Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saw this on the freeway
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Car Sightings
Ozi
Was on my way to soccer game and my dad pointed out that my uncle used to have one of these in Switzerland, and they seem rare.

Mazdaspeed
merkur's are pretty cool... easy power out of them. too bad theyre so damn ugly (i think)
green73ta
That one looks like it's been well taken care of. The last couple I've seen have been ragged out.
redls1bird
There was a guy where i used to live in New Hampshire that had two of them. 1 black one and 1 red one, both ran well.
Marien
It looks a bit like a Ford Sierra Cosworth
Synesthesia
It looks like "MERKUR" is written in Times New Roman.
Tony Two Shoes
QUOTE(Marien @ Jun 16 2007, 03:18 AM) *
It looks a bit like a Ford Sierra Cosworth

I think the Sierra and the Merkur were the same car, just badged differently. And that is a big think. So correct if I'm wrong.
PAULIE_D
^ Somewhat true. North America got a 175 hp version of the Sierra.

In terms of aesthetics, the Ford Sierra was arguably the nicer looking of the two... the double rear 1/4 window and the bi-plane style rear wing of the Merkur XR4Ti were odd looking.
Megadeus
The Sierra XR4i and the Merkur XR4Ti were nearly identical except for the engines (2.8L V6 vs. turbo'd Pinto 2.3L I4, respectively). The split rear quarter window was exclusive to these cars.

The 3-door Sierra Cosworth was based on the regular Sierra, which is why they had the large single rear quarter window. Besides the different bodywork and aero parts, they also used a turbo'd 2.0L I4.
Blue Devil
QUOTE(Tony Two Shoes @ Jun 17 2007, 07:22 PM) *
I think the Sierra and the Merkur were the same car, just badged differently. And that is a big think. So correct if I'm wrong.

You are right... in Venezuela we had the Sierra variant of this car. My mom actually had the station wagon and it was a cool looking car back in the 80's didn't look like anything else back then specially in Venezuela. I actually learned to drive in that car.
Nike SB'd
Hmm picture isn't working for me sad.gif My dad had a Merkur XR4Ti when I was a little kid. Pretty neat car smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.