Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And you thought Ricers Couldn't do any Worse...
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
green73ta
The long term effects of the atomic bombs dropped in WWII are just now being seen...
bankE46
why do they have all have such massive antennae sticking out everywhere?
WardLarson
QUOTE(BankieVR6 @ Mar 28 2007, 05:37 AM) *
why do they have all have such massive antennae sticking out everywhere?

those are high performance exhausts... or whatever.
høgh
QUOTE(WardLarson @ Mar 28 2007, 05:06 PM) *
those are high performance exhausts... or whatever.

Yeah. Adds 10 hp per feet.
Dr. Strangelove
I just had a look around the internet, because I was wondering what the deal is with these people. According to Wiki, these guys are kind of a gang. They run around Japan at 4 AM revving their engine and challanging people to fight. Most of the members are under 20, and the Yakuza uses them to recruit new members.
Diesel
yeah.. uh.. these guys aren't ricers. It's Bosozoku. It's a style that's truly rooted in the Japanese culture. Think of it as a way of expressing their Mecha/Anime/Godzilla culture and mixing with racing back in the 70's with their exposed oil coolers and such.

here's an example of early 70's racing Skylines with their exposed oil coolers and fender flairs.

It's like their version of hot rodding mixed with racing mixed with punk, and it's been around forever. Ever since the late 70's and 80's. Only thing is they've been trying to outdo each other all this time so it's grown and evolved into different classes and styles with crazy tail pipes, wild bodies, and all Voltron/Anime style.

Mazdaspeed
exhaust pipes are outta controlll
høgh
QUOTE(Diesel @ Mar 28 2007, 08:49 PM) *
yeah.. uh.. these guys aren't ricers. It's Bosozoku. It's a style that's truly rooted in the Japanese culture. Think of it as a way of expressing their Mecha/Anime/Godzilla culture and mixing with racing back in the 70's with their exposed oil coolers and such.

here's an example of early 70's racing Skylines with their exposed oil coolers and fender flairs.

It's like their version of hot rodding mixed with racing mixed with punk, and it's been around forever. Ever since the late 70's and 80's. Only thing is they've been trying to outdo each other all this time so it's grown and evolved into different classes and styles with crazy tail pipes, wild bodies, and all Voltron/Anime style.

It still doesn't justify the ugliness.
Diesel
QUOTE(høgh @ Mar 28 2007, 01:02 PM) *
It still doesn't justify the ugliness.

heh.. didn't know they had to justify anything when it came to their own cars.

personally.. i love it. I'd much rather have a whole bunch of different car cultures that expresses personal taste and styles then having all of the same boring "non ugly" stuff over and over again.
BombedMonkey
I think its retarded.... and they sound like ass.
WardLarson
sounds like a 2-stroke lawn mower convention.
slip
after seeing the vid i was kind of interested in it so i went and googled around for a bit (got easier after i figured out it was spelled bosozoku)
aside from the ridiculous exhausts, i have to agree with diesel. it's kind of cool, i actually like how some of them look in a way. I've always liked the look of those older jap race cars

looks like its done more for the hell of it than to be taken seriously...
one
QUOTE(Diesel @ Mar 28 2007, 12:30 PM) *

personally.. i love it. I'd much rather have a whole bunch of different car cultures that expresses personal taste and styles then having all of the same boring "non ugly" stuff over and over again.

+1

BOSOZOKU IS AWESOM@!!!
krazykohla
My favorite is definitely the Burgandy (sp?) one that looks just like a snow scraper!
skr
The difference between rice and bosozoku is that with bosozoku, you can at least recognize an artistic style within their outrageous mods. When it comes to riceboys, there's no artistic style.
Phix
høgh
QUOTE(Diesel @ Mar 28 2007, 10:30 PM) *

I agree some cars look somewhat good, but...

That... is just trying too hard to be different.
mung35
Who the heck is the clown dancing to the exhaust notes? head.gif

And, why do some of em have front underbody spoilers like a freaking forklift? I kinda get the exhaust thing... but the fronts... man...
Megadeus
QUOTE(mung35 @ Mar 29 2007, 12:45 AM) *
And, why do some of em have front underbody spoilers like a freaking forklift? I kinda get the exhaust thing... but the fronts... man...

Obviously, you've never seen some of the Japanese race cars from the 80's...

eighteenseconds
That shit is awesome. It's like Mad Max style but all japanese and insane.
Tony Two Shoes
Fuck it. I'm quitting my day job and opening an exhaust shop in Japan. Exhaust fabricators over there must be making a klling selling to these kids.
Phix
QUOTE(Tony Two Shoes @ Apr 2 2007, 09:13 PM) *
Fuck it. I'm quitting my day job and opening an exhaust shop in Japan. Exhaust fabricators over there must be making a klling selling to these kids.

Most likely these kids are killing the exhaust fabricators in order to keep them from making others like theirs in order to keep the "unique" ness.

They're later on scouted out by Yakuza and hired as hitmen/enforcers.

Not really... or really?
PAULIE_D
Hooray for the angular 80's! Seriously... I like angles.
dukenukem

Clearly the guys know style oh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.