Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lexus SC 430
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Seriously Uncool
Dr. Strangelove

From Wikipedia:

Lexus showcased its new sports convertible, the SC 430, at the Paris Motor Show in 2000, and the car entered production the following year. Power was provided by a 4.3 L 3UZ-FE V8 engine with variable valve timing (VVTi) mated to a five-speed automatic transmission. This engine was the same model as that found in the UCF30 Lexus LS. The SC 430's V8 could produce 280 hp (208 kW) and 430 Nm (317 ftlbf) of torque, allowing the coupe to go from 0-60 in around 6 seconds.

Lexus designers from Europe and Japan worked together to create the convertible's sleek, streamlined design. Inspiration for the coupe's design came from the south of France. The car features a retractable aluminium hardtop, all-leather interior, and 18 in alloy wheels. It can technically seat four, but rear seat space is extremely tight. Standard luxury features include Espresso Walnut or Bird's Eye Maple wood trim, a Mark Levinson premium sound system, DVD-based navigation system, and headlamp washers. Initial base price in the U.S. was $63,825.

I hate this car so much. To me this is car screams "I have money and I want everyone to think I'm cool." This car tries so hard to impress others and that to me is the definition of uncool.
UserDrew
Well, if we go by JC's rules this car is totally uncool based completely off the first picture. Those are the type of people this car is catered to, and they are the type who drive it... Old people who play golf that is. It is ugly and probably handles like a Camry.
mung35
When this came out, I thought it would be the M3 killer... back in '02... i was an idiot...

Uncool.

Plus, i would rather have steelies than the piece of shit wheels on the initial release of this car... as seen above.
clarkma5
Dear dear DEAR lord what an atrocity of a car.
moe
I think I'm going to be alone on this one, but I'm going to vote cool. We test drove one back when they were still new, and remembering walking away from it thinking "What a great engine." The handling wasn't as good as it should've been, but it wasn't horrible either. At the time it was released, I believe it was one of the few cars on the market with a folding hardtop, which was pretty cool. The other thing that's still cool, is the interior. The way all the little hidden panels slide away to reveals screens and buttons at the touch of a button. Finally, I think it's pretty good looking, and considering how rare they are around these parts, it's always special when you see one. I personally hate the rims on the one pictures above, but they've since been changed.

I like the ones on this Pebble Beach edition in particular.

EDIT: Isn't there a heavily modified version that takes part in JGTC?

Yup there is...
dukenukem
SOAP DISH.
Synesthesia
Funny, I thought this would be good back when it came out as well. It's quite ugly, especially with these wheels. Ultimately, it's a convertible for upper middle class golfers, uncool. Maybe it should be rated worse, but it doesn't strike me as trying very hard. It's just a car for upper middle class people. Just like all Lexuses. They're boring, overpriced, and uncool, but I can't say they're so uncool I hate them.
Razor
It's a Japanese SLK. MJU.
moe
QUOTE(Razor @ Nov 4 2007, 07:03 PM) *
It's a Japanese SLK. MJU.

More of a Japanese SL than an SLK, but sure.
Razor
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Nov 4 2007, 01:09 PM) *
More of a Japanese SL than an SLK, but sure.

On what grounds? Due to its hard drop-top nature and the fact that it looks more like a SLK than an SL, and that it came out before the hardtop convertible SL, I always thought of it as an SLK attempt.
clarkma5
It's a much larger and softer car than the SLK...which is definitely the SL's market.
Onikozah
It doesn't matter what market it's in. It shouldn't have been built in the first place, it suxxorz
Mitlov
MJU. It screams one of two things to me:

(1) I'm a rich prick who has made millions in real estate.
(2) My daddy's a rich prick who has made millions in real estate.

PS--I've seen nicer wheels on police cruisers.
Bjorn
A real disappointment after the Soarer based SC400 which preceded it. I think it really alienated the people who had bought and loved the SC400.

Considering the only people I have ever seen driving one have been our local ballerina and men in pink shirts, uncool.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Nov 4 2007, 06:02 PM) *
MJU. It screams one of two things to me:

(1) I'm a rich prick who has made millions in real estate.
(2) My daddy's a rich prick who has made millions in real estate.

PS--I've seen nicer wheels on police cruisers.

ROFL
stuffthatsgood
For that amount of money, probably the worst car you could choose. MJU.
moe
Even though I voted 'cool' I just thought of a good reason to vote MJU...Leif had one.
dukenukem
i dont know whats worse .. you remembered leif owned one or you still have the pic :o
moe
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Nov 7 2007, 02:28 AM) *
i dont know whats worse .. you remembered leif owned one or you still have the pic :o

I got it from the old thread...should've just linked that...in fact I will.
Razor
Leif owned one? What's below MJU?
Onikozah
I'm guessing Leif was a turd?
clarkma5
the turdiest
Synesthesia
I hadn't read that thread before. Funny how PD's opinion goes from "awesome" to "jello mold".
customking
Modded Lexus SC 430

http://www.japanesesportcars.com/galleries/img2514.htm
Bjorn
^I think thats an SC400 or 300, not an SC430.

Must try harder.
Asher
QUOTE(customking @ Nov 7 2007, 12:20 PM) *

Oh.
Mitlov
Is there a thread where Leif went apeshit, or was it just a matter of accumulated annoying-ness? He was here when I left DS and gone when I came back.
moe
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Nov 8 2007, 12:18 AM) *
Is there a thread where Leif went apeshit, or was it just a matter of accumulated annoying-ness? He was here when I left DS and gone when I came back.

Mainly accumulated annoying-ness, although he might've flipped on IRC...dunno I'm not there too much.
Mitlov
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Nov 7 2007, 12:24 PM) *
Mainly accumulated annoying-ness, although he might've flipped on IRC...dunno I'm not there too much.

I do remember him arguing, at length, that a 300C is no bigger on the inside than an A4. It blew my mind that someone would even argue that.
clarkma5
He argued all sorts of really retarded points...
Razor
QUOTE(customking @ Nov 7 2007, 12:20 PM) *

Eat your rice instead of spreading it here.
Onikozah
QUOTE(Razor @ Nov 7 2007, 04:16 PM) *
Eat your rice instead of spreading it here.

Synesthesia
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Nov 7 2007, 03:31 PM) *
I do remember him arguing, at length, that a 300C is no bigger on the inside than an A4. It blew my mind that someone would even argue that.

It surprises me how many debates there are every day where one side believes that they know better than the facts from reputable sources.
johnny.msyl.25
I've seen lots of these back in my town, which is in Malaysia, where people thought the more expensive the car is, the cooler it is. That's why they bought it. I once asked an owner why would he buy one, he answered me: "It's a Lexus, and it's convertible."
Mitlov
QUOTE(johnny.msyl.25 @ Nov 7 2007, 10:44 PM) *
I once asked an owner why would he buy one, he answered me: "It's a Lexus, and it's convertible."

It's really hard to argue with that logic, isn't it?
mung35
CarDesigner'09
My friends think this is a nice car, I think because of it being a Lexus. I think it's horrible. If Lexus is gonna try to make any more cars like this someone needs to blow them up. I guess they didn't realize you could still do comfortable and fast. If it was a fast car, I wouldn't mind the styling so much, but it's not. MJU:thumbsdown:
johnny.msyl.25
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Nov 8 2007, 02:50 PM) *
It's really hard to argue with that logic, isn't it?

I nearly answered him: "What about you earn some more money and buy a SLK? That is what I call cool." But thinking of he likes Maybach but didn't managed to get one in Malaysia, I just shut up and let him be.
moe
QUOTE(johnny.msyl.25 @ Nov 10 2007, 03:00 PM) *
I nearly answered him: "What about you earn some more money and buy a SLK? That is what I call cool." But thinking of he likes Maybach but didn't managed to get one in Malaysia, I just shut up and let him be.

The SLK costs more than this over there? I'm pretty sure the AMG version does here, but the rest of the models cost less. Either way, I know a lot of people that actually think it's uncool because it's a Lexus.
johnny.msyl.25
My government charges a very high tax for German cars. That's why Audi never get its foot stepped in my place. I only saw one SLK here and dozens of SC430. I haven't really checked their prices but I heard that SLKs are more expensive and costs more to maintain than a SC430.
moe
QUOTE(johnny.msyl.25 @ Nov 10 2007, 05:29 PM) *
My government charges a very high tax for German cars. That's why Audi never get its foot stepped in my place. I only saw one SLK here and dozens of SC430. I haven't really checked their prices but I heard that SLKs are more expensive and costs more to maintain than a SC430.

Ah ok, there's little to no tax here, so the SLK starts at about $50k, whereas the SC starts at $60k.
dukenukem
I nominate this car forever be banished to the realm of MJU along with the SLR.
johnny.msyl.25
Haha nice one Duke. laugh.gif About people thought it's uncool because of it's a Lexus, well here people likes Lexus. Becauses Lexuses are expensive. Most of the people here have a worse knowledge about car than me. About the tax thing, my government here charges taxes at all imported cars so that they won't compete directly in the same market with our "proud" automobile maker, Proton.
Synesthesia
^How interesting. What percentage of people would you say drive Protons?
johnny.msyl.25
Thanks to the brilliant government idea, nearly 70% of the cars here are Protons. Damn it. Even my dad own one. Worse.
moe
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Nov 10 2007, 09:10 PM) *
I nominate this car forever be banished to the realm of MJU along with the SLR.

laugh.gif I voted Frozen for the SLR, and Cool for this...

QUOTE(johnny.msyl.25 @ Nov 13 2007, 03:40 PM) *
Thanks to the brilliant government idea, nearly 70% of the cars here are Protons. Damn it. Even my dad own one. Worse.

It's okay Johnny...two words, say them with me...Satria GTi.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(johnny.msyl.25 @ Nov 13 2007, 06:40 AM) *

Holy hell that's a lot. Have you gone to college yet? I say you travel abroad. tongue.gif
johnny.msyl.25
I just travelled around my country, it's not big, so I can make a short conclusion of the cars here. And yes Moe, Satria GTi, the best Proton ever. One more, if I only take the percentages of cars in big cities, Proton is far behind from Toyota. Toyota rules.
Razor
QUOTE(johnny.msyl.25 @ Nov 14 2007, 05:50 AM) *
Satria GTi, the best Proton ever

Post for cool-wall voting. thumbs_up.gif
johnny.msyl.25
And I made a mistake here. 70% of Protons are actually Protons and Peroduas. I'll make a post for Satria GTi. DS_Naughty2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.