Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 928
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
moe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YClqEQftcdY

Just when you think you've seen all manner of cars turned into trucks, something no one could have predicted pops up: a Porsche 928 with a bed, and three axles.

Harry Thoma says on the video that he had Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc., but that he wanted something no one could just go out and buy. So he built his Porsche 928-amino. Apparently not once during the two years it took to build this, uh, creation, did anyone put forth enough effort to stop Thoma, even though he says the first cut was rather painful.

An extra axle, and what looks to be diamond plate in the bed added serious weight, so Thoma increased the Porsche's engine from 5.4 to 6.1 liters, which gave the car 40 more horses for a total of 390. He claims the car's performance is therefore retained. The German DOT didn't know if, how or why to certify the car for its roads, so Porsche officials kindly helped get the car an official state blessing.

Thoma says through a translator, "Looking at the final result now, you can see something was accomplished." We sure can't disagree with that.
Uwe
Shoot him in the face.
moe
The sad part is that Porsche helped him get it certified for the road.
WackoWizard
It's really well built but it's ugly as hell. Why oh why!?
Onikozah
This why you don't mess with LSD
johnny.msyl.25
It was a long and sometimes painful journey

Well yeah, it's painful to see a 928 like that. thumbs_down.gif
Synesthesia
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Dec 14 2007, 03:06 PM) *
The sad part is that Porsche helped him get it certified for the road.

Yeah I saw that...what exactly does that mean? This is disgusting, by the way.
Mitlov
Kill it kill it kill it!
Asher
The commentator made me want to shoot myself.
WardLarson
i can confidently say that's one of the worst cars, aesthetically, i've ever seen. it looks so fucking gross and wrong.
b0mb3r
you may disagree with this, but the craftsmanship is amazing! I say thumb up for the guy who had some balls to cut a 928... he even said it himself that taking a grinder to this car was hard at first! thumbs_up.gif
moe
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Dec 16 2007, 07:40 AM) *
you may disagree with this, but the craftsmanship is amazing! I say thumb up for the guy who had some balls to cut a 928... he even said it himself that taking a grinder to this car was hard at first! thumbs_up.gif

No one's questioning the craftsmanship, or the nerve required to such a thing. The problem here lies with the actual product. It's utterly tasteless. I remember seeing a crazy Buick custom of some sort in Popular Hot Rodding. It started life as a well-maintained classic, and by the time the owner was done with it, it was hot-rod wagon. That guy took apart a car of perhaps more value, and came up with a beautiful finished product made to the highest standard. So yes, I agree that it's some top notch work, and that there need to be more guys like the Harry Thoma, but he needs to put his drive and skill towards something less revolting. Maybe he should've done a 928 shooting brake. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Dec 15 2007, 10:40 PM) *

I love how this guy talks like he's such an "enthusiast" oh how it pained him to cut up a 928. The guy's just a fucking moron.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.