Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renault Fuego
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Cool
Mr b00st

Oh hell yes. I think i found one no one has done.

This was Renault's "sports coupe" (similar to VW Scirrocco, Porsche 924, Audi 4000 Coupe, etc. at the time) in the 80's.

Powertrain wise, it was available in the US with either a 1.6L n/a or a 1.6L Turbo. Both engines were single cam pushrod style affairs, and the n/a managed fuel delivery through a twin-choke weber carb, while the US Market Turbo offered Bosch L-Jetronic. The n/a motor kicked out a whopping 96 horsepower and 99lb-ft of torque; the screaming fast turbo laid down the law with 107bhp and 120 lb-ft. Foreign markets got it better; in Europe the Turbo had a single Solex carb and 132bhp/148lb-ft. a 2.0L single overhead camshaft motor was offered, but never in America, as well as a 2.2L pushrod and a 1.4L pushrod carb fed beastie.

the US market turbo could crack 60 in a scant 10.7 seconds (quick compared with walking!) and could work it's way up (eventually) to a 116mph top speed. the european turbo could hit the same figure in 9.1s and top out at 124mph; while the Argentian GTA Max model made the trip in 8.5s with an identical top speed. Obviously these cars ate up the road.

But the real selling attribute is the car's timeless beauty. I mean just look at those sexy lines.

sexy 80's "turbo" badging

McKhaos
This was actually quite cool in it's day.
speedyK
No, it wasn't. It was always a wannabe.
Halflifehavock13
Wow, those window sills are huge.
fiber optic
The melting point of Mercury is only around -40 degrees.
Phix
Pretty cool. I definitely wouldn't mind having one... with a European engine, at least.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(fiber optic @ May 3 2007, 03:48 PM) *
The melting point of Mercury is only around -40 degrees.

freezing point?

never mind, i'm retarded, wouldn't they be the same thing?
Synesthesia
QUOTE(Halflifehavock13 @ May 3 2007, 03:37 PM) *
Wow, those window sills are huge.

Hey, big windows are nice. But they provide visibility, and visibility isn't cool. Hmm...

QUOTE(Mr b00st @ May 3 2007, 09:41 PM) *
freezing point?

never mind, i'm retarded, wouldn't they be the same thing?

Yeah, it's the same thing.

That said, this is pretty damn cool.
Marien
Well in this pic, it looks half decent. Reminds me of that Renault/Alpine car. Offcource the performance is nothing to write home about, even for its time.

Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ May 4 2007, 10:15 AM) *
Hey, big windows are nice. But they provide visibility, and visibility isn't cool. Hmm...

You'd like to know that I didnt vote yet because I'm undecided nor did I say that this car is uncool.
moe
That's just gross.
bing5500
Wow...I would classify this as Eurotrash.
redlinehappiness
Gahbage.
ExoticTuner
Just need some better wheels and it would still make a decent ride today I reckon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.