like with the 599- At first I thought it looked bad and then it grew on me. I can hope the same for this, because its only meh as it is.
hexagone
Also:

I'm not fond of Ferrari having dual rear tail lights instead of the traditional quads. It irks me.
UserDrew
Side profile, front quarters and the front I find attractive but the rear quarter and back just don't grab me. I'd also like to see it with the top up and I hate quad exhausts; they are very riceresque.
clarkma5
I think it's gorgeous. It's got more of a '60s look to it, while not looking retro. So much better than their gimmicky post-360 designs. Too bad the convertible's a hardtop, but the coupe will fix that.
moe
The 430 IS really fussy, but the 599 is gorgeous, and the 612 took some time (as in a few years) but it grew on me.
redlinehappiness
I really really like it. I think its one of those cars that don't look great in photos, but impress you in person.
duality
that is gross...full of weird mis matched shapes and designs. and whats up with those is-f exhausts?
Synesthesia
Oh god folding hardtop. I look forward to the coupe.

Looks okay... Really freakin' busy design.
Diesel
here's my fix.. much better.. that stupid line across the side was killing it.

original

fix
duality
haha are those hammann wheels?

ur chop looks great...simple...which is something that car is missing. plus, gd fix on the exhaust.

btw, alfa 8C > this.
Von Z
Ferrari's design style is so 2002. Looks like every other Ferrari, IMHO.
moe
QUOTE(duality @ May 14 2008, 01:18 AM) *
btw, alfa 8C > this.

Alfa 8C > life itself
DB9
I like it minus the alfa-romeo-esque tailights and lines across the side of the car. its not awful, but it definitely could use improvement.
Diesel
hell.. i think they shoulda just made a Ferrari 599 Convertible. my chop.

Razor
Worse than the Testarossa. Absolute yuck. It's without a doubt a full out magnet for those who can't buy a real Ferrari. I do hope this costs more than an R8 to show how legitimately foolish this thing is. thumbs_down.gif
maxima302
Doubt this will be a "baby" Ferrari. Luca has already said that this car won't be a compromise on price or technology.

The design is certainly strange. Like other people has said, the two things that are of bother are the exhausts and the side character line. Convertibles are for dumb fat Americans anyways... I suppose thats why this car will be called the "California".
Mitlov
QUOTE(maxima302 @ May 13 2008, 06:58 PM) *
Convertibles are for dumb fat Americans anyways... I suppose thats why this car will be called the "California".

You're right. Italians hate convertibles. So do sexy, slim women. rolleyes.gif
clarkma5
QUOTE(maxima302 @ May 13 2008, 06:58 PM) *
Doubt this will be a "baby" Ferrari. Luca has already said that this car won't be a compromise on price or technology.

It's been pretty well discussed in the auto journalism world that the new "baby" Ferrari will cost more than the F430 and and will only become the base-model when the F430 gets the ax in a year or two.

And I can't believe some people hate this so much...weird.
Mitlov
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ May 13 2008, 10:13 PM) *
And I can't believe some people hate this so much...weird.

For the record, I don't hate it. I liked Pixar's Cars a lot and I think that the star of Cars II is pretty good looking wink.gif
Phix
Diesel, your chops ruin the car. That "stupid" line totally makes the side shot of the car.
clarkma5
I also rather strongly dislike Diesel's photoshop.
Mitlov
I think the Ferrari badge he chopped in is bigger than my hand unsure.gif
moe
^ Haha I was gonna say that.

From what I read, the 430 replacement will be an even more focused car, and won't have space in its line-up for a Spider model. Instead there will be two distinct model lines. A mid-engined coupe, focused towards hardcore enthusiasts, and this. Personally, I think it's a good move on Ferrari's part because even as a lover of convertibles, I've always thought the 360 and 430 Spiders were quite awkward looking.
maxima302
QUOTE(moethepaki @ May 14 2008, 01:32 AM) *
^ Haha I was gonna say that.

From what I read, the 430 replacement will be an even more focused car, and won't have space in its line-up for a Spider model. Instead there will be two distinct model lines. A mid-engined coupe, focused towards hardcore enthusiasts, and this. Personally, I think it's a good move on Ferrari's part because even as a lover of convertibles, I've always thought the 360 and 430 Spiders were quite awkward looking.

I even thought the 355 Spiders looked like 3/4th scale cars with the roof chopped of... perhaps its because anyone over 5 foot 8's eyes were looking at the road from above the windshield framing!

In regards to the styling, I suppose the softer edges are more GT-ish and fit the convertible better anyways. I just wouldn't ever buy a convertible anything... except for maybe a DB9 or Vantage.
moe
QUOTE(maxima302 @ May 14 2008, 11:40 AM) *
I even thought the 355 Spiders looked like 3/4th scale cars with the roof chopped of... perhaps its because anyone over 5 foot 8's eyes were looking at the road from above the windshield framing!

It was awkward with the top up, but I thought it looked gorgeous with its top down. It was my dream car for a long time... rolleyes.gif
duality

Ferrari F430 Concept by Luca Serafini

I like the designs a lot biggrin.gif
moe
That is actually very good looking. I think it's lacking in Ferrari DNA though, and the front seems too long for a mid-engined car.
duality
it's got more maserati in it imo.
Bjorn
QUOTE(moethepaki @ May 15 2008, 08:24 AM) *
That is actually very good looking. I think it's lacking in Ferrari DNA though, and the front seems too long for a mid-engined car.

I've been asking myself, since I saw these renders; "What is Ferrari DNA?"

The cars of the 60's were miles different from the cars of the 50's...ditto for the 70's, 80's 90's and today.

The top tier Ferrari was a front engined V12 coupe in the late 60's early 70's, which was replaced by the mid-engined 512BB. This was a massive departure, and was continued by the Testarossa. Following the 512 (the last iteration of the Testarossa) Ferrari went back to the front engined V12 with the 550, 575 and now the 599.

The story is currently being repeated with the V8's, after decades of mid engined V8 cars (308, 328, 348, 355, 360, 430) Ferrari is switching it up and replacing the F430 (assuming the information that the F430 replacement will move upmarket and the GT California will be Ferrari's new car at it's price point is correct) with a front engined Coupe/Cabrio.

Furthermore, while many of the cars I mentioned above can be called evolutions of one another, all were unashamedly modern for their time, and completely forward looking. IMHO Ferrari, until now has been a company which, while it certainly has a strong history, has never let that history preventing them from making the best car they know how to make. From what I can see from these renders the GT California looks backward to Ferrari's past...something which is very new for the company...you could almost call it retro.

I think that is what irks me about the car. Lots of time spent looking at it has convinced me that it isn't bad looking-it's actually quite pretty from some angles-but I don't think it moves Ferrari onward in terms of styling...

Furthermore I am having trouble getting over the fact that this car seems to be a Ferrari version of the SLK55...

NOTE: I hope this makes sense...I have been trying to figure out how to word my thoughts for a few days. They might be silly...if so I'm sorry.

EDIT, Moe: I know your post was in reference to the F430 renders...The DNA part just got me thinking.
moe
I'm 100% sure that this will still be just as technology packed, and just as sharp a driving experience as any other modern Ferrari. Therein will lie the DNA. It's got an old-school appeal, but it's clearly not retro style-wise. Also, lets not forget that Ferrari has yet to reveal the roof, which could be one of the technological aces it has up its sleeve.
tune
It looks more like a 599 than a 430 to me.
Mitlov
QUOTE(tune @ May 16 2008, 06:03 AM) *
It looks more like a 599 than a 430 to me.

Having the engine in front of the driver can certainly do that...
hexagone
Here's something interesting. One of my friends (business major blah blah) said that this car could be a response to the declining car market, and the looming recession.

"so what are you going to do with your refund check"

"Oh I don't know, that new California Ferrari looks neat..."
maxima302
QUOTE(hexagone @ May 16 2008, 01:27 PM) *
Here's something interesting. One of my friends (business major blah blah) said that this car could be a response to the declining car market, and the looming recession.

HAHA right....
duality
apparently the original is quite worthy...of a record $10m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/19/1961-fe...ord-10-894-900/
Mitlov
QUOTE(hexagone @ May 16 2008, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(maxima302 @ May 19 2008, 02:35 AM) *
HAHA right....

Right. Because we all know that sales of luxury and exotic cars increase when the economy takes a downturn...(yes that is a pool of sarcasm).
Synesthesia
I just realized how much the front looks like the 7th gen Celica. Damn, that sucks. The original is gorgeous!
mechguy
Hi there, its been a week since my last post. quite interested in this laugh.gif "Californication" biggrin.gif thing. Some says they called it Ferrari "Dino"? Anyway, Love the nose, not so certain sure about the other parts (even though I'd like to see it with the top up before settling on my final comment). It definitely is fussier than you'd expect for a Ferrari, but I'm going to wait to totally pass judgment until more pictures come out this coming day.
moe
QUOTE(mechguy @ May 24 2008, 08:59 AM) *
Some says they called it Ferrari "Dino"?

There were rumors it would be badged a Dino rather than a Ferrari, of course, that's clearly not the case.
moe

Bjorn
Do you think designers are intentionally giving these cars face like features, or if it's more of a result of the current trends in design?
tune
A bit of both I think.
Bjorn
Ferrari has now released some images with the top up.

Much better looking IMHO.
clarkma5
Best looking hardtop convertible out there, top up or down. I hope the folding hardtop doesn't pre-empt a proper berlinetta, though.
Diesel
Top up is WAYYY better. looks like a proper Ferrari.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.