Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wallpaper browsing
Dieselstation Car Forums > Forum Issues > Issues & Suggestions
clarkma5
Whoa whoa whoa ketan; now if you want to look at a picture you have to be redirected to another page with more ads that has the image embedded into it (artificially resized by the website, no less, so it looks like crap?) This is horrible; how are we supposed to mass download new updates? Or would you rather we just not look at your wallpapers at all anymore?
Dieselstation
Based on the stats of site, I think the users browse the wallpapers they like and then save the ones they prefer. Not sure if anyone was downloading all of those wallpapers in one shot! I agree, that the re-directed page needs a re-work and I will do it soon along with the front page. I am considering the inputs I got from you guys and will update it over couple of weeks. Just haven't able to find time to fix this.

The reason why I re-size preserving the aspect ratio is that more than 70% of the visitors have lower screen resolutions (1024x768, 1280x1024). If I show the full image inside the page then it is difficult for those users as they have to scroll around. IE or firefox would also resize the image when you try to view the image alone, and the way its done currently is same as the browser re-sizing with difference that its done within the page.

There's another reason why I had to do this way. There were people who were scrapping the entire site on regular basis. I don't mind people download just new updates one shot but the other people who scrap the content away are causing real grief (more bandwidth usage and slowing the site). As we don't have watermarks on our wallpapers, they download all the stuff and give no credit to work that Diesel had done or I am doing. Sometimes, it happens that due to some bad people, good people have to suffer.

Let me know your feedbacks.
clarkma5
Every new update (at least, the ones I want to have, which are at least half of them), I go and I download every single image from that update and save it locally.

I know people who mass-download seem like a bitch, but the fact of the matter is that if I put it on my hard-drive, I'm only going to use your bandwidth once, instead of coming back again and again. And I'll be happier in the process. At the very least, make there be a direct download link (like, you can click the image to take you to the resized version, but you can click the resolution below it to just give you the jpeg).

Also, as for the resize thing...most people's browsers will resize jpegs so they fit in their resolution anyway, if they want it to. Personally I hate that with a passion so I turn mine off but it's on in IE by default and I'm not forcing anyone else to turn theirs off.

I mean, you've basically admitted that you're trying to make it harder for people to look at wallpapers to save you money. I mean, c'mon ketan...customer service has to count for something here. We know that Dieselstation makes buckets more money than it costs and you've only added more ads since we've heard any numbers.
Cyclone
Shh clarkma, no negative criticism!

I don't like this new wallpaper layout either. I notice the wallpapers are conveniently surrounded by ads however. :shrug:
Synesthesia
I don't have anything to add, but hasn't it been this way for at least a couple weeks? huh.gif

EDIT: Oh, and if we're worried about people having to scroll about to see the whole photo, then why is there a huge block of adds on the left side?
Razor
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Feb 7 2008, 03:56 PM) *
EDIT: Oh, and if we're worried about people having to scroll about to see the whole photo, then why is there a huge block of adds on the left side?

That is the real question, isn't it? rolleyes.gif
clarkma5
For what it's worth, I'm not trying to bitch about ads, just functionality. I would complain about this new arrangement for the wallpapers even if there were no ads next to the pictures.
Dieselstation
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 7 2008, 04:56 PM) *
I know people who mass-download seem like a bitch, but the fact of the matter is that if I put it on my hard-drive, I'm only going to use your bandwidth once, instead of coming back again and again. And I'll be happier in the process. At the very least, make there be a direct download link (like, you can click the image to take you to the resized version, but you can click the resolution below it to just give you the jpeg).

Also, as for the resize thing...most people's browsers will resize jpegs so they fit in their resolution anyway, if they want it to. Personally I hate that with a passion so I turn mine off but it's on in IE by default and I'm not forcing anyone else to turn theirs off.

I mean, you've basically admitted that you're trying to make it harder for people to look at wallpapers to save you money. I mean, c'mon ketan...customer service has to count for something here. We know that Dieselstation makes buckets more money than it costs and you've only added more ads since we've heard any numbers.

When I said about bandwidth, I talked about people scrapping the site. What you are mentioning is using the site for good reason and I welcome that, as that is what the site is for. We are not going overlimit for bandwidth so it is not costing me any extra penny. I am trying to discourage people from scrapping the site content.

Majority of the people won't download all the wallpapers, they will look at the ones they like and save them. Thinking that I have implemented this approach. But again, as I said earlier, I will consider your feedbacks when I update the site.
clarkma5
Fix it soon I want those new Challenger pics sad.gif
clarkma5
*cough cough* Helllloooo, friendly reminder here.
Synesthesia
What is wrong with this picture?

WackoWizard
is that phothoshoped?
Dieselstation
I really haven't got the time around yet, even to put on the updates. I logged on the site after few days today. I have to handle another thing before I can get to this one, so please be patient. Synethesia, I think the pic you posted is photoshoped. It shouldn't happen in real.
Razor
QUOTE(Dieselstation @ Feb 16 2008, 05:21 PM) *
I really haven't got the time around yet, even to put on the updates. I logged on the site after few days today. I have to handle another thing before I can get to this one, so please be patient. Synethesia, I think the pic you posted is photoshoped. It shouldn't happen in real.

Why don't you appoint someone who understands web design and Joomla to make these changes?
Synesthesia
QUOTE(WackoWizard @ Feb 15 2008, 10:51 PM) *
is that phothoshoped?

QUOTE(Dieselstation @ Feb 16 2008, 05:21 PM) *

Well you thought wrong and it did happen fo rizzle. I just took a screenshot of my browser.
Dieselstation
Just an update, I have updated the frontpage as well as the wallpaper browsing. Let me know what you think of the front page. I have gone back to the previous layout with some changes.

For wallpaper browsing, log on the site and then you would get the direct link to image in the dimensions (1600x1200 or 1920x1200). Still the other part for wallpaper browsing is remaining to be done, which will be done over the few days.
Synesthesia
What has changed by on the image pages? They still load the same way for me logged in or not. I don't really understand, did you have one of those obnoxious redirect full page adds? I never got hit with anything like that before... I would also just say the profile settings box should be at the top somewhere.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Dieselstation @ Feb 28 2008, 05:29 PM) *
For wallpaper browsing, log on the site and then you would get the direct link to image in the dimensions (1600x1200 or 1920x1200). Still the other part for wallpaper browsing is remaining to be done, which will be done over the few days.

I don't understand what you mean by this. I'm not finding any direct links to jpegs from the thumbnail pages.
Dieselstation
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 29 2008, 06:10 AM) *
I don't understand what you mean by this. I'm not finding any direct links to jpegs from the thumbnail pages.

Only logged-in users will be able to get direct link to the image. After you login on the site, when you click on either '1600x1200' or '1920x1200' beneath any image, you will get direct image, but if you click on the image, then still you would be directed to the page with the image in it.
clarkma5
Well that's stupid. I don't even think I have a site login.
Dieselstation
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 24 2008, 04:44 PM) *
Well that's stupid. I don't even think I have a site login.

well, then its time for you to get an account. You requested a direct link to image and it is there, all you have to do is register.
clarkma5
None of the direct image links work for the Audis, at least not for the Q5 and R8 V12.
Dieselstation
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 24 2008, 10:38 PM) *
None of the direct image links work for the Audis, at least not for the Q5 and R8 V12.

I just checked and it is working. You got to click on the dimensions '1920x1200' or '1600x1200' beneath the image not on the image itself. The reason why I have done is this way is because when some one clicks on image, I am able to give them the link to that image for posting in the forums. So if some one wants the image directly then he has to click on the image dimensions.
Phix
So, out of curiosity what are you doing with the registration information on the main page? I noticed there's no disclaimer or privacy assurance agreement when you sign up for the main page. Essentially, you can do whatever you want with the provided information.
Dieselstation
QUOTE(Phix @ Apr 24 2008, 10:57 PM) *
So, out of curiosity what are you doing with the registration information on the main page? I noticed there's no disclaimer or privacy assurance agreement when you sign up for the main page. Essentially, you can do whatever you want with the provided information.

If you go to the bottom of the site, there's a link for privacy policy which I put in place a while back when I took over the site and here's the link http://www.dieselstation.com/privacy.html. Hope that answers your concerns.
clarkma5
Images numbered 2 through 9 (there is no 1) in the CTS-V (2009) category are of the previous 2004 model.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.