Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Small fun? cars
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Renesis
Here are the choices, these are some I'm considering for my first car, maybe..

just wanna have your opinions for fun!

just explain your choices and tell why it would be your pick! canadian.gif
Halflifehavock13
CVT does not equal fun.

So I'll take the rabbit.
VVTL-i GT-S
Rabbit...
clarkma5
Wow, uh, none of the above. The SE-R's only worthwhile with the Spec V package, the Pontiac G5 is a waste of time (if you want that chassis, Cobalt SS is the only way to go), and the MkV Golf (cough, rabbit, sorry) is really too big and isolated to be much fun, and the 2.5, while competent, isn't a great performance motor.

In this sorta range, I'd definitely be looking at the Mazda 3 2.3, the Hyundai Tiburon GT V6, and the SE-R Spec V.
slip
renesis....

why not buy a used 2004 RX-8 for the same cheddar (or less), and then your name will actually make sense
clarkma5
QUOTE(slip @ Mar 19 2007, 05:59 PM) *
renesis....

why not buy a used 2004 RX-8 for the same cheddar (or less), and then your name will actually make sense

Because 13 MPG and a vacuum cleaner exhaust note aren't very appealing tongue.gif
Renesis
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 19 2007, 08:49 PM) *
Wow, uh, none of the above. The SE-R's only worthwhile with the Spec V package, the Pontiac G5 is a waste of time (if you want that chassis, Cobalt SS is the only way to go), and the MkV Golf (cough, rabbit, sorry) is really too big and isolated to be much fun, and the 2.5, while competent, isn't a great performance motor.

In this sorta range, I'd definitely be looking at the Mazda 3 2.3, the Hyundai Tiburon GT V6, and the SE-R Spec V.

All out of my price range.

Plus the G5 GT is the same thing as a Cobalt SS (not supercharged)

And also insurance rapes me even if I work in that domain so let's not go crazy..

I'm on a budget and don't want something that requires premium either!

QUOTE(slip @ Mar 19 2007, 08:59 PM) *
renesis....

I'm not ready for that, need something reliable and good on gas, I'll use it to go to university which is quite a long ride.

QUOTE(Halflifehavock13 @ Mar 19 2007, 08:32 PM) *
CVT does not equal fun.

So I'll take the rabbit.

I know, but atleast it has fixed ratios and paddle shifters, I've still got to try it out though, the salesman said they're still 2 months away...
clarkma5
I don't see how the CVT SE-R can be in your price range while the others I reccomended can't be...especially when you consider that, as a new model, the SE-R isn't gonna have any price breaks on it while the Hyundai and the Mazda will be available for under sticker, no prob.

And btw, when I said the Cobalt SS was the only one worth having, I meant the S/C version. The N/A SS isn't as well sorted in the suspension department and, of course, lacks the grunt.
Renesis
I know that's what you meant for the cobalt, that's why I specified again that it wasn't the S/C one.

As for the SE-R well it's pricier than others by about $1.5k which is the price of an automatic tranny so assuming that I'm comparing it with other automatics, it becomes the same price. (don't forget that it's CVT only so it's not an option, nor a choice..)

The hyundai sucks unless it's the V6, and then both insurance premiums and gas consumption are through the roof, not to mention the price tag (in US hyundais are much cheaper vs other cars than here in Canada!)

As for the Mazda 3, the GS one (er.. that's the i for you I think, well the uplevel 2.0 one) fits in my budget but it's not as nice as the 2.3 one and I'm sick of seeing these, everyone has one!

So really in terms of new cars for that kind of money there's not much fun to be had..

so let's just say a good car that's not too boring.. that's what I'm looking for.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Rabbit but there seems to be availability problems and the engine is getting a 20hp bump next year so it'd be frustrating to buy one now, but I need it in like, 2 months time! The SE-R seemed like a good package, but I'd have to check out that CVT thing, not so sure about it..
krazykohla
You guys already know what I'm going to say...

Honda Civic Coupe FTW!! It's not too pricey and mi madre has one and it's not half bad for the low price tag...

If you haven't noticed, I'm not a fan of any of the above multiple choice cars, so someone choose an option for me!
Renesis
I absolutely hate the new Civic, I could forgive it if it had a screaming engine like the Si but the base Civic has the least powerful and least torquey engine by far in the class (or atleast in the list I made up which originally had many more cars)
VVTL-i GT-S
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 19 2007, 08:49 PM) *
the Hyundai Tiburon GT V6...

It's big, heavy, and slow...plus, a new generation of Tibby is coming anyway...
dukenukem
how much would a used WRX or a RS be? Or are you certain on getting something brand new?
clarkma5
QUOTE(VVTL-i GT-S @ Mar 19 2007, 09:07 PM) *
It's big, heavy, and slow...plus, a new generation of Tibby is coming anyway...

The current Tib isn't the lightest or fastest car in its segment, but it is a genuinely nice car to drive, is very well put together, and very affordable for what you get. And the next gen tib is the better part of a year away and is going to be significantly more expensive than the outgoing model.
Phix
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 20 2007, 01:46 AM) *
The current Tib isn't the lightest or fastest car in its segment, but it is a genuinely nice car to drive, is very well put together, and very affordable for what you get. And the next gen tib is the better part of a year away and is going to be significantly more expensive than the outgoing model.

And RWD. Hopefully.
clarkma5
should be, yes.
moe
Get a Mazda 3...seriously, doesn't matter what engine, or what body style (avoid the auto though). But if you must have one of the above, the Rabbit is a far superior choice to the others.
Mr b00st
of those, the rabbit is the only one that won't be a torture box, and all though none of them will set your pants on fire stock (my jetta 2.5 isn't stock and it still doesn't set my pants on fire, but i had basically the same requirements you had so i understand your choices) the Rabbit would, i think, be more fun and more useful than the others.

the new Sentra is also completely gawdawful ugly.

Tiburon is a tempting choice, you could strike a good deal on one and the 2007 restyling makes it quite an attractive vehicle. i drove one back in 2005 (V6 6MT) and it just isn't that quick, but it's not slow. My main problem is this: a Mitsu eclipse GT has almost 100 more bhp, 1.1L more displacement, is considerably faster, and gets BETTER gas mileage. I don't understand why the fuel consumption on the Tibby GT is so poor. But you could also factor in the high pimp factor, the 100k warranty, how reliable they are...

have you considered a second-hand or CPO Acura RSX? the base model is quite fun to drive (very light on it's feet, perfect interior design) and very useful (liftback, foldable rear seats... you could probably fit almost as much in there as a Rabbit)

I agree with previous posters that the new civic is just not an attractive car, but you know it'd be a pleasure to own and operate... cheap, nimble, good on gas, probably will never break.

But again, of those three, i recommend the Rabbit. Lots of standard equipment for the class, good warranty, solid build quality, very safe, shockingly cheap to insure. And those with complaints about the 2.5 haven't driven one; it's not a hot rod but it's not a slow car with a 5-speed. Lots more low end torque than anything else in the class. Fuel mileage is less than great though... best i've gotten is 31mpg highway.
clarkma5
The Mitsu Eclipse may have nearly 100 more HP than the tib, but it costs more, weighs more, and at the end of the day doesn't feel much faster. The Tiburon also has a nicer interior, better ride/handling, and is just more enjoyable. I consider its poor fuel economy its only demerit, really. I would highly reccomend the current V6 Tiburon GT to anyone in that sort of market (supposing you're not super tall or demand a commodious rear seat)

That said, I WOULD reccomend the 4 cylinder Eclipse. I drove a 5-speed 2.4 liter Eclipse and found it very enjoyable, far more pleasurable than the V6. The 2.4 is punchy, the ride/handling compromise is very nice, and it's all a rather tidy package. In the U.S. it's a bit pricey for what you get but I dunno what it's like in Canada, and Mitsu has a warranty just about on par with Hyundai's.
VVTL-i GT-S
I know a few people have owns a Tiburon...let's just say that warranty does come in handy frequently...
BlackJack
Why not a WRX or a Mazda3? Certainly, the MS3 is fun cool.gif cool.gif

EDIT: So what if you see Mazda3s all the time? At least you would have one! The MS3 isn't easy to find as there is a limited amount.
Renesis
I don't have an unlimited budget, a MS3 or a WRX is out of range for me a 4cyl eclipse too, maybe pricing differs in US and in Canada but here it's a lot more than a Rabbit!

I'm leaning towards a new car for a lot of reasons but yes, I'm not considering used at the moment (I did before).

The Mazda 3 is nice indeed but I don't know.. it's very common and it'll change soon it's been out since 2004, and I'd hate to see my brand new car look old in 2 years..

I'll test the others and I'll see, so far I've only tested the Mazda 3.
clarkma5
My opinion is that, instead of avoiding the cars that are nearing the end of their life cycle, they tend to be a good choice because they've been continuously refined throughout their time on the market. And the fact of the matter is that the 3 is a good choice for a driver's car while still being practical (sedan or 5-door hatch instead of a 2+2 coupe!) while also being in your price range.

You're going to be dissappointed with the G5/Cobalt's interior so much that, regardless of how well it drives, you're gonna be put off by it. Only the SS S/C has the goods to make you forget the lackluster interior, and even then only just.

Also, in the U.S., the price difference between the SE-R and the SE-R Spec V is only $500...what's the gap in Canada?
Halflifehavock13
Definetly go for the 3. Even without the 2.3, IMO its no less of a car. The interior is basically the same less a few options, and the 2.0l engine has enough power. I strongly recommend test driving one, you'll change your mind.
White RSX
Get something you like. Drive each option you have and pick the one you like best.

Are threads like this really necessary?
Renesis
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 20 2007, 05:51 PM) *
My opinion is that, instead of avoiding the cars that are nearing the end of their life cycle, they tend to be a good choice because they've been continuously refined throughout their time on the market. And the fact of the matter is that the 3 is a good choice for a driver's car while still being practical (sedan or 5-door hatch instead of a 2+2 coupe!) while also being in your price range.

You're going to be dissappointed with the G5/Cobalt's interior so much that, regardless of how well it drives, you're gonna be put off by it. Only the SS S/C has the goods to make you forget the lackluster interior, and even then only just.

Also, in the U.S., the price difference between the SE-R and the SE-R Spec V is only $500...what's the gap in Canada?

Well call me crazy if you wish but I really like the Cobalt's interior, especially with the new 3 spoke leather trimmed steering wheel! The level of quality isn't still up to the finest standards but it has improved a lot!

and I prefer this conservative design to something awful like the new Civic!

as for the SE-R don't forget I'm talking about the new ones, afaik the prices are not out yet on Nissan USA but they are on Nissan Canada

SE-R is 22800$ the Spec-V is 24300$ and you have to add 1700$ on top of that to get the LSD, sunroof and big sound system.

The SE-R is already pushing my 20-21k CDN price limit.

Prices are much better in USA, I just looked at your Tiburon you can have a V6 one for almost as much as a 4cyl one whereas here the gap is like $6k+
Mr b00st
tip: if you're thinking about a Rabbit, you might want to wait until the MY08's come out. getting bumped up to 170bhp and 177lb-ft, will still run on 87 octane and will still be 15 grand. not bad IMO.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Renesis @ Mar 20 2007, 08:11 PM) *
Well call me crazy if you wish but I really like the Cobalt's interior, especially with the new 3 spoke leather trimmed steering wheel! The level of quality isn't still up to the finest standards but it has improved a lot!

and I prefer this conservative design to something awful like the new Civic!

It's a fine design, but the '05 Cobalt SS I drove had exceptionally cheap plastics and poor fit...some of the dash pieces were pulling away from the windows to reveal the structure below. But if you like it, then that's fine for you. I was rather unimpressed.

as for the SE-R don't forget I'm talking about the new ones, afaik the prices are not out yet on Nissan USA but they are on Nissan Canada

SE-R is 22800$ the Spec-V is 24300$ and you have to add 1700$ on top of that to get the LSD, sunroof and big sound system.

The SE-R is already pushing my 20-21k CDN price limit.

Actually US prices have been announced; the SE-R is $19,400 and the Spec V is $19,900. I see you guys get burned on the upgrade compared to us.

QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Mar 20 2007, 08:24 PM) *
tip: if you're thinking about a Rabbit, you might want to wait until the MY08's come out. getting bumped up to 170bhp and 177lb-ft, will still run on 87 octane and will still be 15 grand. not bad IMO.

This has been discussed already; Renesis stated that the 170 HP Rabbit won't be out in time for him, he's looking for a car within a couple months.
VVTL-i GT-S
There is always the 2-door camry *cough*tC*cough*...
Renesis
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Mar 20 2007, 11:24 PM) *

I know that too well the problem is I NEED the car by july at the latest...

the earlier the better...

QUOTE(VVTL-i GT-S @ Mar 21 2007, 12:26 AM) *
There is always the 2-door camry *cough*tC*cough*...

I'm in Canada, no Scions here!
Phix
QUOTE(Renesis @ Mar 21 2007, 08:27 PM) *
I know that too well the problem is I NEED the car by july at the latest...

the earlier the better...
I'm in Canada, no Scions here!

I'm in the GTA and a lot of people are brining them up here. I've spotted several xBs. But that's it.
Renesis
yeah we've got our share of rebuilt XB's around here too..

but a rebuilt US VGA car costs the price of a decent brand new canadian car under warranty!

rarity has it's price apparently!
Dr. Strangelove
ZOMG GET TEH SPEC V!!!!!!

Really though, why are you stuck on a new car. You are limiting yourself in a big way by going new. If you are spending that much on a car, you should be next to exctatic every time you get in the car. Don't settle, if you do it will always bother you. I used to have a Jetta 2.0 and whenever I saw a VR6 or a 1.8t all I thought was "Shit, thats what I really wanted". My advice, get a used car that has what you want. Low mileage, about 1-2 years old. You can get so much more car for your money.
midnightdorifto
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Mar 25 2007, 09:03 AM) *
ZOMG GET TEH SPEC V!!!!!!

Really though, why are you stuck on a new car. You are limiting yourself in a big way by going new. If you are spending that much on a car, you should be next to exctatic every time you get in the car. Don't settle, if you do it will always bother you. I used to have a Jetta 2.0 and whenever I saw a VR6 or a 1.8t all I thought was "Shit, thats what I really wanted". My advice, get a used car that has what you want. Low mileage, about 1-2 years old. You can get so much more car for your money.

This man speaks the truth. Get what you want - big fun is avaliable for little money, especially if youre planning on spending that much. Don't limit yourself to a new car.
krazykohla
Get something that you won't mind having to pay off for the next 5 years for Christ's sake! Raspberry.gif
Renesis
well did some test drives (and price quotes) today...

Cobalt SS 2.4: Superb handling, quite comfortable, the interior is nice, there's really nothing missing in terms of equipment.

didn't feel like 170 hp I was expecting to be surprised but I wasn't.. I tested an automatic though because even if I'll buy a manual I wanted to concentrate on the car itself and not only on the shifting bit.

Very good price, low interest rates...

VW Rabbit: I was VERY impressed by the 2.5 sounds great, good torque! interior was a bit sad, lots of plastic, steering wheel sucks, not leather wrapped, no controls on it.. the handling wasn't as good as the Cobalt but the ride wasn't more comfortable.

Quite a bit more expensive and the interest rates sucked big time, almost no negotiation possible.

I'll have to go test drive a SS again this time in manual for a longer time.. but I liked it and it's price is another good argument..
moe
Go drive a Mazda 3 2.0...
Renesis
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Mar 27 2007, 11:09 AM) *
Go drive a Mazda 3 2.0...

That's the first one I drove..

nice car, but..

my left foot was bored as hell! whistle.gif
midnightdorifto
Trust me on this - get the manual. It is far more fun, involved, and you won't regret getting it. And I think it holds its value better.
Phix
QUOTE(midnightdorifto @ Mar 30 2007, 11:02 PM) *
And I think it holds its value better.

Right, because manuals in this part of the world are considered 'uncommon'?
moe
QUOTE(Renesis @ Mar 28 2007, 07:24 AM) *
That's the first one I drove..

nice car, but..
my left foot was bored as hell! whistle.gif

I have the 1.6 manual, and I've test driven pretty much everything else available in the same market segment (which is a lot more cars in the ME than over there), and I can safely say the 3 even with its power-defecit in this part of the world is the most fun econobox available.
Renesis
QUOTE(midnightdorifto @ Mar 30 2007, 11:02 PM) *
Trust me on this - get the manual. It is far more fun, involved, and you won't regret getting it. And I think it holds its value better.

yeah I'll be buying a manual, don't worry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.