Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV - VI
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Cool
PBB

The Lancer Evolution was unique among its competitors in the World Rally Championship in that it is a homologated Group A car slightly modified to be able to race competitively against WRC class cars. They were successful in the WRC Rallies from 1996-1999, thanks to the Finn Tommi Makinen, for clinching the driver's titles from 1996-1999, and the help of teammate Richard Burns for clinching the manufacturer's championship for the first time in 1998.

The fourth (IV), fifth (V) and sixth (VI) gen. are often the favorite among Evo enthusiasts as they provided the rawest combination of low weight, big power and performance oriented AWD systems. Over these three generations, power offically stayed the same at 276 bhp due the gentleman's agreement among Japanese automakers. Torque, however, increased from 250 lb/ft in the IV to more than 275 lb/ft in the VI with an unofficial similar increase in horsepower. Weight increased from a rather lean 2775 pounds to just under 3000.

More info about the different generations.

Personally, I can't see these cars as being frozen. One the best WRC homologations ever, bulldog tenacity at the track and some would even say they look good. But when it comes to being a cool rally-inspired road car, the plebian Evo can't hold a candle to the greats such as the Lancia Stratos and the Subaru 22B. Cool vote cast.
Halflifehavock13
I'm giving it a cool only because they weren't sold here in the states.
clarkma5
Eh, cool, and not a very strong-hearted one.
Phix
I've always had a special place in my heart for Lancer Evolutions.

Frozen.
Cyclone
I love it. This generation of Evo was always my favorite for some reason. Too bad we didn't get them sad.gif
infinity
A solid cool. Not as much of a fan of these as the more recent EVOs, but cool nonetheless for sure.

edit: Cyclone your avatar still helps me through my days thumbs_up.gif
tune
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Dec 6 2006, 01:23 AM) *
I love it. This generation of Evo was always my favorite for some reason. Too bad we didn't get them sad.gif

Which generation?!

I prefer to see older Evo's than brand new ones. frzn
PBB
Tune, the first Evo the US market got officially was the Evo 8. Combined, there are probably less than 200 total Evo 1-7s in the entire country.
Phix
QUOTE(PBB @ Dec 11 2006, 01:46 PM) *
Tune, the first Evo the US market got officially was the Evo 8. Combined, there are probably less than 200 total Evo 1-7s in the entire country.

...and most of them are being used in rally/rallycross/some form of motorsport.
tune
PBB that wasn't my point, I was asking which generation he was referring to, seeing as there are 3 to choose from. I know they're quite similar, but still.
clarkma5
QUOTE(tune @ Dec 11 2006, 03:10 PM) *
PBB that wasn't my point, I was asking which generation he was referring to, seeing as there are 3 to choose from. I know they're quite similar, but still.

All three are part of the same "generation" of car, so he meant the 4, 5, and 6 simultaneously.
moe
I'll give it a frozen. I've always loved teh look of these cars.
skr
These cars helped pave the way for the AWD turbo market in America. I vote cool.

Edit: It helped pave the way for the compact 4 door AWD turbo market in America.
eraser_rx
5 has the most aggressive looking.......
Keitero-sama
Only Evos worth buying. Cool.
Mazdaspeed
QUOTE(Keitero-sama @ Dec 26 2006, 11:04 PM) *
Only Evos worth buying. Cool.

well thats just crazy.

anything with a 4G63 is worth buying damnit
arnge
i hated them , then i drove one.

a very cool car.

and the power was amazing.
Phix

What the shit? The rear wheels are two differnet thread styles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.