Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holden VE SS 'Ute
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Cool
Mitlov
Based on the Holden Commodore SS sport sedan, this is a modern-day El Camino. It makes 362 horsepower from a 6.0L V8 and puts the power through the rear wheels. There's room for a motorcycle helmet behind your seat and a couple of dirtbikes in back. Zero to 60 in 5.6 seconds, and a quarter-mile in 13.8 seconds. Unfortunately, it appears to only come with a six-speed auto.

EDIT: The Edmunds test made it sound auto-only, but Holden's website says you can get it with a six-speed manual as well.

The colors are "eye-catching," to say the least:

More images here:
http://www.netcarshow.com/holden/2007-ve_ute_ss_v/

Test-drive here:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=123602
Razor
I don't like it. Sure it's powerful and fast, but that's not what the cool wall is about. I think it's a ridiculous concept, just like the El Camino, but it still only gets an "Uncool" from me.

Oh yeah, and +1 on the chosen disgustingly uncool title.
clarkma5
I fucking love Utes. They look so damned cool, and they're like...practical and a little redneck, but also a performance machine with some smart chic. A winning combination.
DaGonz
I fucking love Utes. They look so damned cool, and they're like...practical and a little redneck, but also a performance machine with some smart chic. A winning combination.

I read that Chevy is seriously thinking of bringing back the El Camino based on the Holden... thumbs_up.gif

now if Ford can do likewise with the Falcon Ute... firedevil.gif
Mitlov
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Nov 26 2007, 04:02 PM) *
they're like...practical and a little redneck, but also a performance machine with some smart chic. A winning combination.

They're like stars-and-stripes sweatpants!

moe
I really can't say this is cool...I just pictured someone driving it into my university's parking lot (my measure of cool of sorts) and it just doesn't look cool at all. It looks like the company pick-up, just dressed-up a bit.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(DaGonz @ Nov 26 2007, 09:26 PM) *
I read that Chevy is seriously thinking of bringing back the El Camino based on the Holden... thumbs_up.gif

That would be amazing. I love love love the concept and this would be frozen as hell if it weren't for the horrid colors, the stupid transmission, and the fact that I'm angry they don't sell it here. Cool.
moe
It's official. The Ute is coming the US as a variant of the Pontiac G8.
Mitlov
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Nov 27 2007, 10:17 AM) *
It's official. The Ute is coming the US as a variant of the Pontiac G8.

Link? Not that I don't believe you, I just would like to see it in print.

GM really should sell this as a Chevy El Camino, not a "Pontiac G8 'Ute," because North Americans would likely associate "ute" with "SUV," not "sedan-pickup hybrid."
moe
Link

Oh, and InsideLine has a story on their main page.
clarkma5
I'm shocked that this thing is getting so many uncool votes...
Mitlov
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Nov 27 2007, 02:30 PM) *
I'm shocked that this thing is getting so many uncool votes...

When you're surrounded by rednecks, a redneck-mobile is no longer cool. It's the same reason you think 3-Serieses are uncool, if I recall correctly. It's like how I thought C3 Corvettes were cool until I moved here and started seeing them at every stoplight.
WackoWizard
I don't mind it but that's because I've always had a soft spot for El Camino's, so I'm giving it a cool.
clarkma5
Of course I'm surrounded by trucks, Mitlov. California is in the US after all. But the Holden Ute is not a pickup truck as we know it, and I thought it was pretty well known that Dieselstation went for anything remotely interesting from the land down under.
Mitlov
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Nov 27 2007, 06:34 PM) *
Of course I'm surrounded by trucks, Mitlov. California is in the US after all. But the Holden Ute is not a pickup truck as we know it, and I thought it was pretty well known that Dieselstation went for anything remotely interesting from the land down under.

I was talking about muscle cars, not trucks, when I said "redneck-mobiles," just for the record. EDIT: And I was thinking about the mullet end of muscle cars (i.e., Trans Ams with faded paint), not the classier end (2007 Shelby GT500s). When I look at the Holden 'Ute, I see the mullet end of muscle cars.
DaGonz
Link? Not that I don't believe you, I just would like to see it in print.

I read it in Road and Track while waiting for a haircut on Monday.
moe
I change my mind. I'm giving it a solid cool, somebody change my vote to reflect that...thanks.
clarkma5
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Nov 28 2007, 08:43 AM) *
I change my mind. I'm giving it a solid cool, somebody change my vote to reflect that...thanks.

k
Dr. Strangelove
I gave it a cool, but then I started thinking about how embarrassed I would be to be seen diving this thing, and I changed my mind. Can we change it to Uncool please?
clarkma5
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Nov 29 2007, 07:39 AM) *
I gave it a cool, but then I started thinking about how embarrassed I would be to be seen diving this thing, and I changed my mind. Can we change it to Uncool please?

k
fiber optic
It's cool. I don't know if it's something I would buy. Although, I think it would be a good compromise of open area cargo and car-like performance which would be a good thing.
Synesthesia
Well, it's sweet that they're bringing it here, but I can't buy a car with an automatic transmission. With time hopefully that'll change.

I also disagree with the G8 Ute idea, Chevy El Camino would be so much cooler. I guess it's not really retro looking though.
midnightdorifto
Mitlov, you might wanna change your initial post - a quick check to the Holden website shows that this LS2 beast has an optional T-56...

And this mother is cool. Not quite frozen (I'd give the HSV version a frozen), but damn cool. I could certainly use one of those.
Mitlov
QUOTE(midnightdorifto @ Dec 1 2007, 03:58 PM) *
Mitlov, you might wanna change your initial post - a quick check to the Holden website shows that this LS2 beast has an optional T-56...

It's been edited. The original post was based off of the Edmunds write-up, which made it sound auto-only.
infinity
I'd rather have either a standard sedan/coupe or a pickup. This is a hideous example of a mix of the two, and the result is outrageous ugliness. Uncool.
Easton
The utes are such a bogan car tongue.gif

It'll slide right into your redneck demographic.
infinity
bogan = ?

PS - Easton I want some high-res of that LS7 G8 shoot you did for Motor Trend thumbs_up.gif
jimeegee
Cool,

It looks butch, like a ute should. And sounds like a ute should.

And people who buy them always race me and lose and I have half the cylinders.... laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.