Full Version: Ferrari F50
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Cool
Phix

Power: 513bhp @ 8500rpm
Torque: 347lb/ft @ 6500rpm
Curb Weight: 2712lbs
Drivetrain Layout: Mid-Engined / RWD
Transmission: 6-spd manual

The Ferrari F50 is a high-performance supercar made by Ferrari. The F50 was introduced in 1995 to celebrate the company's 50th anniversary. The car is a two door, two seat convertible sports car with a removable hardtop. It had a 4.7 L naturally-aspirated 60-valve V12 engine that was developed from Ferrari's Formula One engines.

Only 349 cars were made, one less than Ferrari estimated they could sell. This was, in the words of Ferrari spokesman Antonio Ghini, because "Ferraris are something cultural, a monument. They must be hard to find, so we will produce one less car than the market." The last F50 was produced in Maranello, Italy in July 1997.

The F50's engine predated the car: It was used in the American IMSA racing series' F333SP racing car of 1994.

Author's Take

I hate it. It comes off as extremely tacky looking rather than elegant. Yes, it's superior to the F40 mechanically but from a character point of view? Very cheap. Fortunately, IMO, the Enzo didn't end up like the F50. :/
clarkma5
One of Ferrari's low points. It's vile, it was unlivable on the street...bleh.
DakianDelomast
On the fence.
Cyclone
I always loved the F50. Poo on you, I think its frozen.
PBB
The F50 is one of my least favorite supercars of all time, ugly and it's a convertible. The racing derived V12 keeps it away from Jacko though. Uncool.
infinity
Beautiful, powerful, rare, quick, iconic, frozen.

edit: MJU? you cant be serious. i can understand not being a big fan of it, but saying a car of this nature is MJU is just not right.
Phix
QUOTE(infinity935 @ Dec 5 2006, 08:49 PM) *
Beautiful, powerful, rare, quick, iconic, frozen.

edit: MJU? you cant be serious. i can understand not being a big fan of it, but saying a car of this nature is MJU is just not right.

This was an uber disappointment considering what came before it. I stand by my MJU.
Tirminyl
And I stand by my MJU. This is the ugliest Ferrari IMO and completely worthless. A pile of crap that I wish they never created!
leif
Its ugly, but then again so were alot of the "supercars" of this era...the "styled wedge" generation...but still I digress.

when I think F40 or Enzo, I think cool ppl own these cars...people who wanted a race car for the road...People who would get a burger. When I think of the F50 I think of chubby professional types who eat at resturants which serve little portions of food to people who "get it".

I hope this makes my feelings clear...but I doubt it will.

Un Cool.
Phix
QUOTE(leif @ Dec 5 2006, 09:01 PM) *
Its ugly, but then again so were alot of the "supercars" of this era...the "styled wedge" generation...but still I digress.

when I think F40 or Enzo, I think cool ppl own these cars...people who wanted a race car for the road...People who would get a burger. When I think of the F50 I think of chubby professional types who eat at resturants which serve little portions of food to people who "get it".

I hope this makes my feelings clear...but I doubt it will.

Un Cool.

Um, considering that these cars were pretty much handed out to select Ferrari owners I imagine an F40 owner also has an F50 and an Enzo in his/her garage/collection as well.

Also... wtf? do you imagine F40 owners going to Burger King drive thrus or something?
eighteenseconds
i liked it when i was 13.

WHICH MEANS ITS FUCKING RAD.
leif
QUOTE(Phix @ Dec 5 2006, 08:32 PM) *
Um, considering that these cars were pretty much handed out to select Ferrari owners I imagine an F40 owner also has an F50 and an Enzo in his/her garage/collection as well.

Also... wtf? do you imagine F40 owners going to Burger King drive thrus or something?

No, In 'n Out is more what I was thinking...I dunno...its just the feeling I get from the cars, the F50 seems more like a Yuppie mobile than the F40 or Enzo.
tune
I think it's awesome and to non-car enthusiasts, you would be cool if you had one. Frozen motherfucka!
Dr. Strangelove
I clicked cool, then uncool and just before I hit submit... I changed it to cool.
dukenukem
not nearly as charasmatic as the F40 or the F60 Enzo
redlinehappiness
[PGR3/]

[\PGR3]
tune
Hell yeah!
Phix
Keep in mind... we're not VOTING for the F50 GT.

We're voting for the F50 street version. Please keep that mind.
Pinecone
I was on the verge between Cool and Uncool. The F40 captured my heart, but this car was a few clicks from the fridge.
Boxster17
One of the few Ferrari's that I actually like. I'll give it a cool.
DakianDelomast
My ass is starting to hurt from all this fence sitting.
fiber optic
That means it's uncool.
moe
I voted cool. I prefer it to the Enzo, but it was the replacement for the F40, which is one of the coolest cars ever created. That's a lot to live up to, and if the F40 is frozen (which of course it is), this is certainly not.
skr
I'm starting to wonder if this car influenced the design of the Maserati MC12.
moe
QUOTE(leif @ Dec 6 2006, 05:59 AM) *
No, In 'n Out is more what I was thinking...I dunno...its just the feeling I get from the cars, the F50 seems more like a Yuppie mobile than the F40 or Enzo.

The Enzo may have been the biggest yuppie mobile of all time...I don't see how this is a "yuppie" car at all actually. The F50 strikes me as a car that only an enthusiast could appreciate.
Dr. Strangelove
Listen, we are giving out frozens too easily. You cannot be on the fence on weather or not a car is frozen. Frozen is the absolute coolest a car can be. This is not, neither are many of the cars that are in the forzen section.
leif
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Dec 14 2006, 01:30 PM) *
The Enzo may have been the biggest yuppie mobile of all time...I don't see how this is a "yuppie" car at all actually. The F50 strikes me as a car that only an enthusiast could appreciate.

How is the Enzo a yuppie mobile?

anything with exposed CF (dash inserts dont count), no stereo, and 600+bhp is not for yuppies...

Yuppies drive F430s, 911s, CLKs, SLKs, and other things...
Halflifehavock13
I gave it a cool because I think it's aged well so far.
Keitero-sama
It's so ugly, but then again, that V12 is just pushing it into uncool. Uncool it is for me, no higher nor lower.
ExoticTuner
I'd rather have an F40
johnny.msyl.25
F50 is just not a cool car. Voted it uncool. I'd prefer F40 over it. Ferrari has just done wrong with this one. thumbs_down.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.