Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '09 Honda Fit or Used Subaru WRX 5-door
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
krazykohla
My fiance, Adam, had recently ran into some trouble with his '95 Ford Mustang GT involving the engine and/or transmission. After some long and hard deliberation, we've decided to put the money in for a transmission-rebuild and some engine fixes. Whilest deliberating, Adam and I were looking into possible car choices for the future. For some bizarre reason, the two cars we narrowed it down to were the '09 Honda Fit and the Subaru WRX 5-door.

The used WRX 5-door came to mind first, because it's inevitable that we will get a dog someday and Adam has an obvious need-for-speed. The trouble with the WRX is that it requires premium fuel, is used so will have a higher rate and possible car troubles early on, and is worse on gas than the Fit. Because we will still have my Si once we get married, the fact that we already have a fast car also makes me stray from the idea of speed and power over great gas mileage and reliability.

It was tempting when we ran into a 2006 limited edition WRX 5-door with the leather and sun-roof for around $21K. Damn that was a hard car to pass up. Sadly, our price range is under $20K as of now.

The Fit, on the other hand, is just as good for a dog if not better (in terms of cargo space), gets great mileage, and is reliable. It may not be the quickest off the line or have the AWD like the WRX, but it will handle just fine in the snow. They're coming out with a plug-in Navigation System that can also be added, and even though the Fit Sport doesn't have performance upgrades, it does have optional paddle shifters, nicer wheels, and an upgraded sound system (just to name a few options).

To sum it up, here are some pros and cons of the two in our eyes:

WRX:
-Speedy, Sporty, AWD
-Great for Dog
-Premium Fuel
-Used (May be questionable source)
-Cheaper (Most likely older than 2005)

Fit:
-Slower but more practical, FWD
-Great for Dog, great cargo space
-Regular Fuel
-Great Gas Mileage
-Brand New
-More expensive

Sorry if this post is hard to understand...it's 1:33 in the morning, but I've wanted to post this up for a while (and keep forgetting). Adam and I are up for any other suggestions.

mung35
Get a low-mileage 04+ WRX!
McKhaos
Scoobaru.
dukenukem
Is your fiance a panzy? The answer to the above poll depends entirely on your answer to this question.
darinzon
haha
Synesthesia
Oh come on, they've already got a Mustang GT and a Civic Si, they don't need another boy racer. Get the Fit, you'll be happier in the long run. You should also test drive the Matrix.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Mar 21 2008, 09:06 AM) *
Oh come on, they've already got a Mustang GT and a Civic Si, they don't need another boy racer. Get the Fit, you'll be happier in the long run. You should also test drive the Matrix.

Do you have any idea just how slow the Fit is?
Bjorn
My friends have an '07 fit, with a manual...it's not the world's fastest car...but it's peppy and fun to drive.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Mar 21 2008, 10:07 AM) *
Do you have any idea just how slow the Fit is?

I looked it up...it has ~9 sec 0-60. Okay, that's pretty damn slow, but that's the same that my car does and I'm not depressed every time I get in. Okay, maybe I'm a little depressed, but if I had another car that was faster, I wouldn't care, that's not unlivable slow. You're spoiled and detached from reality, you drive an STi tongue.gif

Also, didn't older Matrixes (haha sp?) have AWD available?
dukenukem
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Mar 21 2008, 09:37 AM) *
I looked it up...it has ~9 sec 0-60. Okay, that's pretty damn slow, but that's the same that my car does and I'm not depressed every time I get in. Okay, maybe I'm a little depressed, but if I had another car that was faster, I wouldn't care, that's not unlivable slow. You're spoiled and detached from reality, you drive an STi tongue.gif

0 to 100 mph from a standstill on a highway on ramp sure is fun DS_Naughty2.gif
krazykohla
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Mar 21 2008, 07:06 AM) *

That was exactly our logic for bringing a Fit into the equation. We're keeping the Mustang GT no matter what as our project car, and I'll most likely have the Civic Si for quite a while. In the long run, the Fit was looking like it would save us a ton of money.

And as for the Matrix, I like the style of it more than the Fit and would LOVE to check one out, but Adam dislikes them for some bizarre reason.

QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Mar 21 2008, 07:37 AM) *

I do agree that a slow 0-60 is a pain in the ass (Trust me, I had a Ford Probe before my Si, and the max speed I got up to by the end was closer to 40 mph). It would be slightly depressing, but when we're having a don't-drive-the-fit day, we can always fall back on the Mustang and Si.

The other factor in the equation is that we're planning on getting a house pretty soon (that means minimal fundage for luxuries). If we even can afford a car, the Fit would make more sense because the gas mileage and reliability would benefit us more when it comes to finances. My first choice out of these two cars was like "SUBARU! SUBARU! WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT A HONDA FIT?!???," but then I sat down and thought about it, and the Fit seems like it would be more beneficial to us. We've already got two fast cars, why do we need another?! If you've ever went to a dealer to look at a Fit, they're actually pretty nice. The cabin space, front and back, can fit a 6'+ person easily and then there's the hatch in the back. The cabin is also pretty nice for a cheaper-built car. It may be slow, but those paddle shifters sound like fun.
clarkma5
For "under $20k" you can get your pick of practically any used WRX you want. If your budget was under $15k I'd say not to, but for $18k+ you can get a 2004 or 2005 with very very reasonable mileage, no problem.
moe
Honestly, you guys already have two toys. Go for something cheap, and secondhand that suits your needs; perhaps a Focus wagon. This way you'll still get something mildly fun to drive, practical, and it won't eat into your budget for the house you plan to get. I think the house should be your first priority, considering you already have two cars. Just my two cents.
skr
Don't forget to compare insurance costs between the two cars.
krazykohla
I really appreciate your help, guys. When the time comes to get another car (Most likely when we're both in secure jobs), I'll keep you guys updated. biggrin.gif Who knows, maybe it'll be something better!
Mitlov
If it was your only car, I'd say WRX in a heartbeat. But like others have said, since you already have a Mustang GT and a Civic Si, I think a practical, refined, ultra-fuel-efficient car would actually be a really good choice. I'd suggest the Fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.