Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Apology and Update
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Off Topic
Pages: 1, 2, 3
NewJordan
First I'd like to apologize for all my past stupidity.

Secondly, I'd like to share with you my car. Same car that I bought a few years ago. However, I've spent a few thousand bucks and uncountable hours on her. I am in my first car show this Saturday in Portland, OR at IPD. IPD is a Volvo parts manufactorer.

The car is not done, I am in the midsts of building a higher performance engine for it.
A B230FT (2.3 liter Fuel Injected Turbocharged engine) in place of the B21FT (2.1 same same). Its getting fuel managment from a 1988 Volvo 740 Turbo, a large (3x12x31) intercooler, a Mitsubishi TDO4HL-15G turbocharger (came on Volvo 850 turbo cars), a blow off valve...mostly for cool sounds, Hallman manual boost controller, stronger clutch and pressure plate.

The block was bored out to OS2 (.60 overstock), brand new Mahle pistons, the larger 13mm thick Volvo rods, all new bearings, seals, all balanced. IPD camshaft and adjustable cam gear, Blitz turbo timer and a bunch of other stuff. I have Mustang 5.0V8 fuel injectors for it also known as "browntops". I am using a Walbro fuel pump that is meant for Turbo/Supercharged Mustangs, and MSD 6BTM.

As far as suspension goes, I installed Bilstein HD gas struts and shocks, as well as B+G lowering springs. Then I scored some IPD anti-sway bars for a killer deal.

Appearance wise I cut those lowering springs a bunch to lower it more, bought a set of 2003 Volvo S80 wheels (look HORRIBLE on that car, but I love them on mine), got a hold of a rear window louver, a European plate, and fog lights.

Interior, I took out all the tan stuff (YUCK!) and got what I thought was black carpet, but really turned out being dark dark dark blue. I also got some bucket type seats, same situation with the blue, a really good condition black dash board, center console, door panels, rear parcel shelf, A/B/C pillar covers. Some of the parts weren't available to me in black, so I painted them with SEM vynil paint, including the rear leather seat.

The last two were taken with my cellphone, so they are a little grainy.
Asher
I don't know who you are, but I've heard that you had a super cool special car before. Anyway, I like this one a lot, the wheels are great.

(Go Swedish turbos!)
NewJordan
:slowjunk: Haha that used to be an emoticon for my car...
fiber optic
I always liked your project ride. I don't know what the history was about either but I am pleased to see your return and an update on the brick.
dukenukem
Get rid of the ricetastic cut springs. If you are doing a build do it right wink.gif
Rest of the stuff looks great smile.gif
moe
Lookin' good man, can't say that I like the rims, but other than that it's pretty cool.
UserDrew
Haha, he came back to make us eat our words. It seems you've put a lot of money into making an uncool POS into something that looks and seemingly runs quite well. +1 for the Manual also. I can't think of an manual Volvo's I have seen.
NewJordan
QUOTE(dukenukem @ May 13 2008, 03:28 PM) *
Get rid of the ricetastic cut springs. If you are doing a build do it right wink.gif
Rest of the stuff looks great smile.gif

Well the only coilover options for the car are either home built stuff, or $2000 short strut coil overs. I don't have the money for that seeing as I am building a motor.

One thing at a time. The car handles great though. It has upgraded struts so its not very bouncy, and big thick sway bars with polyeurethane(sp?) bushings. It rides nice.

QUOTE(UserDrew @ May 14 2008, 12:50 AM) *
Haha, he came back to make us eat our words. It seems you've put a lot of money into making an uncool POS into something that looks and seemingly runs quite well. +1 for the Manual also. I can't think of an manual Volvo's I have seen.

You should really research some high horsepower Volvos... There are quite a few with manuals, not to mention Holset HX35W turbochargers, LSD, roll cages, drag tires, BBS LMs, 650hp motors etc...
hexagone
You know what you should do? Fill those wheel wells some more...

With my wheels wink.gif

Of course they're for sale... smile.gif
moe
Hex, you are the ultimate Sharon.
Phix
Hex, everything belonging to you is for sale if the price is right. The clothes on your very back, your carpeting in your room, even the paint bonded to your wall.
Razor
Now how much are you selling your V-Card for?
redlinehappiness
QUOTE(Razor @ May 14 2008, 06:30 PM) *
Now how much are you selling your V-Card for?

chicken sandwich and waffle fries.
Phix
QUOTE(redlinehappiness @ May 14 2008, 07:22 PM) *
chicken sandwich and waffle fries.

That sounds really good actually...
Razor
QUOTE(Phix @ May 14 2008, 09:07 PM) *
That sounds really good actually...

Have you seriously not seen that? Phix, the connoisseur of all things internet hasn't seen Unforgiveable?
hexagone
QUOTE(Phix @ May 14 2008, 03:29 PM) *
Hex, everything belonging to you is for sale if the price is right. The clothes on your very back, your carpeting in your room, even the paint bonded to your wall.

That is so utterly true.
NewJordan
Are those wheels 5X108? What offset?
hexagone
Size: 15 x 7

Offset: -13 mm

Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4.75 (5 x 120.65mm ~ BMW spacing)
Bjorn
Hex, if you ever get a nice set of 15" 5x100's I would love to see them...
hexagone
Adapters, yo.
NewJordan
What brand wheels are they? I love them.
Bjorn
QUOTE(hexagone @ May 15 2008, 04:00 PM) *
Adapters, yo.

Where would I get a set of adaptors? I have a friend who has a garage full of BMW wheels from an E36 (which is 5x120)...He says he'll give me a set.

Are they safe?
duality
jordan who?
Benny
jordan
dukenukem
QUOTE(Bjorn @ May 15 2008, 02:37 PM) *
Hex, if you ever get a nice set of 15" 5x100's I would love to see them...

nasioc.com ? wait are these for your wrx?
Bjorn
For my Impreza yes...
dukenukem
nasioc.com is your best bet simply for the fact that you will know if the wheels will clear your brakes or not.
Kip_666
QUOTE(Asher @ May 12 2008, 02:33 PM) *
(Go Swedish turbos!)

People are seeing the light!
At least 3 turbo sweeds on the forum atm.
NewJordan
A rather large update. I get closer to completion every day.

These pictures were taken a few hours ago on my cellphone, forgot my camera at home.

Installed the browntop injectors, started making the AN lines, made the wastegate bracket for the relocked turbocharger.

Here are some better pictures from a week ago with less completed.

Benny
vrroooom psst

get that shit tuned properly or it will be not so pretty real quick
NewJordan
I was just gonna run it with no wastegate, on 87 gas with the timing advanced as far as it'll go. I didnt even adjust the valves and I am not really sure about the timing belt...

Oh well! I'll just throw her in!

I have taken about every precaution possible. Its hand built by me. The only tuning its capable of is timing and simple idle adjustment and boost level... Its getting a stock ECU for the engine... its not some bananas motor... I'll be fine.

It'll stay pretty for years.

rolleyes.gif
fiber optic
Are the AN fittings difficult to assemble? I was thinking about using them on my VW instead of stupid hose clamps on ratty hose. Also what distributor is that? Looks like a Bosch.
Benny
bosch is german for BOOM
fiber optic
QUOTE(Benny @ Jul 15 2008, 07:29 AM) *
bosch is german for BOOM

On the old aircooled VWs their distributors are pretty much bulletproof.
NewJordan
No the hoses are easy to assemble with the AN hose ends. There are tutorials all over the internet. You must have a bench vise. If you don't, it will be extreeeeeeeemly hard. However I am not sure how you'd use them instead of hose clamps? Especially on a radiator hose... There are the cheap knock off ones that people use for that sort of thing, you might be getting them confused with this stuff.

It is a Bosch. Its the stock vacuum advance distributor for a 1982 Volvo 240 Turbo
fiber optic
QUOTE(NewJordan @ Jul 15 2008, 08:32 PM) *
No the hoses are easy to assemble with the AN hose ends. There are tutorials all over the internet. You must have a bench vise. If you don't, it will be extreeeeeeeemly hard. However I am not sure how you'd use them instead of hose clamps? Especially on a radiator hose... There are the cheap knock off ones that people use for that sort of thing, you might be getting them confused with this stuff.

It is a Bosch. Its the stock vacuum advance distributor for a 1982 Volvo 240 Turbo

I've got access to a bench vise so no problem there. I was going to ditch the banjo bolts on my carburetors and get the appropriate AN adapters. The fuel pump and tank connections may be a wrench in the gears to my plan or maybe I'll just upgrade there as well.

My car does not use a radiator. biggrin.gif
NewJordan
I dont know why but my brain read "rad" hose when I skimmed your post. And yes that would work. But I must warn you, these type of fittings take up a lot more room than banjo bolts.

Buuuut I finished the lines today and mounted the turbo for good. And I used a better camera.

fiber optic
How much longer until it's installed? This should be a whole lot of fun.
NewJordan
Well I am in the middle of rebuilding the wiring. I got a harness that was thought to be in good condition, but on arrival... not so much. I also had to move a few things around in the harness. I got the harness from a N/A 240 that ran on the same, albeit N/A version of the engine managment system I am running. I had to relocate where the AMM wires went, and install some resistor packs inline with the injectors. N/A's use low voltage injectors, but I am running high voltage injectors and they need some resistance in there...

So I am in the middle of boring stuff. Should be about 3 weeks though. I ordered the MSD 6AL and coil yesterday, all I need left is clutch parts, and a walbro. After that I have to put er in, then take measurments for the new fuel line. I am getting rid of Volvos DUMB inline pump/accumulator and just putting a 255lph walbro in the tank so I have to get new fuel lines.

But its coming together nicely...
NewJordan
I am putting it in starting this weekend Fiber...
Benny
im excited!
vids are needed
fiber optic
QUOTE(Benny @ Aug 13 2008, 09:05 AM) *
im excited!
vids are needed

videos are required
Benny
Raspberry.gif thanks dad
NewJordan
Some pictures of the engine before she goes in tomorrow after work! Sorry for the blur, I was trying to leave work fast today.

And the pile-o-parts

Benny
excitttting!
NewJordan
Gettin there! Slowly but surely...

moe
What's that in the background?
NewJordan
My buddies Volvo. Its a wagon, only thing special about it now is the paint but he has plans for a motor.
turbobrick
Get some spacers for the rear, your rear wheels, just like every volvo 240, are horribly sunk in.
NewJordan
Small update. It runs, but poorly. Needs to be tuned in among other things.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.