Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ferrari 360 Modena
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
Phix

Power: 400bhp @ 8500rpm
Torque: 275lb/ft @ 4750rpm
Curb Weight: 2844lbs
Drivetrain Layout: Mid-Engine / RWD
Transmission: 6-spd manual OR F1 Electro-Hydraulic shift (paddles)
Engine: 3.6L V8

The Ferrari 360 Modena went into production in 1999 and served as a replacement for the F355. The name 'Modena' was used after the birthplace of Enzo Ferrari. The styling was courtesy of Pininfarina and mounted mid-ship was an eight-cylinder engine constructed entirely of aluminum. The engine was mounted to a six-speed gearbox available as a manual or F1 electro-hydraulic shift. Production continued until 2005 when it was replaced with the F430.

The 400 horsepower engine produced around 400 horsepower and could carry the 2840 pound vehicle from zero-to-sixty in just 4.3 seconds. Top speed was achieved at 185 mph.

The 360 Modena has superb road dynamics thanks to a long wheelbase, wide front track, a superb suspension geometry, and electronic control. The car rides on an adjustable suspension with dual aluminum wishbones front and rear. Anti-dive and anti-squat geometries are incorporated front and rear so the car remains level under braking and acceleration. The aluminum dampers, co-designed with Sachs, are equipped with an electronic control unit. All body and wheel movements are thus guided in a process that takes just 0.04 seconds to eliminate any rolling or pitching.

The 360's 5-valve per cylinder, 3586 cubic cm V8 engine produces 400bhp and is centrally mounted with dry-sump lubrication, and the oil tank is placed, F1-style, on the spacer between the longitudinal engine and unitary gearbox. The car rockets from 0-100 km/h in 4.5s and covers the kilometer sprint in 22.9 seconds. Pick-up is spectacular thanks to excellent torque which peaks at 275lb-ft at 4750rpm, 80% of that available at just 3000rpm. The engine's flexibility means that the car is relaxing and easy to drive even in heavy traffic. Power output is a record-breaking 400bhp at 8,500rpm (112bhp/litre) the highest figure yet achieved by a naturally-aspirated V8 production engine. The power unit features a variable geometry intake system, five-main bearing crankshaft with counter-balanced 180 crank throws, titanium con rods, 5 valves per cylinder (3 intake, 2 exhaust, the latter with variable valve timing for improved performance at high speeds) and a Bosch ME 7.3 electronic engine management system. The latter, via the CAN - Controlled Area Network - allows the injection system to transmit and receive data from the ignition which is integrated with the drive-by-wire electronic accelerator that, in turn, is connected to the ASR traction control and, where fitted, the system that manages the F1 electrohydraulic transmission.

Author's Take

I was never that big of a fan of the 360's appearance. Had a bit of F50-esque touch to it which put me off. But the further back you went the more elegant it became in a way. Not to mention the sheer quality of its interior. Cool vote.
clarkma5
Front is a bit mousy, but the car looks very good overall. Adore that screaming 3.6 liter V8. Considering the Modena removes the Spyder from the equation, I feel confident with a Frozen vote here.
PBB
Absolutely Frozen. Stunningly gorgeous, the best looking modern Ferrari. Amazing chassis and a glorious engine that can sing all the right notes.
eighteenseconds
QUOTE(PBB @ Dec 5 2006, 06:21 PM) *
Absolutely Frozen. Stunningly gorgeous, the best looking modern Ferrari. Amazing chassis and a glorious engine that can sing all the right notes.

preach it brotha.
leif
the 360 made me situp and notice ferrari in my car infancy...the CS was one of the coolest cars made in the last decade...IMO.
Tirminyl
This gets a cool from me. I do love the 360 and it is a great car, but the frozen will be reserved for its CS counterpart.
infinity
Must get a Frozen vote from me. My 3rd favorite "modern" Ferrari (right behind the F355 and F430).
Cyclone
Why I like the 360, there are so many other Ferrari's like so much more. Such as the F355. I give it a cool
350Z
This car got better looking as time went on for me, I give it a solid cool.

QUOTE(Phix @ Dec 5 2006, 06:16 PM) *
The 400 horsepower engine produced around 400 horsepower

tongue.gif
moe
When it was first released...I cried a little bit. The 355 is my favorite Ferrari of all time, and this monstrosity looked nowhere near as pretty...it didn't even look like a Ferrari to me. However, the looks grew on me, not to mention the motoring press loved it. So its frozen.
clarkma5
Pfft 355 gets the award for Ferrari's most boring looking car.
PBB
Amen. The F355 is one of the few cars that actually looks better as a cheesy kitcar. See MR2 conversions.
infinity
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Dec 6 2006, 03:11 PM) *
Pfft 355 Mondial gets the award for Ferrari's most boring looking car.
fixed.
Windshield
Staple for gangster rappers.
Quite possibly the blandest Ferrari ever created.
tune
I actually think this is one of the best looking Ferrari's ever.
dukenukem
I have never really liked how the 360 looked ..barring the CS version. For some reason it just looks like grinning fat chik !
Dr. Strangelove
Uncool. Its a good car but uncool.
redlinehappiness
I don't know, I loved the F355 and the 360 both. I vote cool because this is pretty much what came to mind when someone said Ferrari. (That was before I got into cars)
Pinecone
My lips are like the same color as the first picture.
bing5500
I put uncool because...and I can't believe I'm saying this...but I rather have a Z06 then this Ferrari.
Phix
QUOTE(bing5500 @ Dec 10 2006, 01:21 PM) *
I put uncool because...and I can't believe I'm saying this...but I rather have a Z06 then this Ferrari.

You... monster... eek.gif
Easton
Cool - I agree in that it's one of the best looking Ferrari's out there, at that really low/distant angle the front end is extraordinarily attractive. In fact, I really can't think of many cars that are more attractive at that really low front 3/4 angle.
midnightdorifto
QUOTE(Phix @ Dec 10 2006, 01:22 PM) *
You... monster... eek.gif

I agree with him. But that's only because I want something fast.

And I still put frozen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.