Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Cool
Phix

Power: 220bhp @ 5200rpm
Torque: 236lb/ft @ 1500rpm
Curb Weight: N/A
Drivetrain Layout: Front-Engine / FWD
Transmission: 6-spd manual
Engine: Turbocharged 2.5L I-5

A sporty design, two doors, four individual seats and a glass tailgate give the Volvo C30 a unique style and character that will attract new Volvo buyers. The new Volvo C30 will be unveiled to the world at the Paris Motor Show in September and is due to arrive in UK showrooms at the turn of the year.

The design of the production-ready model closely resembles the Volvo C30 Design Concept, which was first shown at the Detroit Motor Show in January this year. In profile, the sloping roofline and distinct wheel arches give the new Volvo C30 a dynamic silhouette, enhanced by the extreme curve of the side windows as they taper towards the rear. The carís distinctive Volvo shoulders are powerfully rounded and accentuated by the horseshoe-shaped lighting pattern around the rear lamps and glass tailgate.

When it comes to safety, the C30 is a true Volvo. Combined with airbags and safety belt tensioners, the Volvo C30 offers first class safety. The standard safety equipment naturally includes the Whiplash Protection System (WHIPS), Side Impact Protection System (SIPS) with side airbags and the Inflatable Curtain (IC). The Volvo C30 will also be available with BLIS (Blind Spot Information System), which helps the driver to identify another vehicle in the blind spot at the rear sides of the car. The front has the same patented structure as the Volvo S40 saloon or V50 Sportswagon.

Author's Take

Absolutely hideous. Although, the interior looks like a rather enjoyable place to be. But then again... that front end design just doesn't lend itself that well to hatchback form. Looks like some retarded Civic mod where they replace the front clip with something stupid... like an Accord. It just doesn't work.
PBB
Soft FWD chick car. It's wacko like Jacko! Almost. Uncool.
Jordan
QUOTE(PBB @ Dec 5 2006, 08:36 PM) *
Soft FWD chick car. It's wacko like Jacko! Almost. Uncool.

Have you driven one? With the sport suspension at least, and the T5 AWD they are fast and fun as hell.
Phix
QUOTE(Jordan @ Dec 5 2006, 11:41 PM) *
Have you driven one? With the sport suspension at least, and the T5 AWD they are fast and fun as hell.

Wait, what? Have YOU driven one? I swear they don't come to the U.S. until 2007?
infinity
Not a fan at all. Thumbs down. Uncool.
PBB
QUOTE(Jordan @ Dec 5 2006, 11:41 PM) *

As far as performance cars go, it's safe to say the C30 is pretty damn soft. This is the Cool Wall, not the "Objective Car Discussion Wall." And if you still want to compare these cars objectively, at least realize there's no AWD offered on the C30.
Tirminyl
MJU.
dukenukem
I like the interior but i just fail to see any of the supposed muscularity it has. Through and through yuppy chik car. Uncool.
clarkma5
Eh I was on the fence between cool and uncool, because it does look kinda cool and different for a Volvo and promises to offer at least some semblance of performance. I also imagine it will be a bit of a niche vehicle that you don't see around much, which helps.

But I erred on the side of uncool because I'm remembering the debilitating lack of driver involvement of the S40 and I'd hedge my bets on the C30 being more of the same.
tune
I would make a witty comment about it being as cool as Sweden is cold, but...... oh look at that! Lolz!
Dr. Strangelove
I give it a cool for the effort.
Jordan
Well, I havent driven a C30 but the S40 with AWD and the T5 my friends mother has is fun and nice to drive. its not a hardcore race car but its a super comfortable and its pretty fast.
moe
It's different, and I think it's pretty cool looking. So cool.
Keitero-sama
Nice looking lil' hot hatch.
laurens
Nice try but is drives like a Lada
Tony Two Shoes
With how low the back glass goes, it almost reminds me of a Pacer.

I know they look nothing alike side-by-side, but somehow the back glass of the C30 makes me think of the Pacer; you know, not that Pacers are bad or anything. j/k

http://pacer.free.fr/images/pacer/pa026.jpg
infinity
stop bumping 4 realz yo
Phix
QUOTE(infinity935 @ Apr 6 2007, 11:27 PM) *
stop bumping 4 realz yo

Bumps are allowed in the cool wall.
Tony Two Shoes
QUOTE(infinity935 @ Apr 6 2007, 10:27 PM) *
stop bumping 4 realz yo

1) Look at what Phix said. 2) It's not even that old, 4 realz yo.

QUOTE(Phix @ Apr 6 2007, 10:55 PM) *
Bumps are allowed in the cool wall.

^Thank you.
Mitlov
Cool. The coolest car Volvo has made in a while. I like the T5 engine, and I love the looks in and out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.