Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front page
Dieselstation Car Forums > Forum Issues > Issues & Suggestions
Cyclone
The front page looks horrible with everything located on the right. Even worse is the ads breaking up the menu sections. You see several ads before you even see the menu, I think that's just poor taste. thumbs_down.gif
Synesthesia
I agree. I never understand why everything was moved to one side. It's just a disorganized jumble of ads, links, and "it is big fast car". Can't "search" and "log in" be moved to the top or something? Isn't "main menu" redundant? What is the point in "automotive resources"?
Razor
Also, the navbar has been disaligned with the theme ever since the ads were added.
Synesthesia
Heh, I found this: http://www.dieselstation.com/oldArchive.html by way of the link at the bottom of the page...that was a nice site. wink.gif
Razor
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Jan 27 2008, 11:14 AM) *
Heh, I found this: http://www.dieselstation.com/oldArchive.html by way of the link at the bottom of the page...that was a nice site. wink.gif

sad.gif

That's what it looked like when I first joined.
Dieselstation
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Jan 26 2008, 08:37 PM) *
The front page looks horrible with everything located on the right. Even worse is the ads breaking up the menu sections. You see several ads before you even see the menu, I think that's just poor taste. thumbs_down.gif

Cyclone, I appreciate your criticism. However, here are the reasons why the changes were done.

Menus were shifted on one side, so I could have space for putting on the advertisement and organise things in a "better" way. I have got feed back from many users who have appreciated the re-design. Moreover, I didn't like the way the things were earlier with menus floating around on both sides and content in middle and felt it was horrible.

You see one advertisement before the menus and that is perfectly acceptable and doesn't bother the user. I have been monitoring the type of ads displayed on the side to avoid the ones that are franatically flashing and the useless ads. If you don't like the re-design & ads that doesn't mean its a poor taste!! Its a revenue stream for me and I do it the way its not bothering the users.

Can you guys actually say something good instead of always nagging on small things?? The site has been super fast since the changes, its handling much more users, less downtime! Try to give some positive feedback too!!
skr
QUOTE(Dieselstation @ Jan 28 2008, 05:50 AM) *
Can you guys actually say something good instead of always nagging on small things?? The site has been super fast since the changes, its handling much more users, less downtime! Try to give some positive feedback too!!

That's like bragging about not having traffic violations on your record, never going to jail, or being able to show up to work everyday on time. Those are things that are supposed to be happening, and the results should speak for themselves. You don't need us to feed your ego by saying "oh the site runs good" when it was supposed to in the first place.

Besides, what good is feedback if you don't hear the negative? And better yet, if your intention is to maximize revenue, then who gives a crap about what others think of the layout?
clarkma5
And ketan reveals his true colors...

I haven't used the front page since the layout change because it is just repugnant.
Cyclone
At least you're not trying to hide the fact that you're attempting to milk as much money from the website as possible by excessive amounts of advertisements in key locations of the site where other things should be, such as menus. Next I'm sure you'll have the big ass full page ads that display before you even get to see the site, the ones that say "Click to continue".

I'd like to see some of the user feedback saying the front page looks better now because I can only imagine the only thing complimenting it is your bank account.

I understand the need to make a profit from your investment but you need to accept your users criticism and try to improve instead of saying "Thats fine, I like it this way, blow me" and pissing off your user base. It's not possible to please everyone, I know that, but it seems like you could care less if you please nobody else but yourself.
Razor
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Jan 28 2008, 04:08 PM) *
I'd like to see some of the user feedback saying the front page looks better now because I can only imagine the only thing complimenting it is your bank account.

Wow. Owned. thumbs_up.gif
NorthPoint
I don't see the ads so I can't really comment on those but I would have to agree that the site looked better with the menus split up instead of side by side.

I think it's great that the site is faster, handling more users, and with less downtime but unfortunately this is not something anyone is really going to notice. It's simply the kind of thing you only notice when it's bad.

The 'Car Pictures' link in the footer is interesting. Not sure why you would have that there.
Dieselstation
It isn't that I don't care for the users. If I won't have cared for users then you would have seen junk ads, pop-ups, full page ads and what not. Caring less for user is bad for the site and is going to hurt me only. I am trying to maximize the revenue by keeping ads minimal and not bothering the users.

I have been accepting the criticism and have been improving and fixing things where it has been a valid criticism. In this case, I think its not wrong to have one rectangle ad on the right side above the menus. Moreover, the wallpaper link were never on the frontpage in earlier design, they were only on the subpages. I have put it on there as it is helpful to user. I am still working on re-design as the header pictures are taking away most of the top page space. So once I get something that looks better than what is currently there, I will have to live with the current layout. The car cut-outs are taking away most of the 1-page space, and I need to find a better way to replace it and gain that space, so the ads don't look prominent at lower resolution.

Clarkma, if it were for you then you wouldn't want any ads on the site, but sorry that's not the practical.
Dieselstation
QUOTE(NorthPoint @ Jan 28 2008, 11:01 PM) *
The 'Car Pictures' link in the footer is interesting. Not sure why you would have that there.

The old site (prior to March 2006 re-design) still exists and is bringing in quite a few visitors, but the traffic was trailing down, so I put the link at the bottom there for search engines to feed on. Eventually, whenever I will get time, the old section will be ported or modded to the current layout.
NorthPoint
QUOTE(Dieselstation @ Jan 28 2008, 06:51 PM) *
The old site (prior to March 2006 re-design) still exists and is bringing in quite a few visitors, but the traffic was trailing down, so I put the link at the bottom there for search engines to feed on. Eventually, whenever I will get time, the old section will be ported or modded to the current layout.

Interesting.

Something positive... nice to see regular updates. I think Diesel found that to be one of the hardest parts, just keeping the site updated.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Dieselstation @ Jan 28 2008, 03:38 PM) *
Clarkma, if it were for you then you wouldn't want any ads on the site, but sorry that's not the practical.

That's really not true at all. I supported diesel's ads, and I support yours too.

And in terms of the layout, I wasn't talking about ads in particular (though your placement can be improved) but just where things are and what the functionality of the site is.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(Dieselstation @ Jan 28 2008, 06:38 PM) *
I am still working on re-design as the header pictures are taking away most of the top page space. So once I get something that looks better than what is currently there, I will have to live with the current layout. The car cut-outs are taking away most of the 1-page space, and I need to find a better way to replace it and gain that space, so the ads don't look prominent at lower resolution.

rolleyes.gif That's the best part of the front page. I think if anything there should be more pictures added to that "slide show". It's something unique about DS's front page, I can't imagine what getting rid of it would do for the quality of that layout. There, I said something I liked about the site but oh wait, it was Diesel's idea and you're getting rid of it. sad.gif

You can obviously do whatever you want with the site, but I'm going to quit going to the front page. I usually go through it on my way to the forum and check out what you have to post, but I'd rather not support the money making scheme of someone who doesn't even seem like he gives half a shit about cars anyway. There is far better car news many other places.
Cyclone
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jan 28 2008, 07:44 PM) *
That's really not true at all. I supported diesel's ads, and I support yours too.

And in terms of the layout, I wasn't talking about ads in particular (though your placement can be improved) but just where things are and what the functionality of the site is.

That's what I'm trying to get at. The ad placements on the page are just too impractical. It takes away from the design of the site and makes it look trashy.

And I'll half agree with what Synesthesia said above but I'll say it in a more polite, professional manner. Your interest in cars seems to be completely lacking and for the most you're just copy and pasting specs from other sites. I'm not sure what your car knowledge is but from what I can tell, it's very close to zero.
Dieselstation
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jan 29 2008, 12:44 AM) *

Sorry Clarkma, then I misunderstood what you said earlier. Guys, suggest me an improvement for the current layout, I will definitely try to address it.

QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Jan 29 2008, 01:03 AM) *
rolleyes.gif That's the best part of the front page. I think if anything there should be more pictures added to that "slide show". It's something unique about DS's front page, I can't imagine what getting rid of it would do for the quality of that layout. There, I said something I liked about the site but oh wait, it was Diesel's idea and you're getting rid of it. sad.gif

You can obviously do whatever you want with the site, but I'm going to quit going to the front page. I usually go through it on my way to the forum and check out what you have to post, but I'd rather not support the money making scheme of someone who doesn't even seem like he gives half a shit about cars anyway. There is far better car news many other places.

I did say that I will get rid of it but I also mentioned that I will have to replace it with something better which I am not able to find yet, so the car cut-outs are there.

Now this is going the wrong way! Where did I mention I care less for the cars? Actually, I have learned up alot on cars since I bought DS. Everybody starts to learn somewhere and for me it was when I bought the site.
duality
Imo, the front page looks way to cluttered and the ads just distract the users from the objective of the page: wallpapers. I understand that you need to milk money of the site, but that can also be done in a more attractive fashion, that doesn't turn off the users. I rarely visit DS.com, mainly because I just dont like looking at it. Now instead of us bitching at the crapyness of the main page, and lets be honest...that it is, why dont we provide Dieselstation with constructive inputs as to improve it.

Might I suggest expanding the width of the page so that you may have all the content on the left side, and the ads on the right. I dont mind ads as long as they dont interfere with the content; in this case they do. You can have all the ads, running one below each other. Also, what exactly is the point of having 2 menus? Also, it would be an improvement (imo), if you moved the registration menu on the top right in a rectangular fashion. Also, the Latest News section seems redundant since you already have all the cars and photos on the main page already. I dont think users would find something interesting there.

I dunno, the design seems nice...but everything so cluttered that it just isn't easy to follow. Keep the wallpaper menu on left, content in the middle and the ads on the right. Something like this I guess (a rough draft...i suck at PS):

mung35
I have to agree that layout is a bit compromising. Even on my giant resolution (1400x1050) i have to scroll before I see any meat on the menu. As a fellow AdSense Optimizer, I advise you should try a three-column layout. (Menu Left, Content Mid, Search/Additional Ads Right.) I believe that's how it used to be. For example, see my site: http://www.stocktiptrader.com/

The ads are there but they don't interfere with menu and navigation.

While your CTR will be higher as placed at the moment, you do give up a lot on the menu placement. I'd urge against giving up look and feel for the marginal increase in your CTR/eCPM.

PM me or contact me some other way and I can help you with some plug-ins and components for Joomla to make the ads easier to place.
duality
Uh, no offense, but your site has no identity at all. There is a big white space right in the middle, it looks too cold..and a viewer woudlnt have any idea of what the site is..except that its related to 'stocks'.
Diesel
my one request is to fix the navbar at the top. that misaligned verticle space there has been bugging me for a while now.

mung35
QUOTE(duality @ Jan 28 2008, 08:27 PM) *
Uh, no offense, but your site has no identity at all. There is a big white space right in the middle, it looks too cold..and a viewer woudlnt have any idea of what the site is..except that its related to 'stocks'.

That's the nature of the content of the site. Once I get more 'wordy' posts, the content should span the width. Other pages are better since they contain some more information... but I'll look into it.
WackoWizard
QUOTE(duality @ Jan 28 2008, 08:31 PM) *

ROFL, look at the ad that was up at the time duality took the picture. I'm talking about the one in the top right corner.
Razor
QUOTE(WackoWizard @ Jan 30 2008, 01:58 AM) *
ROFL, look at the ad that was up at the time duality took the picture. I'm talking about the one in the top right corner.

I noticed that too laugh.gif
duality
Haha...I put that up deliberately. I actually opened the link...learnt more about my culture lol tongue.gif
mung35
QUOTE(duality @ Jan 30 2008, 06:18 AM) *
Haha...I put that up deliberately. I actually opened the link...learnt more about my culture lol tongue.gif

You're indian, too?
duality
Originally from yes. (Punjab/Delhi) Although I'm in Belgium atm biggrin.gif You?
WackoWizard
QUOTE(duality @ Jan 30 2008, 05:14 PM) *
Originally from yes. (Punjab/Delhi) Although I'm in Belgium atm biggrin.gif You?

ATM? as if you could change. Yah... today i'm gonna be belgium, but i think tommorow i'm gonna be italian. laugh.gif
mung35
QUOTE(duality @ Jan 30 2008, 04:14 PM) *

Born in India. Live in the US.
Vadvagool
QUOTE(WackoWizard @ Jan 30 2008, 05:49 PM) *
ATM? as if you could change. Yah... today i'm gonna be belgium, but i think tommorow i'm gonna be italian. laugh.gif

He said IN Belgium...he can go to another place later...with magical inventions like those flying mobiles and cars...
WackoWizard
Sorry, i misread his post. I thought he said he was belgium atm.
Vadvagool
QUOTE(WackoWizard @ Jan 30 2008, 07:51 PM) *

Fair enough, but in any case, wouldn't that be Belgian?
skr
LOLOL
mung35
QUOTE(WackoWizard @ Jan 30 2008, 07:51 PM) *

He's a guy. Belgium's a country. How did you confuse that?
moe
QUOTE(mung35 @ Feb 1 2008, 04:08 AM) *
He's a guy. Belgium's a country. How did you confuse that?

He's a 12 year-old still working on his edumacation.
duality
Haha...I didnt even see that coming tongue.gif
Razor
clarkma5
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
moe
QUOTE(WackoWizard @ Jan 31 2008, 07:51 AM) *

Yeah Duality is a whole country. I believe the term you're looking for is "Belgian." Spend less time on DS, and more time on your social studies homework.
Razor
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Feb 3 2008, 03:18 PM) *
Yeah Duality is a whole country. I believe the term you're looking for is "Belgian." Spend less time on DS, and more time on your social studies homework.

He's 14. I was in 8th grade when I was that age, and it was US History for me. Either way, stay in school Wacko.
moe
QUOTE(Razor @ Feb 4 2008, 01:36 AM) *
He's 14. I was in 8th grade when I was that age, and it was US History for me. Either way, stay in school Wacko.

True, I just remembered watching The Patriot sometime in class during 8th grade.
911xx

sorry ohdear.gif
Vadvagool
rofl thumbs_up.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.